Sog aegis

UPDATE!
Ive been like...
dog_tired.jpg

like, alll damn week.
It was not a good couple of days in the Life of DRod.
Getting the Aegis was about the ONLY good think that went right all week.
Just a bunch of work shite mostly...
I just got off work and typed this up so bear with me as I am about to butcher your notion of spelling and grammar. :)

BUT, on to the Aegis. Don't have pics because the charger was plugged into an outlet on a "on/off" wall, and I flipped the switch not thinking as I left for work last night. :crash:

Anyway...
Blade. Love the blade, perfect and fully flat. Its not too thick of a blade either. But the overall knife is medium to large in hand. Blade length is comparable to the Military, only just a C. Hunt hairs shorter in cutting edge. Its just as wide though, but uses the thumb stud in place of a hole. The bevel was Spyderco like as well. Nice and acute, sharpens quite easily on the Sharpmaker and comes to a nice and hair popping edge. Doesn't hold it quite as well but thats to be expected from AUS's steels. The shape is so much like a Spyderco it doesn't even need mentioning, as im sure its obvious. JIMPING! it has some, but they mffed it up!!! This pisses me off actually. Ok, the jimping on the blade is nice and sharp and works REALLY well, almost too well as it can rip your skin on the thumb, BUT heres the catch. Its going the WRONG WAY! Its orented to grip your thumb as you PULL your thumb BACK and down away from the tip. Not like Spydercos, BM's and every thing else found in a knife guys pocket these days. Really, I cant understand this... But, it does work. :crash:

K... The handle... what can I say about the... oh yah, its comfy and grippy. The "digital" molded FRN works better than I figured it would and feels really nice. It grips more in a twisting grip than a "stabbing" forward and backward grip. Meaning, more of the raised surface of the actual grip is contacting and gripping your hand if you run your hand from spine to the front slot. And the ends of the little raised "bars" contact when your hand is moved from pivot to clip. It seems to me that they would be more useful if they were rotated 90* but probably wouldn't look quite as nice. On to the "SOGSOGSOGSOGSOGSOG" Bars that grace the grips. It looks neat and it looks like a rubber grip but.. ITS FRN TOO!? Yah, I don't quite get that either, it works and it grips but its inlayed and looks like it would be a rubber type grip but its not?! I really don't know what to think of that honestly. I thought I remembered Nutnfancy from YouTube saying that they were rubber. I could be wrong. He's got a REALLY good set of videos on the Aegis by the way. K... The molded jimpping behind the blade area is molded the wrong way around too, to match the wrong way around jimping on the blade... So its pretty much aesthetic only, in my honest opinion. There is also jimping on the butt of the knife and it works a little better but again... WRONG WAY! That takes us to the front of the knife, slot side if you will... The large scalloped jimping works and actually feels nice. Doesn't work quite as well as some others but it sure feels alot nicer than sharper edged jimps. I like the front set more than the blades, thumb, and butt sections. :tup: there. The profile and grip feel natural and nice in hand, ALOT like a Spyderco, I like.

CLIP! We probably all know about SOG's clips on their FRN knives. Suffice it to say, it works well and carries DEEEEEEEEEP. However, it does have its quirks. Mine came WAY to tight and took too hands to pull it out of my pocket and wouldn't go down all the way when in the pocket. So I had to take it off and give it a little physical persuasion. Fits and works MUCH better now and works as advertised. I like it. But one thing about it that I kinda dont like is the single screw mount. It lets it move a little more than I'd like it too even when its tight. I tried to tighten mine up to delete this movement only to see a slight crack or white line start to form in the FRN so I decided to stop. Still works and feels great though, just can't over tighten it. :(

ON to the LOCK.
Arch Lock I believe is the name of it. It works, and its comfortable to use. I took mine apart to eyeball all the cash and prizes inside and found it to work just as I figured. A sliding bar in a track that is pushed up behind the tang of the blade and infront of the spine of the knife. The outside "arch" pulls the bar down along the spine of the handle to disengage the lock. Works well but doesn't feel quite as refined as the beloved Axis. This model has the safety, and I like most people feel its rather redundant and not needed. Thats that.

K. Finally to the Fit and Finish of this little... article...
The blade is almost perfect, nice and splinter picking sharp tip. Came hair splitting sharp. I say almost perfect because the bevel isn't quite steady down the edge. It looks hand ground and some wont mind, I don't really care either way as long as its close to even and sharp. I usually reprofile mine eventually so it doesn't bug me much, but I know there are some out there that will be bothered by it more than me.
I file "Lock up" under fit and finish and here is that portion.
The lock up leaves some to be desired. It doesn't feel bad but there is movement in the pivot swing motion. ZERO side to side once you snug it up a bit but there is about three quarters of a millimeter of movement at the tip. I think its got more to do with the lockup involving the FRN spine of the knife. I feel that FRN gives a little and thats where the movement comes from, because its not a clicky wiggle or loose like a lockback, but more of a push and it gives a little movement. It honestly bugged me more when I got it than it does now. I compare it to a lockback.

Oh yah, the Assisted opening... Not much to say, it snaps open fast. It opens faster than the Flash II my friend at work had. Its Blur fast really, once you sweetspot it. Getting the side to side play out while keeping the opening speed.

Overall, I like it and feel its worth the little bit of bank you'll exchange for it. Fits great in the hand, rides stealthy deep in the pocket and cuts like a knife.
Deploys fast and snappy. Not much else to say. I think if you try one, you'll like it. I'll be carrying it for the next few weeks to get a better "working opinion" of it but cannot honestly see it bumping my 710 from my pocket indefinitely.

I think thats it....
I'll get pics later.
Google Nutnfancy's review for a good look too.

DR Thanks for the extensive review,well done.:D
I'm not sure, whether I should purchase one or not?:confused:
It appears that you have a few disappointments with the build , lock up and blade play. After watching Nutfancy's excitement on the vid, he must be working for SOG, to talk it up so_Or maybe he just over looked the issues that you brought up, either way, it still looks like a nice change from the Flash series.

I like it much more than the Flash series. One thing I notice about it is the lock slider doesnt slide all the way forward when its open. But you can push it all the way and when it gets all the way forward, there is a ball detent that holds it there. I cant figure out why. After looking at it a bit while I had it apart the otherday, I can see how it can be converted to an auto, VERY easily. In an auto form, the lock slider would move forward completely in the slot. So maybe, what Im thinking is, the knife is engineered to accomidate an auto variation.

After watching nutnfancy's video and reading the comments here I'm definitely going to treat myself to one of these for my birthday in a few months. I just hope they won't be back ordered to eternity by then.

Back