SOG Creed or BK9

[/Uwhich would be your choice for a primary knife 4 day hiking trip in north minesotta in winter.
SOG Creed or Bk9?
Thanx for yr opinion. Am from So. Fla., going with my son, hunter lives there.

What you going to use them for? I personally like the BK-9. Haven't looked at a SOG Creed in a long time. It has a 7.5" blade in AUS-8. I tend to carry a 5-6" blade hiking if I have no planned use for one (along with a folder). The BK-7 is a bit smaller and a reasonable choice for a large knife.

I would go with the BK9. Carbon steel is much more reliable in a larger knife.

n2s

Love the look of the creed. I've had a lot of SOGs. Never found a creed with a price tag I could justify. I would go with the BK9 hands down if the choice was between the two. That said, heck of a lot of weight to hump for 4 days in the Minnesota winter. Why these two choices? What do you need them for?

From Florida to a Minnesota winter hike? Now that's courage. The BK 9 is a really solid performer, but after 2 days hiking I admit to moving it to my pack. But given your choices, I would totally take the 9 and then spend a bit of time making the rig more comfortable. As above, the 7 is a good lighter option, and if you are talking serious distance I would probably bring the 4 or the 10 instead.

The 9. But you might want to consider a smaller fixed blade and a good folding saw.

I just spent 5 days in the BWCA with my BK16 and a good saw.
I would go with the 9 but it is more then you need.

bk9, not heavy. just want it, 'because',... it's there, and..great to know it's there. Back up planning on ESEE 4P SS.

yes... thanks for yr input. throwing a one-hand Victorinox One handed opener., Excellent saw as welll as common tools for equipment.

The 9, but you could do the 4 ane save a lot of weight (and money) and get almost the same ability.

You think? Actually chopped w/it and was perfect for me. Add a lanyard, GREAT.

Yup, I do. Since the hand slides a bit during chopping, I find finger grooves and a textured handle on a chopper poor design. Note how the Becker has neither. Similarly with other choppers like Junglases, kukris, machetes, axes, etc etc etc.

YMMV...and you asked.

Well, all I'm thinking, is those 2 bad boys would be ideal. Plus, am not doing the "Revanent" Excursion. Must, however, tell my son to have the the foot on the brakes.

Well, all I'm thinking, is those 2 bad boys would be ideal. Plus, am not doing the "Revanent" Excursion. Must, however, tell my son to have the the foot on the brakes.

You can certainly take both if you want...it sounds like a great time. :thumbup:

Though not really sure why you asked "which one" then, though. :confused:

Have fun! Bash the bejeebus outta something for me!

Don't own any of them two, but I like SOG Creed more than Bk, ergonomics, design, probably very functional and tough blade...

I don't own the SOG but I did chop down and limb a cedar tree yesterday for a customer with my well used BK9. The 9 is a comfortable and capable large knife with a full exposed tang and the handles have just enough texture to give a good grip without getting hot spots. I have used the 9 for hours at a time and had it still shave after.

Back