SOG Folder recommendations

OK guys, I own four fixed blade sogs that I really like- Demo, Tech II, Seal Pup, and Seal Pup Elite, and I would like to try a sog folder. I now carry a CRKT Heiho, and have carried Benchmades and Spydercos in the past, but am ready to try a SOG. I want a good, affordable knife, as I want a worker not a collector. Any recommendations? Ya'lls help is appreciated...

slik

What price range do you consider affordable? What will you use the knife for; I know you say you want a "worker" but what does that mean?

Maybe instead of worker, EDC would be a better term. I want something to carry every day, not collectable. Price range, is about $100 or less, the best buy for the money! Does any of the SOGs have auto assist feaures? I'm also left handed, if that matters...

slik

Actually, I was thinking about a Trident- is it offered with a plain blade? What's the general consensus of this blade?

Trident is a cool knife if you like lots of blade play if your talking about the folder they open fast though

Sorry but a bit above your price range but my absolute favorite Sog folders are the Vulcan and Pentagon Elite II.

Not far behind and can be had for under $100 if you look around are the Spec Elite I & Pentagon Elite I.

Any of the Arc lock models are tough well made knives. The Vulcan though being my favorite.

I wanted to add, of the spring assisted models that seem to be the one's that develop blade play most often, I was able to buy several Sog Aegis Tanto's on sale and gave them as gifts. It's been a while now and the feed back I've gotten so far from friends has been pretty positive.

I'd still recommend for a "working" or harder use knife one of the Arc lock models. The Vulcan is a beast of a blade, very thick, strong and stout. Amazing how they managed to stuff so much blade into that handle.

Last edited:
I carry a SOG Flash II as an EDC quite regularly. It has been fantastic in that role, it is assisted opening, and it is under your budget.

As a "worker" I think the FF-10 Salute is hard to beat: about $30.00. I just got one. It's sharp, cheap, it does the job of cutting things. Made in China.

The SOG Visionary 1 & 2 are both amazing edc folding knives with vg-10 blade steel and the arc lock. The one has a 3 inch blade, the two has a 3.75 inch blade, can't go wrong with either one!!

Vulcan vote here, and I know I've seen very light users in excellent condition go for $90 if you can catch them. Not assisted, but one helluva knife. I'm a fan.

Vulcan or Visionary series. Don't get the San-mai blades though, the 420J2 Steel scratches too easily.

The SOG Visionary 1 & 2 are both amazing edc folding knives with vg-10 blade steel and the arc lock. The one has a 3 inch blade, the two has a 3.75 inch blade, can't go wrong with either one!!

My first quality knife was a visionary 1. It is a great knife. It felt good in the hand and I could open it with either the thumb or a flick. Sadly I lost it and decided to try a different SOG knife. I just got a mini trident tanto yesterday and i hate it. It is very harsh in hand. My thumb is sore from opening it as it is very stiff to start the process. I cannot flick to open this model. It just doesn't seem as high a quality as the Visionary. I would return it but it came in a blister pack which I had to tear apart to get at the knife.

Im not a fan of trident either, would not recommend. its a good enough knife, but feels so cheap sadly.

I have a flash II that I used to carry every day, no blade play, good lock up. I moved to a place where locking knives are illegal to carry though. I recently picked up a Slipzilla, it's got a nice feel, but needs to be broken in, the springs are so tight it's harder n heck to open, and forget about one handed deployment. That's why I carry my izula II. :)

Anyway, I think anyway can have a bad experience with a knife company (as far as all the blade play comments I see for SOG knives), I feel it's all about how the company handles it when you want it fixed.
C

Vulcan, aegis, or tomcat 3.0.
Vulcan(vg-10) is buttery smooth, has a flipper, and is ambidextrous.
Aegis(aus8) is assisted, light, and cheap(er).
Tomcat(vg-10) is an extremely smooth, rock solid beast of a knife, but there is no pocket clip. You can buy the alternative pouch it fits great horizontally in the small of your back. (ambidextrous)

I don't have the trident but i have the aegis which is very similar, and its great.

True some of the lower end stuff is junk. as with any company . All of them have their own trash, spyderco, hkmodels by benchmade low end cold steel ect. After years of buying and carrying folders since late 80s will say the spec elite 1 and 2 and pentagon elite 1 and 2 are by far one of the best bangs for the buck. The older sog titanium vision series are also wonderful knives. Ive had one for years and still find how smooth they open to be hard to compete with. I dont believe they make them anymore with the titanium handles but the standard ones are great also. the spec is in my rotation and carried more so than most thats including benchmade 810, spyderco pkal old benchmade emerson from 90s , microtech ultratech, and a few daltons. I just like a wide range, but honestly if i had to grab one for the end all knife probably gonna be the benchmade 810 or the sog spec 2.

Does any one know anything about the new flashback

Thanks to your question, I stopped by the SOG factory store yesterday. It turns out that they have only had the Flashback on display there for the last couple of weeks. Here are my observations.
The knife is a little like a Flash with a stainless steel coat wrapped on the outside. The knife’s weight is between a Flash and a Visionary. The blade profile is either a tanto or a drop point. Both can be had with a bright or TiNi finish.
IMHO, I like the feel of the knife. SOG says that the spring is stronger than in the Flash. If you have issues with the lock up of the Flash you probably won’t like the Flashback either. I like both knives but your results may vary.
For now I think we have to wait for these knives to make it into the supply chain of the wholesalers, or just pay full retail to get it now.
The SOG site has a very handy compare tool to look over their different products.

I just received a Blink which is a small assisted open knife. Pretty cool, but small. It was on sale for about $25.

I picked up a couple Magnadots (still in the package) and they were really cheap (that is why I bought 2). These are quite large folders. I've yet to touch them, but plan on putting one in each vehicle.

Back