SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

We 've all heard stories of vintage cars found derelict in old barns.
I, for long wanted a Country Cousin, the one I already have being, and this is an euphemism, not the best example of Queen's work.
I appreciate yellow sodbusters, I have a yellow carbon Jr Case, an Imperial, and a Rough Rider. Even if not my Grail knife, I regret I could not get the yellow Jr sized Moore Maker.
So, I could not believe my eyes when I saw a new yellow Country Cousin for sale (along a Mountain man) in a smalll Belgian town's cutlery shop. Price was in par with Case (in Europe) and I ordered it last monday.
Wallonie is about 200km away (in fact much nearer than Thiers) and his inhabitants are well known for being jolly people.
This morning a smiling postman handed me a fairly large box and I was puzzled when it read ferments for ale... At least did it come from Belgium.
Inside was a small Queen box and a wooden cutting board (a bonus).
The best was yet to come : the CC is an early one with the cousin's face and hat etching, finish as fine as it gets, the exact opposite of the one I have already.
View attachment 1543392
View attachment 1543393
Is this the Moore Maker you desire? If so, maybe we can find a way to get it to you someday.
PSX_20210419_170857.jpg

As far as size, shape, and steel; the Country Cousin is my favorite sodbuster type knife. Every one I have had has had a hint of side to side play in the blade, but since it is the only shortcoming it has in my opinion, I am willing to overlook it
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
No play on both of mine, but I use them only for light tasks (kitchen, dinner, paper cutting, etc.) Too bad they don't exist anymore, the delrin(?) is warmer in hand and in colors than Case's.

I recently acquired this sodbuster and it has become and instant favorite.
nJGeatq.jpg

That’s a good looking knife! :thumbsup: I love a deep sharpening choil. :D

I tried to wait for the Case Copperhead to come in stock at Collector Knives, but in the end the temptation was just too great, lol. I just had to snag one of Mike's Maserin Plow Sodbuster exclusives, and I'm glad I did. It's a sweet knife and it has already been getting some use around the yard. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend grabbing one. Mike also has these goat skin leather chamois on his website that I also highly recommend. They are fantastic for removing fingerprints off of knives. I like them way more than micro-fiber cloths.

Thanks @knifeswapper!

dbWBThk.jpg

Jo9v1vW.jpg

TxNG2qE.jpg

Maserin Plow in D2 tool steel and blue burlap micarta, from CKs. View attachment 1555109
I have a natural micarta version coming my way. D2 is one blade steel I don't have a lot of experience with. Will it patina with use or not so much? I enjoy patina so I hope some will form over time.

I have a natural micarta version coming my way. D2 is one blade steel I don't have a lot of experience with. Will it patina with use or not so much? I enjoy patina so I hope some will form over time.

In my experience... Kind of. D2 is right on the verge of what would be considered stainless. Rather than a uniform patina like you get on a high carbon/low chromium knife, it's been more "blotchy" on my knives with there being areas that don't seem to take the patina as well. One thing that confuses me is that my D2 knives seem to be more prone to pepper spots than some of my knives that are nowhere close to stainless.

In my experience... Kind of. D2 is right on the verge of what would be considered stainless. Rather than a uniform patina like you get on a high carbon/low chromium knife, it's been more "blotchy" on my knives with there being areas that don't seem to take the patina as well. One thing that confuses me is that my D2 knives seem to be more prone to pepper spots than some of my knives that are nowhere close to stainless.
That's an interesting observation. And thank you for the feedback. I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing how it goes.

Have you found a grit finish that you like? Toothy or polished?

I am interested in this question as well :thumbsup:

My D2 proved a bit challenging to sharpen ( I am not really experienced at it)

From factory it had a very coarse toothy edge. It would not slice paper at all yet somehow it could "shave" hair ... don't know exactly how but I had bare spots on my arms to prove it.

I went with a polished mirror edge against sound advise from others and my own gut feelings. I can not resist the allure of a polished edge lol but the novelty will wear off and I will get more practical I hope.

I will go for a toothy edge.

That's an interesting observation. And thank you for the feedback. I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing how it goes.

I like a toothy edge on my knives with D2. I tried a polished edge at first, but it seemed to lose it's razor edge a bit quicker than some other steels. It holds a working edge for quite a long time with a toothy finish though. I imagine the high volume of chromium carbides is a big part of why it seems to perform best with a toothy edge.

I am interested in this question as well :thumbsup:

My D2 proved a bit challenging to sharpen ( I am not really experienced at it)

From factory it had a very coarse toothy edge. It would not slice paper at all yet somehow it could "shave" hair ... don't know exactly how but I had bare spots on my arms to prove it.

I went with a polished mirror edge against sound advise from others and my own gut feelings. I can not resist the allure of a polished edge lol but the novelty will wear off and I will get more practical I hope.

I will go for a toothy edge.

I like a toothy edge on my knives with D2. I tried a polished edge at first, but it seemed to lose it's razor edge a bit quicker than some other steels. It holds a working edge for quite a long time with a toothy finish though. I imagine the high volume of chromium carbides is a big part of why it seems to perform best with a toothy edge.
Thank you both for the input. I was figuring a toothy edge also and have been messing with them in other folders. I think I enjoy them a lot more than the polished edges I did previously.

5oje2kQ.jpg

The bullnose was my first GEC and got a lot of pocket time and hard use, especially in the garden. The case belongs to my son, though he's a bit young to use it at only 5 years old. Soon enough.
The Herder sodbuster I got as a reminder of what my ancestors may have carried as farmers back in Germany in the 1800s, of course I have no idea what or if they carried a knife while working the land, but I can imagine.

I have a case 4138 which recently developed side-to-side blade play. Is there any way to tighten this up and eliminate the play?
Thanks

I have a case 4138 which recently developed side-to-side blade play. Is there any way to tighten this up and eliminate the play?
Thanks
There’s some good information in this recent thread about case sod buster rivets and how to tighten them.
I have not tried it myself.

Back