SOG Fusion Thrower Broke

Has anyone else here used the new SOG fusion throwers. I had my set for 2 days and 1 has already broken. I've just been throwing it at a big dead tree in my yard. It hasn't been whacked on pavement or anything other than the tree and a sandy yard. I was really surprised because I have a Seal 2000 and a Trident and they've been great for over a year now. I guess that's why the fusion line is less expensive. I emailed SOG this evening, so I'm interested in how they'll respond and if they will replace it. Anyone else have this problem?

I have had one shear at the G in sog. I was throwing against hard trees and generally abusing them but SOG was quick to offer to replace it. The only gripe is that it would be greater in a plain carbon steel to match the great ergonomics.

That's right where mine broke, on the "G". The tree isn't that hard and I've thrown other knives at it without trouble. Hopefully SOG will offer to replace mine also. Thanks for the reply!

Zeedeegood

I am sorry to hear about the breakage of your throwing knife. I would recommend contact our warranty department at 425-771-6230 x229 or via email at warranty@sogknives.com. They will most likely want to see the knives and do a hardness test on them to help determine the cause of the breakage.

If you have further questions please let me know

Chris

Chris,
I have emailed the warrantee department but haven't heard back yet. Maybe I'll call the number you listed. Thanks for checking in on this, it seems like a good idea to test all 3 knives for the proper hardness. Hopefully I just got a dud. They throw really great and I like the fact that you can actually cut something with it if you want! Thanks again,
Denny

Wow! I just broke a second Fusion Thrower after about 25 throws and 3 misses. On the third miss it snapped in half in the exact same spot as the first knife, on the "G" where the lettering is. I think I definately got a bad batch. Still throwing at the same old tree. Maybe it's bad karma? After all, this is the same tree that broke off and smashed into my house destroying my son's room during Hurricane Charley!

I've thrown really cheap knives, like 3 for $10, without breakage. They bend and are hard to keep straight, but they don't break. I did have a Gil Hibben thrower break on me once which is really frustrating. I wonder if the steel SOG is using is too brittle for throwers? If so, there's going to be a lot more people having your experience. You might consider asking for a refund.

kiov

all i am gonna say is 'i told you so' not you specificly..... but all you guys that give me crap for talking trash about cold steal and sog...... yet not a week goes by that someone doesnt post something like this...... busse or bust.

SOG's customer service has been pretty prompt already and have asked me to send them back in. They're honoring the warrantee and I guess they'll check to see if this was something related to the hardening process. I hope it isn't the same with all of them breaking where the SOG letters are cut out in the handle. I love looking at the Busse knives but DAAAMN! they're a lot of money! I've had a Sog Trident folder for a year now with absolutely no problems and I can't hardly bring myself to spend that kind of money for a EDC knife like a busse. I did just get a Spyderco Bill Moran fixed blade and will be using it throughout the year. I may change my mind in the future as I learn more on these forums. I've learned a lot recently about the different metal properties so we'll see how it goes for future ordering!

I've had a Sog Trident folder for a year now with absolutely no problems and I can't hardly bring myself to spend that kind of money for a EDC knife like a busse. I did just get a Spyderco Bill Moran fixed blade and will be using it throughout the year.

I have the Spyderco Moran model also. Really like it. Can't afford a real Moran knife. Wish SOG would make a drop point skinner fixed blade, but I would go with a traditional belt sheath for it rather than the design that Spyderco has. A Dozier Sheath A would work really well with this knife too.

Glad to hear that SOG is addressing the broken blade problem. I have not had the need to deal with their warranty department and I'm glad to hear that they are responsive.

all i am gonna say is 'i told you so' not you specificly..... but all you guys that give me crap for talking trash about cold steal and sog...... yet not a week goes by that someone doesnt post something like this...... busse or bust.

Yes, Busse knives are very strong. They're also very heavy for their size, very thick bladed (excluding their zero edge), and very expensive. That latter drawback becomes even more glaring when the customer wants a finish other than roughened black-coat. Checking the Busse website, a Battlemistress in black-coat goes for $387. A Battlemistress with a semi-mirror finish costs $697.

Unless I'm mistaken, Busse Knives doesn't make a dedicated throwing knife, either.

Even if they did, a set of three today would cost $2,091 (not including shipping).

...which might be enough as a down payment on a W.F. Moran original. I hear you, 22RF. I'd love to have one myself. Some of Mr. Moran's last ST-23s and ST-24s were truly magical. They also cost a lot more than some new cars. Maybe Valleytinworks can buy us each one for Christmas.

You think? ;)

If I'm on the xmas list for a Moran, then I will start bashing SOG and Cold Steel all day long.

but seriously, I have a SOG vision that is one of the best made folders I have seen. The fit and finish are outstanding. The blade is very sharp, and the design is excellent, IMO.

I have a SOG trident that cost me just about $115, and is also an outstanding blade for the cost--razor sharp, perfect finish and good design. It might not be as good as some of the really pricy custom's, but that's why I could get one.

My cold steel fixed blade tanto cost $50. I think its a fine knife, as is a $50 USMC Kaybar, again, for the price asked.

I think when you start to get those awesome custom knives it spoils you for the lower price stuff that most of us have to buy if we want any knife at all. Once you drive a Jag, going back to your basic Ford is pretty tough. I guess you hope to never have to.

kiov

this thread is just another example of how over the top branding ruins a knife . why the !@#$ do you need SOG in huge lettering cut out of the blade?

Shame on you zeedeegood.
Well, just what did you expect?
Seriously???!
Dude, I wouldn't consider cutouts on a knife, or cutting tool or for that fact a thrower to be anything more than a fancy wall hanger. Looks great as a gift for a 12 year old though.

The goofy lettering acts as a stress riser.

I do not hesitate to throw my Busse knives, they are worth every penny and then some, but they are sort of irrelevant to a conversation about cheap throwing knives.

For good throwers, better to get some substantial and tough throwers like the ones at http://www.hbforge.com/ they will stick better and are a time tested design that will not fail, no gimmicks.

Vaako, I don't want to derail the thread with more off topic stuff, but Not all Busse knives are thick or heavy. It varies greatly actually. The Battle Mistress is both, because it is a big chopper. Heavy is what you want for a thrower, but no, Busse does not make a dedicated thrower. Also, the more expensive model is a Limited Edition that will not be offered again, from thicker stock, and with far more hand finishing than the coated blade. I would not be surprised to see them selling for $1000+ in a year. It might serve you well to learn about what you are talking about before making blanket statements. ;)

It might serve you well not to make presumptions, Ratty. I've handled a number of Busses and the reason I've never purchased one is, in my opinion, Busse knives are extremely heavy for their size, regardless of their respective size.

Given their design, that's understandable. Most from what I've seen are made from 1/4" to 3/16" thick stock and have a full, non-tapered tang. Add to that some very thick, wide, slab micarta handles and the result is a very strong, exceptionally heavy knife.

I don't like heavy knives. Heavy (even if well balanced), for me, means slow. There's no getting around physics. A big, super-heavy knife has a lot of intertia that needs to be overcome for every direction change. That's the trade-off you make for all that Busse strength.

You must be very weak & frail if you think that Busse knives are exceptionally heavy. I would suggest some sort of physical work or exercise.

On the other hand, maybe you are just prone to exaggeration. . .

Have you ever handled a Nepalese Khukuri? that is where you start getting into heavy blades.

I am curious, what models have you handled that you deem exceptionally heavy? perhaps this discussion is better suited for a different forum. . .

You must be very weak & frail if you think that Busse knives are exceptionally heavy. I would suggest some sort of physical work or exercise.

What did I tell you about making presumptions, Ratty?

Please don't give me advice about "physical work" when your profession lists you as "graphic designer/artist". Your day job is sitting at a desk for eight hours, pushing a pencil or a mouse.

Inertia doesn't change if you're a gym rat. A light blade moves a lot faster than a heavy blade. That won't change, regardless of how strong you are. If you're strong and fit, you're going to move a light blade even faster. You'll also be able to do it a lot longer.

Kukris are heavy for a reason, namely they're designed almost entirely for chopping. Most of them, given the blade size and total length, aren't "knives" as much as short swords. A 10" blade, 16" o/a Battle Mistress isn't exactly an EDC lightweight, either.

The earlier version of the Battle Mistress that Cliff Stamp reviewed (here and here) weighed over one pound, five ounces (i.e 21 ounces total).

Have you ever handled a Nepalese Khukuri? that is where you start getting into heavy blades.

You don't know what you're talking about and it shows. If you'd bothered to check your facts before lecturing me, you'd learn that a real Nepalese-made kukri like a Sirupati with a 15" blade, (5" longer than the current Busse Battle Mistress) and a 5/16" thick spine (1/16" thicker than the Busse Battle Mistress) weighs only 13 ounces, a full 8 ounces lighter than the Busse, Cliff reviewed.

Eight ounces doesn't sound like much until you realize that's the weight of a full-sized knife by itself, such as the SOG Daggert.

Your love of Busse knives and personal "brand identification" is turning you into an fanboy in the worst sense of the word. Busse knives are incredibly strong but at a price, namely a lot of weight.

If a Busse Battle Mistress was made of, say, 1/8" thick steel, with a moderate distal taper the blade, a tapered tang, and birch handle scales, it's going to move much, much faster than the current design.

The drawback is it won't be as nearly strong. The question is what a person wants a knife to do. I like my knives to be very light and very fast. If you like your knives to be much heavier and slower than mine, good for you. ;)

Shame on you zeedeegood.
Well, just what did you expect?
Seriously???!
Dude, I wouldn't consider cutouts on a knife, or cutting tool or for that fact a thrower to be anything more than a fancy wall hanger. Looks great as a gift for a 12 year old though.

It was basically a gift for my son since you brought it up. Some of us aren't as all knowing as you obviously.:barf:

Back