SOG Fusion Thrower Broke

Vaako: Your ignorance is all I see. For lack of a rational argument, the weak minded try to make personal attacks based on what they read in a user profile. :jerkit:

If you knew anything about Khukuris, you would know that the Sirupate is not designed for heavy use, but is a fighter. Apples and oranges. Pretty pointless to compare a fighter to a heavy chopper. Compare it to a fighter if you want an apt comparison. As a fighter, the Sirupate is pretty darn heavy.

Your statement about ones ability to move a certain weight of blade regardless of strength is flawed. Ones empty hand can only move at a certain speed. There is a point where the weight of a blade starts to slow down that speed. Blades up to a certain weight do not slow down your hand at all. If you are strong, that threshold is higher, and a heavier blade will not slow you down.

You are the one desperately clinging to your ignorance of Busse knives. Pointing out facts does not make me a fanboy. (another attempt at attacking me due to your inability to make a point.)

I would be calling you on your BS regardless of what brand(s) you chose to denigrate.

Also, considering that the original discussion was about throwing knives, Not fighters- the fact remains that a heavy blade at least a foot long is the best for throwing. the Sog throwers should be made longer, from a carbon steel, without the goofy lettering/stress risers and they would be some of the best production throwers on the market.

For lack of a rational argument, the weak minded try to make personal attacks based on what they read in a user profile.

Deliberately sloppy reasoning, Ratty. I'm not demeaning you for being a graphic artist. However, it is a valid observation that your profession does not qualify you to dispense advice on the benefits of "physical work". Unless you lied.

If you knew anything about Khukuris, you would know that the Sirupate is not designed for heavy use, but is a fighter.

Go tell the Himalayan Imports crew their blades aren't designed for "heavy use" (whatever that is). I'll agree they aren't designed to withstand the abuse a Busse could tolerate.

...but that's not what you originally said! Let's quote you again.

Ratty said:
Have you ever handled a Nepalese Khukuri? that is where you start getting into heavy blades.

A Sirupati is a Nepalese Khukri. I used it as an example precisely because it is a Nepalese khukri that disproves your assertion that Nepalese Khukris are "heavy blades" in comparison to a roughly equal sized Busse. You made an incorrect generalization, because you don't know what you're talking about.

Pretty pointless to compare a fighter to a heavy chopper. Compare it to a fighter if you want an apt comparison. As a fighter, the Sirupate is pretty darn heavy.

As a fighting "knife" perhaps. As I said earlier, khukris are closer to being short swords than knives. The same can be said for the current Busse Battle Mistress. In terms of size, the Sirupate is bigger and lighter than the Busse even though they're both very large chopping designs. The comparison is valid, even if you're incapable of seeing the parallel.

Your statement about ones ability to move a certain weight of blade regardless of strength is flawed. Ones empty hand can only move at a certain speed.

Nice armchair theorizing. If anything just exposed your lack of practical experience it's a gem like that. Have you ever done any real sparring, Ratty? At all?

That "empty hand" can move incredibly fast. You desperately need to get out onto the mat with a good boxer. Try blocking his jabs, some time. Then there's some martial arts stylists who move at speeds which are seemingly impossible. That "certain speed" a hand can "only" move at is much faster than your smug theories account for.

There is a point where the weight of a blade starts to slow down that speed. Blades up to a certain weight do not slow down your hand at all.

...and of course in Busse Fanboy World, no Busse knife is ever heavy enough to do that, least of all the one with the monster 10 inch blade, weighing one pound five ounces.:rolleyes:

Reality is a very different place. The more weight you put in an empty hand, the slower it moves. That's physics, not theorizing. You can't avoid inertia, especially when the weight added to the hand is the equivalent of a full-sized khukri and a full-sized knife. Get Cliff Stamp to explain to you about all the other issues that develop like torque and centrifugal force on the hand, wrist, and arm.

If you are strong, that threshold is higher, and a heavier blade will not slow you down.

I'd love to see you try demonstrating that, sparring with a good FMA or Silat instructor. One of those thin, bony little guys.;) Apparently "strong" is an abstract concept for you, just like "heavy". You just changed your address from Fanboy World to Mall Ninja World, complete with a Busse-made samurai sword.

You are the one desperately clinging to your ignorance of Busse knives.
They're very heavy for their size (especially the larger knives) because they use thick blade stock, minimal distal tapers and have full thickness, full tangs with slabs of thick Micarta. The weight adds up.

Other, even larger, chopping designs are much lighter, making them faster. That's a fact, one that is immediately obvious the moment a person picks up a "knife" with a 10 inch blade, weighing over one pound five ounces.

Pointing out facts does not make me a fanboy.
What makes you a fanboy is your rabid desire to defend your favorite brand against every single comment you feel to be a "slight". That's fanboy behavior. So is your refusal to acknowledge the the tradeoffs inherent in your favorite brand's design. You may not believe it or even understand it, but all knife designs have to make those compromises.

I would be calling you on your BS regardless of what brand(s) you chose to denigrate.

Sure Ratty. The only time you get wound up is when you perceive an imaginary "slight" to the brand of knife in your sig.

The only BS on this thread is yours.
You make BS generalizations about "Nepalese Khukris" that are wrong.

You make BS claims about knife weight having no impact on speed.
You seriously believe you're so strong that a knife weighing close to a pound and a half won't slow you down in any way.

Also, considering that the original discussion was about throwing knives, Not fighters-

Agreed. It was about SOG throwing knives. But that all changed when the Busse Fan Club crashed the thread, didn't it? Anyone dares point out that Busse knives aren't dedicated throwing designs or that they're very heavy and that's an insult no Busse fanboy can leave unanswered.

the fact remains that a heavy blade at least a foot long is the best for throwing.

Now Ratty's an expert on knife throwing, just like he is about khukris, or blade weight vs. speed.

Go tell knifemaker Harald Moeller about minimum length for an effective throwing knife. He's been making his 9" o/a Viper III throwing knife since the 80s. He makes several throwing designs, the largest of which is a foot long. The rest are smaller. He's also written a very good book on knife throwing and it's a favorite pastime for him.

Seems Mr. Moeller's got it all wrong. Ratty knows better.

You know more about what the best length for a throwing knife. Just like you know that "Nepalese Khukris" (except for the ones you forgot about) are heavier than Busse Knives. You also know that a massive knife weighing over a pound five ounces has no effect on how fast the hand wielding it can move, providing you're "strong enough". You really have no idea how strong a person would have to be for that to be true.

*sigh* This would be funny if you weren't serious.

While you're right that the problem with the SOG thrower is the lettering causing stress, they don't need to be made out of carbon steel. That's more of your armchair expertise.

Go tell Harald Moeller he's using the wrong type of steel for his throwing knives as well.:rolleyes:

The main problem isn't the steel, it's the tempering. Perhaps with a different temper even the SOG lettering could be retained (though the SOG Fusion throwers might look better without it) .

Holy S$*T, I started an all out war here! That's what I love about BladeForums! Never a dull moment, and what it all comes down to is we're all helpless, knifenut fanatics. Lets here it for the greatest invention ever devised by man!!!

Vaako: I didn't bother to read any of your misguided diatribe of nonsense. Frankly I have better things to do than argue with "doesn't get it guy". Feel free to respond with your usual unfocused ignorance, but I for one won't be reading it.

Sure you won't, Ratty.

You'll read whatever reply I make, but it's not fun any more for you, is it?

You've made a fool of yourself and I'm going to keep shoving you back down every time you step up. (metaphorically speaking, of course) Besides, you have other forums and threads you need to troll.

So, you run off whining and name calling. Again. Things haven't changed since high school for you have they, Ratty? ;)

Cheers! :thumbup:

Maybe we can get back to talking about SOG products for a change, since this is the SOG forum.

zeedeegood
Well I am very sorry for the let down of your boy's present.
(Just so you know, I am ok with most products from SOG Knives. I am just having a little tough time understanding some of the "funky bling-bling" that's been offered from a company which draws its strength in producing "solid knives for serious business").
So, did he choose it himself? Or was dad on a budget buy?
Consider some "throwers" from Cold Steel if you're on a limited budget buy.

We both looked at lesser priced throwing knives, and since I had a few SOG's already and no previous problems, I kind of trusted the name (I do see your point on the bling-bling and in hindsight, I wish they would have just left the handle solid and printed their brand name instead). I will look into the Cold Steel thrower, but I'm not crazy about their customer service. As far as higher end throwing knives, I'm out of my element. I'll have check the forum out more thoroughly, although there were some good posts about the fusion throwers on there that I read before purchasing.

the gil hibben throwers are pretty good for what you pay for them . once you get good enough , you can throw pretty much anything . look into a set of stanley screwdrivers , they make awesome throwers , cheap too and you don`t care if you lose them :)

Thanks Sir, I heard a few positive and negative reviews of the Gil hibben and I believe one review stated the same problem I had. I've seen some of his knives with holes in the handle and that seems like it's the culprit when it comes to breaking. I really hope SOG finds that the steel in my batch of knives was faulty. I don't want to go through sending them back and forth. If the new ones break, that's going to be it.

I have picked up a SOG jungle fusion primitive as well as a fusion tactical tomahawk just before our MI. November deer season and I have been abusing the daylights out of both pieces. I was making a point to two of my deer camp friends that though thier $300.00+ Busse/Swamp knives are beautiful, but they never seem to be doing any of the dirty work because they dont want thier Blades to get scratched. So I picked up both Fusion units for around $100. total and did all the digging/chopping/hacking/wacking/throwing/and blind building and now both pieces are on my Blade bench cleaned & Sharpened and ready for more! That in a nutshell is my experience with the SOG fusions...P/S I have a Strider Mark 1 but it got the season off so I could make my point.

Baba, I'm glad that you had good luck with the other fusion line of knives. I've stated before that (unless I win the lottery and just don't care) I would also be a little hesitant using a $300+ knife to beat around on a daily basis. I am not knocking busse whatsoever, because I've never even held one, and absolutely everything I've read states that they would hold up to just about anything anyway. Maybe it's kind of like my Gibson Les Paul, once you get the first scratch, then you stop worrying!

Yes, Busse knives are very strong. They're also very heavy for their size, very thick bladed (excluding their zero edge), and very expensive. That latter drawback becomes even more glaring when the customer wants a finish other than roughened black-coat. Checking the Busse website, a Battlemistress in black-coat goes for $387. A Battlemistress with a semi-mirror finish costs $697.

Unless I'm mistaken, Busse Knives doesn't make a dedicated throwing knife, either.

Even if they did, a set of three today would cost $2,091 (not including shipping).

...which might be enough as a down payment on a W.F. Moran original. I hear you, 22RF. I'd love to have one myself. Some of Mr. Moran's last ST-23s and ST-24s were truly magical. They also cost a lot more than some new cars. Maybe Valleytinworks can buy us each one for Christmas.

You think? ;)

Every Busse can be a throwing knife. If your going to actually use the knife hard for batoning wood and throwing and and god knows what you need a Busse. Their is no substitute for a Busse Combat, their the best knives on the planet bar none. they make a strider look like a sog:barf:

Busse makes good knives...........SOG makes good knives.

Everyone has their favorite, mine is the SOG Revolver and the Night Vision............but I like lots of others too. :D

Oops......OT, I don't throw knives, though it does seem like it might be fun.

Robbie Roberson :D

Blessed are the peacemakers, Robbie, for they will be called sons of God. (Matthew 5:9)

they make a strider look like a sog:barf:

That :barf: emoticon isn't really fair, Subaru. SOG knives aren't "barf". Granted, the new SOG Fusion throwing knives appear to have a design flaw or a tempering problem but that happens with a lot of new products.

How many handle redesigns/ improvements have Busse knives gone through at last count?;)

I'm sure a Busse "can" be a throwing knife (a lot of knives can), but there are other handmade knives designed specifically for throwing which are also more cost effective. Using the maker which Ratty linked, for the price of one high-end fusion Busse Battle Mistress, a person could buy 18 of the Barber family's handmade redezvous throwing knives. That will save you a lot of walking back and forth to your throwing target. ;)

For serious wood chopping, I sincerely doubt a handmade Busse will beat a handmade Gränsfors Bruks either in price or performance.

No one knife made by anyone is capable of doing "everything" or even most things better than equally well made knives/ tools designed specifically for the given task.

Throwing knives are THROWING knives.
Other knives are not made to stand numerous toss abouts or tree sticking.
Granted that one can probably throw and stick just about anything given the skill possessed by an individual.
Most individual knife makers or companies will not gurantee a knife for throwing purposes, unless it states so in writing/advertisements that it's capable to withstand knife throwing as a primary design capability.
It's fun to be able to throw stuff with precise aiming. But I won't want to throw a knife unless I am dead certain that it's a soft enough target that won't damage the knife/axe/spade/screwdriver/spear/Frisbe as a whole.

Depending on which model you have, that's very possible. Not all Busse Knives use thick stock (though they all seem to have untapered tangs).

The Game Warden is offered in two thicknesses, with the more robust of the two coming in at just under 3/16" and the thinner version coming in at just over 1/8".​

What's your input on the SOG Fusion thrower?

It took a couple weeks, but SOG sent me the replacement set of fusion thrower knives. The only thing I haven't been able to find out is why the first ones had a problem and if they tested the steel. I noticed that the new ones have not bent at the tip at all (unlike the other bad set). I've only used one knife so far today. I don't know the scientific end but it seems like maybe the steel wasn't hardened properly. I'll have to see how it goes.

Back