SOG Field Knife Sheath

Hi,

I've seen pictures (although not on the SOG site) of a Field Knife sheath with a strap for holding the knife in place, but SOG describes a friction fit (no strap means can only be mounted handle side up.

Anybody know if SOG changed the sheath or were some pictures incorrect?

Any comments on the sheath?

Pete

Pete, as far as I know the Field knife has always come with the Pouch style friction fit sheath. Ron Anderson or Chris@SOG would know for sure.

I make a leather sheath for the Field knife that has a retaining strap. Check my Signature line for pics. Is it the one you have seen? :)

Heber

If I recall the series of events correctly, an all leather sheath with restraining strap was issued for first generation Field Knives. The redesigned sheath was introduced when the Field Pup came to market. The new sheath was a leather/kydex hybrid friction fitting sheath.

Hope this helps.

Ron: thanks for the info. I have no experience with friction style sheaths, so I was a bit concerned about the knife staying put when put into a hip pack, etc.

Heber: I've actually seen both style of sheaths from SOG on various web sites. However, I have seen your pictures and like your sheaths a lot. Nice work. I might have to try giving my own sheath-making a go. Would be nice to have one that would strap to a belt with a snap, so it could be removed conveniently. It's surprising how few sheaths do this. I've got a Leatherman sheath (I own three different Leatherman multitools) that clips to a belt. But I like the ones you've made for the Field Knife.

kc0byy said:
Ron: thanks for the info. I have no experience with friction style sheaths, so I was a bit concerned about the knife staying put when put into a hip pack, etc.
Personally, I've been quite skeptical of the friction method of knife retention. But, I know SOG has gone to great lengths to make this method work and I've witnessed it working in all but "serious field applications." I've neither taken the knife at length in the field nor talked with someone who has, so I can't say, "yes, it works in these instances." If I were carrying it, I would use more caution than other sheath types to assure the knife does not slip out during strenuous activities.

Looks like this all might be mute for my purchase decision anyway as I've been calling a lot of online knife shops and no one has the SOG field knife in stock :grumpy: Looks like I might have to reset my search and go with another brand :(

pete

Yep. No Joy (see other post on seconds for a more detailed reply to your suggestion).

pete

Just talked to SOG customer service rep about a Field Knife second. She offered me a choice of sheaths--the leather/kydex combo one for the Field knife or the full kydex one that comes with the X-42 Recondo.

Any thoughts?

thanks
pete

my suggestion for source would be SOG themselves, buying the knife as a Factory 2nd.

I bought one this way, with the leather/kydex sheath. I then added my own homemade leather strap around the handle.

Cheers,

Carl

New Pig Hunter said:
my suggestion for source would be SOG themselves, buying the knife as a Factory 2nd.

I bought one this way, with the leather/kydex sheath. I then added my own homemade leather strap around the handle.

Cheers,

Carl

Which he in turn sold to me. And then I made it some leather pants. :D I love this knive!

Heber

Heber,

I've seen the leather pants you've made for your Field Knife. You've done good work. I eventually would like a sheath like yours.

pete

Did you mean they said either sheath would fit either knife (interchange) ? I did not know this if this is what you mean, I have never tried this, if they will, no question I would choose kydex for either knife, it is a very tough sheath........what do you plan to use your knife for ?
The X-42 is a very serious looking knife. :eek: It has a certain look and feel to it that you just have to see in person. Also be aware that the X-42 "TINI" finish will scratch under some circumstances, like course abrasives or any sharpening done with a diamond stone, other than this, it holds up well against normal cutting like ropes or any other semi-soft material like wood.

Both knives are two of the most comfortable I have ever held. (next to the Revolver :D ) The field knife sheath seems more subdued to me, it is a friction sheath and I read somewhere in a past thread that it held very well. You have to decide which knife/sheath you want by what you plan to do with it. I think each knife will perform well, but I also feel that each knife has it's own areas of expertise. IMO, the names of the knives pretty well describe what each knife was made for, you have to decide which is best for you.

Hope this helps.
Robbie Roberson ;)
P.S. Heber is making some leather sheaths now that are amazing, you should consider one of these in the future for optional carry. I have about three I think, all are perfect.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking at buying a X-42 Field Knife second. The available seconds are the BG-42 steel--not the S30V steel. When I called SOG, they offered me either the sheath that comes with the Field Knife or the full kydex sheath for the Recondo. The person said that the Rcondo full kydex sheath would work.

As far as use, I currently have, besides some other sorts of collectible knives, a Doug Ritter Benchmade folder made with S30V steel. Very nice. I've been wanting a fixed blade knife for essentially camping. The SOG Field Knife with X-42 steel looks like a good bet. Just have to decide on the sheath (or scabbard as SOG calls them).

Pete

If they only have BG-42, you really should jump on this, I heard from a VERY good source last fall at Rep. show that this steel would no longer be available on SOG knives. I own one knife with this steel and hope to buy a few more very soon.

Do it man ! You know you want it ! :D Just kidding, take your time, just tell us which one you choose and how you like it.

Robbie Roberson ;)

pete,

I concur with Robbie and wildmanh, the Field Knife w/ BG-42 steel is a great knife. (wildmanh got mine because I couldn't take his begging and pleading anymore). As I wrote above, I like that steel.

If you can get one from the SOG folks themselves, I'd certainly "second" (pun intended) Robbie's recommendation to jump on the opportunity.

And if the SOG folks tell you either sheath will work, I'd go with the full kydex sheath. I have this sheath with my X-42 Recondo and like it well enough. As regards the Recondo: it snug-fits into it's sheath, plus there is a nylon strap around the handle to provide more security. That I like very much.

I cannot however offer knowledgeable comment about the fit of the Field Knife into the Recondo full-kydex sheath. I just checked my Recondo sheath and it seems just a tad small to accommodate the Field Knife.
BUT if the SOG folks say it's OK, then it's OK.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I also have a Heber-made leather sheath for my Kabar, and can recommend his work. It also nicely fits a couple of other knives I have so the sheath gets high marks for that.

I'm definitely buying a Field Knife second. Although the customer support rep said the sheath for the Recondo should work, I'm a bit skeptical. In part based on Carl's comment, but when I put up photos of the Recondo knife and sheath up next to the Field Knife, it just looks like the belly of the Field Knife is too large to fit because the Recondo looks like it tapers in quite a bit. I'll talk to SOG again about the fit. It just doesn't look like it would work due to (a) Field Knife blade is a bit longer and (b) the blade shape looks wider.

And yes, Robbie, I really do want to do it :)

Pete

Yes, the kydex sheath from the Recondo with work perfectly for the Field Knife. It was one of those things where after the Field Knife and its sheath were in production, somehow we found out that the Recondo sheath would work perfectly as an alternate. I can't remember if it was an internal revelation or if a customer asked, resulting in the discovery. Regarding the "tight" fit, the Kydex sheaths are adjustable for tension.

Ron (and others)

So looks like the full kydex sheath for the Recondo is preferrable to the stock sheath for the Field Knife? I assume it can be attached to a regular leather belt (not just a military-style belt)? I've never seen the back of the sheath and don't know how specialized it is.

pete

kc0byy said:
Ron (and others)

So looks like the full kydex sheath for the Recondo is preferrable to the stock sheath for the Field Knife? I assume it can be attached to a regular leather belt (not just a military-style belt)? I've never seen the back of the sheath and don't know how specialized it is.

pete
Which is best is a "subjective" matter. And yes, it can be used on a standard leather belt.

Back