1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SOG's Warrenty is the Worse

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by ROBB, Mar 17, 2009.

1. swimmerdude1127

swimmerdude1127 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Edit to add: I really hope this gets cleared up and everyone can walk away happy.

2. Bet That Hurt

Bet That Hurt

Jan 30, 2007
    Hi [email protected] - I'm about to buy one of these from Le Baron here in Canada but I don't want any holey backspacer issues:). Can you tell me what serial numbers have this defect? Or more I guess, at what serial number did this get fixed? I just want to make sure I don't get one of the early ones and LB is a big box store that buys in quantity maybe once or twice a year.

3. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    I am surprised nothing is mentioned about ROBB getting a new Visionary replacement from SOG.

4. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    Bet That Hurt:
    We do not serialize or knives so there is no way for me to give you info on what serial number to look for. My suggestion would be to handle the knife before purchasing. They should let you do that.

nutz_about_knives:
    Me too as I have tired to reach out to him several time but gotten no response from him. I'll try again and hopefully we can resolve this to both our satisfactions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. scootar097

scootar097

Mar 28, 2009
    I have a SOG Goverment Agent. The sheath is terrible , the rivets don't hold.
    SOG won't even help

6. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    I love how you hijacked 3 threads with your "my sheath sucks" post.

If you can provide some details and pictures in a new thread I'm sure we'll be willing to help. :cool:

7. LeftytwoGuns

LeftytwoGuns

Dec 15, 2008
    I first read this post last night. I can't believe someone actually told him that the knife is supposed to do that. I believe I would have lost my temper at that point. This does not put me in a hurry to buy another sog foder, I must admit. Although, I have always preferred Sog's fixed blade side of the house more anyway.

8. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I have one too. The rivets on mine are just fine so far... and after reading you post I spent a few minutes trying to get mine to separate...accidents can happen in any mass production...more than once I have bought new electrical parts for my vehicles that were bad out of the box and had to be returned. It just happens, often due to new employees, were you the greatest ever at your job the first day you started it? There is some talk in a thread here on the Agency where the sheath has been discussed, one of the the guys in that thread has a bad sheath and SOG is working on the problem. I think the only real problem with the sheath design is that it is just a hair short (and rivets all the way around wouldn't have hurt)...however I'll just fix mine myself, I tend to add more rivets over time anyway. The humidity, creeks, and rivers here are rough on sewn leather sheaths, but I have a thing for natural leather and it's quietness.

9. grymt14

grymt14

Feb 20, 2009
    quite an intresting thread to read actually. after reading i think i will stay away from purchasing SOG .they are fairly exspensive and nowadays i think quality and customer care go a long way and looks as though SOG showed neither in this case.

ROBB- any news worth reporting?

10. Monnymac

Monnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    I have had problems with SOG folders in the past too. I thought it was just me, interesting to see I am not alone. I own a SOG seal pup and I think it is a good knife, I would buy another fixed blade from them but never a folder.

11. folderfan2093

folderfan2093

Apr 11, 2009

i think everyone realizes you can't speak for the people that handled this repair. but i'm sure you, or someone in a position to, could have a word with them about it

12. folderfan2093

folderfan2093

Apr 11, 2009
    i've always been a fan of the seal pup. it's funny, after reading this thread i don't think i'll be picking up a sog folder either

13. nutz_about_knives

nutz_about_knives

Aug 21, 2005
    Chris said (I think) that he will mention to the 'lady at the warranty dept' to be nicer... and to us bladeforums members of course! Chris has done this by now (see page 2 of this thread).

I was thinking (for quite a few months) on which SOG folder to get. Some great models have been produced over the past year or so but oh well...

14. LeftytwoGuns

LeftytwoGuns

Dec 15, 2008
    Just get a seal pup guys, you can't break it!

[​IMG]

15. Mr. Night

Mr. Night

Mar 17, 2009
    I had been a fan of old school sogs, picking them up at gun and knife shows, ebay, etc.
    I own and love several seki made sogs, and they have been trustworthy knives. But, it seems to me that ever since the move to taiwan, sog has been steadily going downhill. Last year, I purchased a new sog from a knife dealer, and you could imagine my dismay when I looked at the blade and saw 'taiwan'. I wrote to the president of sog, explaining my disappointment, and I got back a very carefully worded letter FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY telling me to go fly a kite. I will never buy another sog product as long as I live.

16. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    Well I've heard enough to not spend my money with sog...Next time I buy a knife it will be with a company who knows how to look after their customers like Spyderco and Kershaw.Thank you very much guy's for the insight.

17. JOHN O

JOHN O

Apr 15, 2009
    I bought a SOG Agency and the sheath started comming apart after minimal use, I called SOGs Customer Service and spoke to a very nice Lady about the problem. She was helpful and Friendly, advised me that the sheaths were'nt covered in the warranty but also said they should'nt come apart after minimal use either. She told me to send the sheath in for replacement but after some consideration I decided to keep the sheath and repair it myself. I've covered this in another thread dedicated to my particular incident, but I'd like to add, I really like what I've seen out of SOG as a Company at this point. They've provided me with a good product and helpful service.

18. LeftytwoGuns

LeftytwoGuns

Dec 15, 2008

I AGREE WITH THIS GUY!!!

Sog old school fan here, what are you guys thinking?!?? Out of the new lineup I saw something that I actually had appreciation for, and that was the agency. But then, to hear that the sheath breaks within a few uses, and your CS person says "we don't cover the sheaths" ?????????????
    ??????????????
    I will be waiting for Sog to come out with a product, that I really, really like, and then to hear of people having good experiences with it, before I'll ever buy another new Sog product. Unfortunately, all of this mess has made me loose my faith in Sog being a quality product, without question.

Sog, get back on point guys, I really love you guys and want to be able to support you. Don't sell someone something, that you created, knowing it would be an inferior product, and then not fix it when it's broken on the first week.

I want to see some Old school SOG products that are built to last a lifetime, where you know it, and we know it. Don't let SOG fall into the mud where it's in the same $5 bin at the flea market with the S&W junk and the no-name brands. (Fusion line is JUNK!!)

Get Sog back in the top of it's class like back when the Seal knife, Pup, Scuba/Demo and the Sog Bowie and the others DEMANDED RESPECT.
    Lets go SOG get back in the F'N game!!!

Since you guys have taken such a turn for the worse, I have spent HUNDREDS, if not more, of dollars on Benchmade, Busse, Spartan Blades ETC. because I am a knife lover that origionated as a Sog fan, but you guys aren't leaving me $H!7 to choose from. Now I'm buying superior products that I can trust, and when I look back to see what you guys are doing it's nothing but a dissapointment, and BAD NEWS from other customers.

get your game back sog so I can get a sweet new bowie or something, or a Tigershark, or a recon bowie or something of quality that I can be happy and satisfied to own. Stop making the industry LAUGH AND/OR CRY with the SOG fulcrum, jungle primitive, and the Fusion Spirit. Leave the gimmics to Cold Steel, and get back to your roots.
    -steve

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  19. blackfeetmageet

blackfeetmageet

May 11, 2009
    Bump, because SOG is screwing me now too. They wont fix my SOG Flash 2 -insane amount of up and down blade play -oh, but they (at the warrantee dep.) dont calll that blade play -the knife has to be falling out of the handle to even consider it blade play. What I have is normal. NON-sense

My knife Rattles when it is open, it has blade play. They refuse to fix it. Other flash 2 models have no up and down blade play at all, so why cant mine be fixed or replaced?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  20. Mr. Night

Mr. Night

Mar 17, 2009
    you need a seki made sog....no problems there.