SOG

Late to this thread but a bit disheartening to hear. Liked my older Trident Tanto from 10 years back and experienced no blade play or coming apart. Just recently bought the Trident AT-XR improved version with steel liners and D-2 steel. Seems great right now but guess time will tell.

I had 3 SOG Flash 1s and lost two. Two were aluminum handles, and the third was a zytel handle. I liked the one with the zytel handle the best, but unfortunately I left it on the shore while fishing. I also lost my TiNi blade version while fishing. I'm now left with one with the aluminum handle. Overall I had no problems with the SOG Flash 1.

I replaced my lost SOGs with a Sypderco Dragonfly 2. So far, I really like it.

I have generally been let down by SOG.
I have had what I consider to be big issues out of every one I've bought.
Both the Trident and Trident Elite handles split apart from closing, The Aegis internals failed and wouldn't open without gripping the spine and pulling really hard and now this:
48ed821c4c92d7302241cb299b5d39bcf87110bd.jpg

7ea84ffd60613c44e2d1e79b365c7ece902a8ee4.jpg

Clip rotates/ moves back and forth. Taking it off and re-securing didn't work,
Super tightening didn't work, tried all the reasonable stuff I could think of to get this thing to stop moving. Doesn't take much pressure to make it move again even if I bear down and get it real tight.

The knife still functions, but seriously, I just noticed this when I took the knife from my pocket. Even with the screw torqued down as tight as I possibly could the clip will begin that rotational movement just from drawing from the pocket.

I hate it because I really like the way a lot of SOG knives look but the performance is typically mediocre and the execution and manufacturing is piss poor.
This was supposed to be a little better from SOG from Seki Japan but that classic SOG fit
and finish is at it again.

This has been a quick example of my experience with SOG knives as a whole. Your mileage may vary. I saw where they have this revamped product line, but after buying SOG products for 9 years and having a lot fail or develop issues like above, I'm not tempted in the least to buy from SOG anymore. Never tried to warranty any of the products because the failure seems to be more from poor engineering or poor materials and I don't care to have more of the same because it would probably fail the same way again.

Some of their mid range fixed blades have been decent. I have the NW Ranger, The SEAL Pup Elite, and mini pentagon. They've all been okay as beater fixed blades but I probably won't buy more.

Time will tell how the rest of the blade holds up. I've already snapped a tooth off the serrations from cutting hemp rope for a cat pole.
I’ve had SOG Flash II’s for about 5 years - zero problems.

Back