Recommendation? Son's first knife?

Hey fellas, I frequently think about what should my son's first knife be? Granted he's only 3 but he likes the ideas of knives because I always carry one. The only knife I let him touch is my Leatherman juice S2 under intense supervision. He only cares about the pliers.
My favorite knife company is CS! So I "think" I want it to be a CS knife. I know there's a huge debate over having a lock or not. Any ideas? My favorite is the recon1 but I don't think a Tri-ad is a good idea. Maybe a CS lucky one? Any suggestions welcome doesn't have to be CS. I have a sneaky feeling that his first knife may be a Leatherman Leap designed for young kids. That way when he builds up trust I can determine when to add the knife blade.
I want this thread to be mostly suggestions on his first real knife (he has a plastic victorinox). Not an argument on kids using knives when I feel the time is right. Thanks guys!

I wish I had a drop forged hunter when I was a kid, the thing is great. Nice big guard and it should last for generations.

I wish I had a drop forged hunter when I was a kid, the thing is great. Nice big guard and it should last for generations.
You think fixed is way to go for a young boy/man? I'm not debating you (this is the internet) just genuinely curious. I own over 60 CS items they will be distributed amongst my kid(s) I only have one right now.

A small SAK like an Alox Cadet:

victcadet_silveralox_2.jpg

A tough little knife similar to a scout knife just a little smaller but certainly a tough little knife. Or an Opinel #6:

opinel-no.6-carbon-steel-lock-knife-bushcraft-8198-p.jpg

got my boy when he was 5 or so a wood and plastic knife kit. think it was a crkt and spyderco. no cold steel ones. helped him build it and understand function and learned the idea of safe knife handling before handing him a real knife. next was a bali trainer. getting pretty good at open and closing. hes almost ready for a real knife. hes 9 now.

every kid is different. some can handle a real knife by 6 or 7 maybe younger.....my kid was a bit sloppy distracted in his handling so i held off a bit. make sure ya pay close attention....your boy maybe good by age 5 or whatever age...but dont rush him just cause you want it.

on knives a tri-ad or lockback as training two hand opening and closing i think is smart for a young kid to get used to. lines up for controlled and safe handling.

got my boy when he was 5 or so a wood and plastic knife kit. think it was a crkt and spyderco. no cold steel ones. helped him build it and understand function and learned the idea of safe knife handling before handing him a real knife. next was a bali trainer. getting pretty good at open and closing. hes almost ready for a real knife. hes 9 now.

every kid is different. some can handle a real knife by 6 or 7 maybe younger.....my kid was a bit sloppy distracted in his handling so i held off a bit. make sure ya pay close attention....your boy maybe good by age 5 or whatever age...but dont rush him just cause you want it.

on knives a tri-ad or lockback as training two hand opening and closing i think is smart for a young kid to get used to. lines up for controlled and safe handling.
I appreciate your input sir! I enjoy reading all of your posts!

A tough little knife similar to a scout knife just a little smaller but certainly a tough little knife. Or an Opinel #6:

opinel-no.6-carbon-steel-lock-knife-bushcraft-8198-p.jpg
So are you a non-lock guy on this issue? To my recollection neither of the knives lock? Especially The Opinel? Doesn't the collar lock start with the 7? I'm no expert and i trust you more than myself.

The Opinel has a twist lock collar. A non locking knife is as safe as any locker if used correctly. Fixed blades for stabbing slipjoint s for cutting. Also lockers are more expensive for a good one, only a couple of dollars for a cheap on. Problem is that the cheap lockers are more dangerous than a comparitivly priced folder like a SAK or Rough Rider Scout knife. JMHO.

What do I know, no kids and I stuck an exacto in my thigh when I was like 5.
Me learn fast though. Me not impervious to knife cuts.
Hmmmmm I was sure I was going to be.
Never really got cut much as a kid after that one.

Later . . . oh boy . . . might warn him when he discovers girls that it isn't the best idea to argue and cut up vegetables with a scary sharp and thin Japanese kitchen knife at the same time.
Knives : 2
Wowbagger : zip

Got a gigantic multiplex fork and spoon as THE knife I had to have ! ! ! ! I must have been eight to nine. See below. Yeah just like Dad's. There were a couple basic tiny ones somewhere in between like that little green sucker in the photo that almost disappears in comparison.

Yep I suppose depends on the kid. He like pliers so it has to have pliers. Me too.
I will say there are too many bad influences that can get him to do stupid stuff before he realizes what he is doing. Don't ask how I know; I'm just glad it didn't involve a knife.

IMG_3295.JPG

As a kid I was eased into knives with small Swiss army and small slip joints,until my hands were strong enough to reliably handle locks. I eventually got cheap hardware store lockbacks until boyscout knife time. Remember heirlooms and children tend not to work well together. He may lose a few along the way. I've got a knife for two from around 6th grade, but before that all are lost or broken. I also have a knife from my grandfather that I received much later in life and I'm glad it was when I was more responsible.

A tough little knife similar to a scout knife just a little smaller but certainly a tough little knife.
I think the SAK is a great knife for a kid...or a man. He will love having all of those blades, although he may not have the finger-strength or finger-nails to pull out the blades.
Just don't get a CS back-lock. I got one for my 12-yr-old gd-son and the spring was so tough that I couldn't release the lock without a tough push. Neither could her dad...a big guy...225 lbs. ridiculous.
Just make sure that your kid can work the blades/locks.
That plastic knife is STILL a good idea...IMO

I'd go Slipjoint, that way he'll learn it the right way or get cut a few times. Me personally I had a few SAKs(found one at some point, damn that was a good day) and cut myself every now and then but it's not like I nearly cut fingers off or something like that. If he likes the pliers a lot maybe a Leatherman Juice would be good for him.
If it were entirely on me: He won't touch it up all that often, so I'd go for something with edgeretention. Since it shouldn't bei terribly expensive as it's likely that he'll lose it, toolsteel like D2 would be my choice. This will also teach him about taking care of it.
TL,DR: some cheaper traditional in D2

I like that you're thinking ahead about what might work ... many just decide hey my boy is 5 now he should be able to have a pocket knife.

And I will open by saying you are the only one that will know when your son is ready for the responsibilty ... some are early on and some maybe still truely aren't at 16 years old ... so ignore anyone trying to tell you when your son will or won't be ready ... teach him and watch him and you will know.

As far as type of knife ... I do not own and never have owned a CS so can't speak directly to that ... but I can say under my fathers guidance I was allowed to whittle or to use a fixed blade to help dad with outdoor chores ...

and the only thing I remember biting me were folders ... back then most were slipjoints with strong pulls that snapped shut with authority ... I don't ever recall being bitten by a fixed blade ...

so I guess for me at a very young age the stiff pull of a slipjoint seemed to be what bit me ... so maybe a small fixed blade or a locking folder as long as the long is easy to work ... and I think probably a knife requiring two hands to open and close might leave less room for accidents.

But you spend the time with him and you know when he's mature enough to be safe and have the hand strength for various knife types ... just let him use supervised and teach him about each type and see how he can handle each ...

I don't think there is a right answer ... every child matures at their own pace ... but I'm sure if he watches dad and dad teaches and watches him use knives supervised ... you'll know when and what type knife is right for him.

Good luck ... always excited to pass on the "rights of passage" for kids ... :thumbsup:

Opinels are great. Locking ring, no snap closed to bite little fingers. Both my kids have them. They also have a Buck 110 and 120 set (they are 7 a d 12 now) and I have a few GEC made folders that both my dad and the wife's father have to "pass on to them" when they have thumb nails strong enough to open them. I wanted them to each get a couple quality knives fro m each grandpa. So I gifted a few, with instructions to pass them on in a while.

Even with all the nice knives I have, including Cold Steel, Busse Combat, Great Eastern Cutlery, etc and customs, I still use my own Opinels a lot!!!

Also the SAK recommended is a great idea. I carry one daily also!

You think fixed is way to go for a young boy/man? I'm not debating you (this is the internet) just genuinely curious. I own over 60 CS items they will be distributed amongst my kid(s) I only have one right now.
Yea, it will never close on him or let his hand get near the edge, when I was a kid those were the first two ways I cut myself, granted the folder was a massive army knife of some sort the little guys can still be snappy. The third time I was peeling a carrot, dropped it and lunged with both hands so it wouldn't hit the dirt, way easier to clean the carrot than the flap of skin afterwards lol

The drop forged hunter would be great for his first deer and steak, nevermind all the bushcrafting in between. Knife has more than enough meat for him to learn how to sharpen it as well

Last edited:
I think the SAK is a great knife for a kid...or a man. He will love having all of those blades, although he may not have the finger-strength or finger-nails to pull out the blades.
Just don't get a CS back-lock. I got one for my 12-yr-old gd-son and the spring was so tough that I couldn't release the lock without a tough push. Neither could her dad...a big guy...225 lbs. ridiculous.
Just make sure that your kid can work the blades/locks.
That plastic knife is STILL a good idea...IMO
The Cadet is another great first knife choice.

Keep in mind he's gonna drop it a lot and worse. It's gonna get thrown, somewhere along the way, all boys with pocket knives try to throw and stick it into something. The smarter ones learn to buy knives made to be thrown, with softer spines and tips so they bend before they break. I have an old Edgemark or Eye Brand or some German made throwin' knives from the 50s-60s I've had forever because it was meant to throw.

My point is that when buyin' get a durable scale material over a premium. Remember, Delrin is very forgiving.

Back