SOG

I have generally been let down by SOG.
I have had what I consider to be big issues out of every one I've bought.
Both the Trident and Trident Elite handles split apart from closing, The Aegis internals failed and wouldn't open without gripping the spine and pulling really hard and now this:
48ed821c4c92d7302241cb299b5d39bcf87110bd.jpg

7ea84ffd60613c44e2d1e79b365c7ece902a8ee4.jpg

Clip rotates/ moves back and forth. Taking it off and re-securing didn't work,
Super tightening didn't work, tried all the reasonable stuff I could think of to get this thing to stop moving. Doesn't take much pressure to make it move again even if I bear down and get it real tight.

The knife still functions, but seriously, I just noticed this when I took the knife from my pocket. Even with the screw torqued down as tight as I possibly could the clip will begin that rotational movement just from drawing from the pocket.

I hate it because I really like the way a lot of SOG knives look but the performance is typically mediocre and the execution and manufacturing is piss poor.
This was supposed to be a little better from SOG from Seki Japan but that classic SOG fit
and finish is at it again.

This has been a quick example of my experience with SOG knives as a whole. Your mileage may vary. I saw where they have this revamped product line, but after buying SOG products for 9 years and having a lot fail or develop issues like above, I'm not tempted in the least to buy from SOG anymore. Never tried to warranty any of the products because the failure seems to be more from poor engineering or poor materials and I don't care to have more of the same because it would probably fail the same way again.

Some of their mid range fixed blades have been decent. I have the NW Ranger, The SEAL Pup Elite, and mini pentagon. They've all been okay as beater fixed blades but I probably won't buy more.

Time will tell how the rest of the blade holds up. I've already snapped a tooth off the serrations from cutting hemp rope for a cat pole.

That sucks. I've had relatively good luck with the few SOGs that I've owned, but lately I've avoided the brand exactly because of stuff like this.

I have to admit, though, I have high hopes for their recent brand rework. They seem to have embraced simpler, more practical shapes, better materials and more solid construction.

I have a SOG Flash 1 that was a gift from a friend. I didn't like the rattle from the lock (I presume) and the plastic-feel of the, well, plastic. But - it locks up good and is small and unassuming to carry. I also like the overall design and blade shape.

All in all not a bad knife, but not a standout in any way either.

Moot point, it has been discontinued.

best

mqqn

I had a SOG Flash II that had lock rock right out of the box.
I have such a hard time with SOG and CRKT in that I love the way a lot of their designs look but hate the way they perform.

I am very tempted at some of the new stuff I saw from SHOT show videos, but with so many other brands out there that have delivered every single time
like Spyderco, CRK, ZT etc. I can't imagine chancing SOG again.

We'll see. I'm going to sit back and see what happens.
I'm sure y'all know how it is when a brand has failed continuously for yourself or other folks you trust; dishonoring a man's hard earned knife money with junk products is not cool.

I think the biggest lesson to take away from this is that if you secure one object to another with only one screw, it is probably going to rotate.
CRK clips only have one screw, but the scale is milled out for the clip to sit in.
SOG's design team needs a swimming hole, scrap 2x4s, nails, and an oak tree leaning over said swimming hole.
Maybe a hammer.
If they design their ladder like they designed this clip, they'll know why ONE fastener and nothing else, aint enough.

pityful how its all gone in a flash ...
wonder what the future holds
most are ready to pack it up

Last edited:
If they made the tomcat.in a current steel, I'd be hard pressed to ignore that sexy blade profile!! Those kiku folders too. I don't mind aus 8, but not what the charge for it! Elmax would be a great steel for them. Pipe dreams eh!

I bought the Flash 2 a couple years ago and I couldn’t stand it.. 1)the pocket clip is complete trash,it doesn’t shift around like yours but the retention is horrible.its so bad it has fallen out of my pocket 2)I hate the safety,I personally don’t see the point in a safety on a knife that isn’t an automatic 3)it just feels so cheap in hand,I mean,it’s was a $60 knife and you really can’t expect too much for $60 but IMO it should be around $20...I think both SOG and CRKT knives are often a little overpriced for what you get especially when you see what Kershaw is putting out in the same price range..you can get the Link and Dividend for around $60-$70 with M390 blade steel..the Blur,Leek,Chive can be bought in S30V for around $60-$70..I seen the Bareknuckle in 20CV for $100 and all their automatic Launch series knives can be bought for around $100 with 154CM...after seeing what’s coming in 2020 from Shot Show,I must say it is nice to see these knife manufacturers are stepping away from the AUS8 and the 8CR13MOV and moving to D2 in their budget offerings..D2 isn’t the greatest,it’s a pain in the ass to sharpen but after you get it sharpened it will hold its edge a hell of a lot better than AUS8 and 8CR13MOV

I bought the Flash 2 a couple years ago and I couldn’t stand it.. 1)the pocket clip is complete trash,it doesn’t shift around like yours but the retention is horrible.its so bad it has fallen out of my pocket 2)I hate the safety,I personally don’t see the point in a safety on a knife that isn’t an automatic 3)it just feels so cheap in hand,I mean,it’s was a $60 knife and you really can’t expect too much for $60 but IMO it should be around $20...I think both SOG and CRKT knives are often a little overpriced for what you get especially when you see what Kershaw is putting out in the same price range..you can get the Link and Dividend for around $60-$70 with M390 blade steel..the Blur,Leek,Chive can be bought in S30V for around $60-$70..I seen the Bareknuckle in 20CV for $100 and all their automatic Launch series knives can be bought for around $100 with 154CM...after seeing what’s coming in 2020 from Shot Show,I must say it is nice to see these knife manufacturers are stepping away from the AUS8 and the 8CR13MOV and moving to D2 in their budget offerings..D2 isn’t the greatest,it’s a pain in the ass to sharpen but after you get it sharpened it will hold its edge a hell of a lot better than AUS8 and 8CR13MOV
Agreed, I don't expect it to be awesome at $60 but I expect it to function.
With the construction used on those Flash 2s day to day tasks and even just basic opening and closing would cause the knife to fall apart in my experience.

It should be noted that I've kept this knife in my tool pouch for about a week and I used the knife on an AC install today and everything went well.
The blade didn't hold a super edge, but nothing does through duct board. Even ZDP 189 is relatively dull after 5-10 cuts.
The forward/ tip section of the tanto is useful being a flat straight edge and the serrations are really nice on rope, webbing, rubber hose, and flex duct (think fluffy insulation)
The blade was easy to sharpen and performs as you would expect for VG10.

This one is close or equal to typical Benchmade performance (griptilian) in every way except for the clip design.
Clips are a really big deal to me because my EDC will be drawn and returned to the pocket quite a bit (~10-50 X's) at least 5 days a week.
The clip really took this knife out of my pocket so to speak. I think this knife will cut well and hold up decent for a work beater, which is arguably where knives like this belong anyway.
It's just that for ~$120 I expect more than a junk clip.
I also have no idea how this knife is going to hold up long term. I've only seriously used it for a week or two.

5eac4b9bc6f6721b866f436e98554b115b171ae4.jpg

185febc1624699f289ee542c61692d655e37ff4d.jpg

I realize I'm sending mixed messages here, but I want my review to be fair.
I think if you happen to work a job with a tool pouch/ belt or don't mind carrying a belt sheath/ pouch you might really enjoy this knife
for the kind of tasks you would find with electrical/ plumbing/ mechanical type work. If your everyday involves lots of synthetic materials
like rubber hose and nylon webbing this would be a good choice. If you want a pocket friendly EDC for slacks, or plainly prefer or require
that your 1-2 blades ride in your pocket this knife or similar may disappoint.
All in all it's very o.k. but it really is just okay, nothing wows me and I think it should with a little past $100 price tag

Yeah SOG is putting out a lot of overpriced crap these days. :( They are like CRKT and Gerber in that way, companies just coasting along on their good name. I will say though, that all of these companies have some redeeming qualities. SOG for instance has some decent fixed blades, though they use mediocre steel and sheaths. If you want a really nice SOG fixed blade you have to pay hundreds for an AUS 8 blade still.. :(

Having recently acquired a SOG Night Vision, I must agree that the clip is a bit of a let down.
I haven't had any issues with the single attachment point coming loose yet.
If you look at the scales, you can see where it used to have recesses on the sides (sort of shield shapes either side of the scales, now filled on on the moulds) and how this would have been more secure.
The older style would not be a 'deep carry' clip though.

SOG use to be great knives back in the 90’s and I own several from that era. I tried one of the newer ones, a Flash model, and was very disappointed. Mediocre blade steel, not very sharp out of the box, assist not very strong and positive like it should have been, had a lot of side to side play, had some vertical play when locked open, the pocket clip bent way too easy if you caught it on something, and overall just felt cheap. Don’t think I want anymore of the new ones.

I can’t stand the way SOG has to put their name on everything. The blade, handle, and clip. Is that really necessary?

This past week I bought an old arc lock spec elite 1 in like new condition for $75, as well as a coupe of the new versions with blocky handles for $53 each. All are made in Japan with VG10 steel.

I must say that for the price I paid, these are pretty solid. Nice cutting geometry, and extremely smooth to open/close. They all lock up tightly. The blade to handle ratio is outstanding, though the new version has a slightly longer handle. I believe the blades are exactly the same for both versions.

I haven’t bought any other SOG folders in many years due to the blade play I found in their assisted knives back then. These ARC locks don’t seem to have this problem.

The fixed blades seem pretty good. My seal pups get carried occasionally, especially the old models, and a seal team is strapped to a go-bag. For the price, I have no complaints about the SOGs I currently own.

SOG hired a marketing company to re-brand their offerings recently. If you watch any of the YouTube "knife influencers" you'll have noticed they've virtually all reviewed SOG products over the course of the past 60 days.....not a coincidence. You may have also noticed their recent move away from the SOG name/brand toward branding themselves Studies and Operations Group; for which the SOG brand is/was an abbreviation. As far as I'm personally concerned, :poop: is :poop: no matter what you call it or how you market it.

https://www.snewsnet.com/press-release/sog-announces-new-hires-and-organizational-changes

What about their new fixed blades? All in all SOG seems ok to me. I've had an 90s field pup, and a present day Seal Pup and snarl, and they have all absorbed all the abuse I could throw at them and just keep going. They need resharpened more then a benchmade or a spydie, but they cost a fraction of the price, and, to put it simply, they work. I plan on buying a couple of their new pentagon fx covert knives to try out. S35VN, made in Taiwan, complete and total design overhaul, looks good to me. And at $150 still cheaper than most comperable knives from other companies. Almost all of the new knives are within $20-30 of their previous incarnations, but feature upgraded blade steels and a much more modern asthetic.

Last edited:
And they aren't just re-branding, they have literally taken many of their most popular models "back to the drawing board" so to speak. Even David Anderson from knifecenter was really enthusiastic when talking over the new line with a SOG rep. I say, wait and see how their new knives hold up, and then make your final judgments.

Back