1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by VermontEdge, Mar 15, 2017.

1. OzarkJoe

OzarkJoe

Aug 31, 2017
    I like Nick. He’s passionate and informative w/o being arrogant or a blowhard. I can’t watch his longer videos but that’s on me. I have the attention span of a ferret on meth. Keep it up, Nick!!

AriW and palonej like this.
  2. Kabanstva

Kabanstva

Dec 19, 2012
    Nick is my favorite knife reviewer on Youtube. I once emailed him about a few specifics on a knife and got a response within three minutes. What a great guy.

AriW and marcus52AR like this.
  3. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Which oil do you recommend

4. emjay4248

Oct 8, 2016
    When you watch Nick, Birdshot IV and Kevin Cleary you get a very rounded opinion of that particular knife. I have gotten quite a few knives that they thought were good and they have never steered me wrong yet.
    It's like trying to find the truth about a news story, you need to buy at least three newspapers to figure out what the real story more or less.

Mr.SATism, Lapedog and Topshot like this.
  5. NickShabazz

NickShabazz Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 10, 2014
    This is brilliant, and way better than listening to only one jackass. Yes, the three channels are nicely contrasting. Frankie and Bird aren't as snobby as I am, and have a more grounded and practical perspective. Cleary loves them big and tactical, but he's also reasonable and function-focused. So he'll cover the sides I'm weakest on. Also consider Cedric Ada Gear and Outdoors, who does a lot more 'use testing' and backyard science. He and I sometimes disagree (*cough* Slysz Bowie *cough*), but I always respect his opinion.

emjay4248, AriW, Suttree1 and 4 others like this.
  6. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    AriW and Suttree1 like this.
  7. Topshot

Topshot

May 14, 2017
    Of all of the reviewers Nick appears to be the most genuine, some of the other reviewers appear to be doing infomercials and it appears they are bought and paid for... in that respect he is a true Gem.. Some of his nitpick are not consistent but at least he will bring out the Bad in every knife even if it is petty, and typically he admits that it might be petty... if you can't tell, I am a fan..as he is a pure class guy. Annoying voice and all...

8. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I’m a huge fan of Nick’s videos, especially the puns along with the sayings that are almost clichè after so many videos. I don’t take his word as gospel, but I like how honest he is in his reviews. One complaint is that his child-sized hands give the knives in the reviews a false sense of enormity—I need to remember that if it fits his hand well my medium-large hands will fully engulf it.. He makes an entertaining video that is still informative, and that’s a beautiful thing.

9. emjay4248

Oct 8, 2016
    I also watch Cedrick but by the time I get to him I have already made up my mind. I did follow his advice and am considering getting a Tormek knife sharpener but as always I need to hear more than 1 opinion so I watched Harleywood's reviews. I find that it is always prudent to get more than one opinion but you also need to vette them and decide whether or not you consider their opinion valid.
    Your reviews are great except that sometimes I have to read between the lines.

10. Ducal12

Ducal12 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Nick Shabazz is a blast on Youtube whether you are a knife guy, flashlight guy, quartz watch guy or just like Michigan!

The_Machine and NickShabazz like this.
  11. emjay4248

Oct 8, 2016
    You’re right I forgot to mention Cedrick. He Definitely is the missing link for complete information on a particular knife. Between the four of you I can’t go wrong.

12. F22shift

F22shift

Mar 1, 2017
    I watch him because he’s hilarious and his format forces him to find some kind of flaw. Whether the flaw is an issue to you is up to you to decide

tyyreaun, Mo2 and The_Machine like this.
  13. Curl of the Burl

Curl of the Burl Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Hilarious and his reviews are a joy. Was always curious what he looked like until I saw him in one of his reviews.

14. lieferung

lieferung Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2016
    which one? I thought he explicitly does not show his face

15. SharpieB

SharpieB Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 31, 2017
    He does. He looks strikingly like Rick Astley. Good looking feller.

No idea how his speaking voice is so different than his singing voice, but whatever.

The_Machine, tyyreaun and NickShabazz like this.
  16. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    Nick thinks there is a hotspot with a Chaparral clip .

Oy yo yoi ... Don't let the little guy kick your ass.

17. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I enjoy his reviews, but sometimes he gives me anxiety if I'm not wide awake or caffeinated.

18. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    He's well intentioned...

NickShabazz likes this.
  19. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Well, I was about to say that I enjoy your videos and then you said the above. I have owned two nib...sold them...and just bought one more after a lot of looking. It seems to me to be the "mid-sized" CRK Sebbie that I've been wanting for years...and I've carried a lot of large CRK's...including the Zaan which I stilll have.
    ------------------------
    Whew! I just watched two of your love-videos of the Slysz Bowie, and happy to say we are still buds. I was a bit amazed at all the mini-details that you showed in describing the knife...and was glad to see them. Yeah, I love the Slysz also and thanx for your excellent videos.
    Now, I know why I just bought this third one...and plan to carry it, use it, and keep it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    You could see his reflection in the crystal in one of his watch review videos. I thought I was the only one who saw it.