SOG vs Leatherman: The showdown

Well, since you guys say the Powerlock is so great, I decided I better see for myself! My new Powerlock shipped out today! :D

Once I get it, it will ride along with my Leatherman Wave in a double pouch...then we'll see which one I reach for most!

I hope they are nice! I paid more for the Powerlock than the Wave! :eek:

It's really going to be a waste of time to compare the PowerLock to the Wave...The PowerLock IS alot sturdier and bigger than the Wave. Now, IF you were going to compare the LM Supertool to the PowerLock, it would be a closer "race", but the SOG would still win.:).

I am not familiar with the Wave (never handled one), but would pit the PowerLock against any competitive multitool out there...
I look forward to your report...:D

Originally posted by glockman99
It's really going to be a waste of time to compare the PowerLock to the Wave...The PowerLock IS alot sturdier and bigger than the Wave. Now, IF you were going to compare the LM Supertool to the PowerLock, it would be a closer "race", but the SOG would still win.:).

Interesting...I always though the Wave was the top of the line. My Wave has served me well, but maybe I should check out the Supertool too! :D

I was comparing the relative size and strength of the two; The SOG Powerlock VS: the LM Supertool, and even at that, the SOG IS larger (and stronger, in MY opinion).

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
Interesting...I always though the Wave was the top of the line.
The Wave is certainly the "bigger" in sales volume, but that does not make something the "top of the line."

Originally posted by NGK-Webmaster
So with the one hand "flip opening" can I use this thing like a Bali?:p
Pretty much, except rather than the blade of a bali, the pliers would be ready to go.:D.

No Powerlocks yet...:(

But I did get my CrossCut! :D

Overall, I like it better than my LM Micra. A couple questions though:

1. Why no phillips screwdriver?
2. What is with the "compound leverage?" It seems just like the Micra with little spokes! How does this increase leverage? Granted, it does cut circles around my poor Micra, but I don't see how the little spokes add leverage...

Hopefully I'll have my Powerlock tommorow! :cool:

im2smrt4u: realize that the scissor parts move much slower in relation to the handle movement in comparison to your Micra? It's basically torque at work. The scissor isn't bolted to the handle in the usual places. The Micra's scissor parts move just like a regular pair of scissor, however the crosscut's scissor moves much more slowly while the handle travel is the same. Basically the proportion between handle travel and scissor travel is way different than the micra or regular scissors.
It works kinda like a monkey wrench. If you put force at the end, your hand would travel a lot while you'd need to apply a lot less force to do the twisting work, but if you put it half way down the handle, you'd have shorter travel while putting a lot more force to do the same twisting work.
It's kinda hard to explain, but the powerlock's wirecutters snips a penny like nothing.

I’m so far from being an engineer it’s not even funny, but Calyth’s explanation of “compound leverage” sounds right on the money. I usually say that the gripping power is magnified due to the gears by a ratio of about 2:1. There is no doubt that you will notice the increased gripping & cutting capabilities of our tools equipped with compound leverage.

Congratulations on the CrossCut. I’ve cut thing that “look” like pennies ;) (OK, the CrossCut required servicing, but it did the task without breaking!). I actually have had those cut-in-half “penny” look-a-likes taped up in my office here at work. Pretty amazing! I’ve cut other things, but will keep “those items” to myself! ;)

Let us know what you think of the PowerLock when you get it. The neat thing on the PowerLock, is that you can tweak the “bali action” of the opening. By slightly loosening the bolts holding on the plier, you can get it loose enough to fling open real easily. I like mine almost too loose. I’ve often had my knuckles rapped because I flung them a bit too vigorously. But I was willing to deal with that to have ease of movement.

Well, however it works, it works great! :D

I'm hoping to get the Powerlock today, but I'm working from 8 am to 12 midnight today! :eek:

Hopefully I'll be able to post my thoughts tommorrow...

make sure you drop some lube on the pivots connecting the pliers to the handle and that piece of metal holding the gears together. If you swing them too often they would heat up a bit and makes it a bit harder to swing. A drop or two of lube would make sure it runs extremely smoothly... nothing like a leatherman would unless they get compound leverage ;)

Could someone post a side by side scan of the PowerLock and Super Tool? I 've been carring a Super Tool for 7-8 years and it's hard to make the switch!

-SB

No Powerlock today...:(

But I did win an auction for a SEAL Pup! The addiction will never end!!! :eek:

The Powerlock sucks!!!;)

Now the TiNi Powerlock is a different story. I don't understand why the TiNi stuff isn't more popular among most. I'm guessing its that jump in price that deters people from buying. That's whats keeping me away for now.

not many people can shell out that much.
Besides, there wasn't any TiNi Powerlock when I got my regular. I suspect that if the TiNi version was in the counters someone would've picked it up ahead of me.
Is the TiNi version any smoother? or it just makes it look better?

I've only handled one and that was at the gun and knife show in Coquitlam a while back.

I couldn't tell you if there was a difference in smoothness or not. All I know is that TiNi is some tough stuff.

I have a friend who owns a TiNi powerplier and he's done all kinds of crazy things with it including hammering with it and leaving it in the ocean for a week. All the implements rusted to pieces but he got those replaced and the TiNi coated part of the tool still looked like brand new.

Well, it would have cost me twice as much for the TiNi coated one, so I'll stick with the regular model for now...

Back