SOG vs Leatherman: The showdown

Still no Powerlock! :(

Plus, I just won an auction for a Leatherman Supertool 200! Now we can have a real comparison. ;)

The larger SOG will chew up and spit out the medium duty Wave without breaking a sweat.

I carried a Wave for about a year, using it at work and home whenever an opportunity arose....and I always went back to the LM Supertool that I carried before. The main reason? The locking tool blades. The Wave doesn't have the capacity of locking any of the tool blades in place, except for the knives, file, and saw. This is one of my main dislikes about this multitool. Besides that, it is a medium duty tool, unlike the SOG Powerlock that built for HEAVY DUTY use. I disliked the Wave so much that I traded mine off.

My SOG TiNi Powerlock, even when compared to my old LM Supertool, is larger, built like a tank, and has many more perks;

1. The wings that cover the tool blades makes for a very comfortable grip,
2. ALL of the tool blades lock,
3. 1/4" hex drive,
4. can be taken apart for cleaning and oiling,
5. tool blades can be replaced or interchanged with optional accessories, such as the gut hook(seatbelt cutter),
6. optional Titanium Nitride coating provides excellent scratch and corrosion resistance,
besides the fact that it looks so cool :cool:.

IMO, the Powerlock is the ULTIMATE in multitools. With my SOG TiNi Powerlock on my belt, I don't need anything else and won't EVER need to buy another multitool again. :D ;) :D

I gave away my Original Leatherman, and Gerber...
I haven't looked at another multi-tool since getting my TiNi Powerlock almost 2 years ago... well... except for my other Powerlock, which should be back from Bodycote soon...;)
I'll post a pic when it comes back...:D

Hmmm...with all this talk about the TiNi coatings maybe I'll have to trade up to one with TiNi! :D

Its Sunday, so still no Powerlock...:(

I just got my Powerlock today! Shame its the end of the work-week. Now I won't be able to compare yet...but I guess I can wait for the Supertool 200 to arrive. :D

Originally posted by Bobby B
So what do you think of it?:cool:

Much bigger than I ever expected! Very heavy duty!

I like the locking system, but the folding grip parts are a bit annoying. I love the ability to flip it open though!

You can take apart the tool covers with very little effort.

Originally posted by calyth
You can take apart the tool covers with very little effort.

They do pop off quite easily. Thanks. I'll see how I like it this way.

Is that how you carry yours?

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
They do pop off quite easily. Is that how you carry yours?
I keep mine on, the comfort factor outweighs the inconvenience - for me...:)

I keep mine on too. It's not really that much of a hassle. And the tool would not strain your hand as easily because the tool cover spreads the pressure.
I know that it could be taken apart because I have to swap one of them out (it was rubbing the handle)

I got my Supertool 200 today! :D

My first impression is that the supertool is a solid contender too. I like Leatherman's lock release a lot better than the one on the SOG, but the LM doesn't open nearly as smoothly as the SOG. I can also see the difference the compound leverage makes!

This will be a good comparison...

Back