1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SOG 2015 releases - wtf happened to this company?

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by retzius, Feb 11, 2015.

1. raistlin65

raistlin65

Jan 13, 2014
    What I don't understand is why SOG doesn't make most of their classic fixed blade designs in higher grade steel models. They have many happy customers who have owned their knives for 20, 30 years, who now have more disposable income, and would be interested in buying a knife in something other than AUS-8 steel. Seems an inability to recognize what part of their existing market they have not tapped. Even Cold Steel gets that.

2. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Lostviking - You are absolutely right. In the last couple of decades the business' of this country have been taken over by those "bean counters" who won't blink for a second to maximize profits at the expense of absolutely everything else. And that includes the long term viability of the company.

DRE - LOL. I never stopped to think how funny that sounds.

rasitlin65 - I doubt SOG could not do that now as their classics, in today's versions, are all being made in Taiwan.

SOG Knives from AGR Catalog Christmas 1991:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. defiant-1

defiant-1

Sep 26, 2011
    Great set of knives there, Ken.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
    d-1

4. raistlin65

raistlin65

Jan 13, 2014
    I don't know why not. They can get the steel from somewhere else. For example, my ESEE Becker kitchen knives are German steel but put together in Taiwan.

What a nice set of knives in that ad. :)

5. GlockMonster30

GlockMonster30

Nov 19, 2008
    I saw in walmart today SOG has a line of backpacks. They looked well built.
    It is sad though to see this company going in this direction. I do love the SOG's
    I have though!

6. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Probably Krupp 4116 I would imagine. VG1 and VG10 Takefu's most popular steels are, as far as I remember, not exportable.
    Furthermore large blades using these steels as a core in laminates are only produced in Japan.

7. spidanzas

spidanzas

Feb 11, 2015
    Just stick to the original designs, plus the Creed (2007) mostly fixed blades and don't buy all those funky ones.