1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Some TOPS knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Makael, Oct 13, 2018.

1. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    They have solid customer service too. Nice collection!

buckfynn likes this.
  2. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015
    are TOPS made in America?

Their product line up seems endless. wish they had some more low profile EDC blades in their line up . everything seems to thick/heavy or radical for my commitment to purchase. Love the cockpit commander but its too big to EDC for me.

jstrange likes this.
  3. crufflers

crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    I got an Operator 7. I had never really considered a TOPS before I saw this one. Just got it but I love it. Honestly think it is a fantastic setup for the $$... reminds me of a Rodent6 and a Regulator. Fit and finish is perfect IMHO. Some things I liked... visible hamon/differential heat treat, nice bluing, nice fullers, recurve is nice (could take it or leave it, but I like it on this knife), handle with layered natural micarta, liner, G10, dehorned/polished double guard, good size (not huge, more like R6 than a TG), awesome thumb-break sheath with great fit. For what I paid shipped... if that sheath cost me $60 to $100 because it was not included, the knife would be under $100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Regulator for scale - similar cutting edge, thickness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    buckfynn likes this.
  4. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    I love my scandi trekker. Been carrying it everyday since I got it about four months ago. It sees all cutting duties while at work as an auto mechanic, and regular cutting tasks when off work.

Was worried it would be too thick to slice well when I ordered it sight unseen online, but it surprisingly slices well and is ground very well for its size and intended role as an edc fixed blade, better than my Izula.

Takes a great edge easliy and holds it like good 1095 is expected to. No rust issues either, the powder coat or whatever they coat the blade with is thin and unobtrusive unlike most blade coatings. It's holding up well and you can barely tell it's even coated.

5. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Yes, USA made.

I've only owned their BackBite, which is a pretty use-specific blade, but I was impressed with the F&F at the price point. On par and very similar to ESEE

6. crufflers

crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    I cut up boxes earlier and the Operator 7 glides right through cardboard and also batons through wood great. Slicing paper just ok.
    Even the whistle says made in the USA.

7. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Niiiiice knife, love mine too.

8. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I only have one knife from Tops- the Mini SERE Operator, and I like it. It's well made with good ergonomics. Haven't used it much yet but it looks like it's up to any task I might put it through. I also have a couple of Tops-Buck collaborations and they're nice too. Looking forward to buying another Tops knife (or knives;)) one of these days.

Having said that, I can't figure out why they have so many freakin' designs. They've got a lot of overlapping products in their catalog, any you have to wonder why they don't just simplify it. I'm also not crazy about some of the funky design elements they add to their knives, particularly on their handle/tangs and hand guards. There's some really weird, and in many cases useless, touches just about anywhere and everywhere on a lot of their knives. Again, why not just simplify. Finally, while I'm griping, the rotating clip on some of their sheaths looks like a good idea and has some merit, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Howsome ever, I still drool everytime I look through their catalog and know another one will be coming my way, hopefully sooner rather than later.

9. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    It's a silly design feature. Why include your own sub-par belt clip when everyone is going to pry it off and install a G-clip (or paracord, here) anyway?

10. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    That's exactly what I did. The sheath was just screaming for a G-clip, and it works just fine.

I couldn't help but notice that there's a warning included in the package, saying that modifying the sheath in any way will void your warrantee ( for the sheath, I presume). They must of realized people were going to do just that.

11. TechandTactical

TechandTactical

Apr 2, 2018
    I love Tops stuff. The Backpackers Bowie is on my short list.

12. crufflers

crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    I have no complaints about the Operator 7. I have been beating it batoning through logs and it got pretty ugly looking but simply wiping it with oil shows the finish is very tough and the wood residue wipes off everywhere except the edge. The scales came loose and were not very tight as new - felt shifting creaking almost immediately and you need to have two hex wrenches to use at the same time to tighten the screws or they just spin. I will end up adding loctite. Love this knife... slides through wood and shape acts like an mini maul in dry wood. Have not chopped much with it, but that doesn't seem to be its specialty. I am used to knives like SYKCO Chophouse thick cut or 1111 though. This is more like a Regulator or TG. Hard to resist ordering the BLACKOUT version now that it is in stock, though this is the one I'd recommend. Coating wouldn't wear this good.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018