SOG Field Knife Sheath

same as pete, I was wondering too about the belly of the Field Knife being too large..... but if Ron says the Field Knife will fit into the full-kydex sheath, then it's a done deal....

the belt loop of my full-kydex Recondo sheath has two snaps in the back, so the loop can be opened, fit over a belt, then the loop closed and the snaps snapped. thus no problem fitting over a leather belt, and I'll guesstimate a 3" belt can be accommodated.
and the sheath rivets are the kind which have holes through their center so you can lash the sheath into any position imaginable using (for example) paracord.

Yep, I'm still thinking the full-kydex sheath is the best way to go.

Cheers,

Carl

Ordered up a second of the X-42 Field Knife with the full Kydex Recondo sheath. The customer support rep (I think her name was Beth) that took my order was friendly and helpful. She did express a bit of doubt about the Field Knife fitting into the Recondo sheath. However, when I mentioned this forum and particulary Ron saying that it would work, she immediately said I must have the right info. She also said that if I didn't like the sheath, just give her a call. Wow. Good price, helpful service, and actually made in the USA.

Thanks guys. I think I spent more time deciding on the sheath than I did choosing the knife :) I think I might actually have more sheaths for various knives than knives themselves.

This will be a great excuse to start the camping season early this year athough even in May I seem to always get snowed on here in Colorado :)

Pete

Congrats on the order, you definitely jammed down my "envy button" !!!

and you note that Ron definitely has the horsepower...... like I've said before, if it weren't for Ron I'd still be thinking a $2 Taiwan special is a great knife.

now's a good time to begin exploring exactly how you're gonna keep the "sharp" on the Field Knife. BG-42 is really really hard and just laughs at my $5 plastic sharpening thingie, my own sharpening method mentioned elsewhere does not work.
My pal Tim swears by the Chef'sChoice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Knife Sharpener. Definitely pricey, but I trust his judgement.

Cheers,

Carl

I've got a sharpening stone (two grades), but am not skilled at different angles although I can make a sharp edge. My regular use knives are a Leatherman Wave, Benchmade Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 (S30V steel), sometimes a classic Uncle Henry lockback, --and my Global cooking knives and SAK. I've got assorted other ones--Hen & Rooster, Marbles (with Stag handle), etc. While nice folders (they really are nice just to open once in a while :), they are not locking and so are inherently dangerous for serious cutting chores. No wonder my wife thinks this has become a fetish for me :) And her point is...?

Except for the kitchen knives, the SOG will be the first fixed blade I've bought since I was a teenager (which means it's been a very long time).

A friend of mine swears by his Chef's Choice although I don't know if it lets you change the angle. I was thinking of trying a Gatco Professional kit to give me more consistent angles of varying degrees. Anything more elaborate will have to wait for a replenishing of funds. I suppose this all belongs in another thread. :)

Pete

Back