SP-10, a back to Bowie Basic.

OK...

I was looking around for a real new bowie knife! The ideal one I was thinking of for great field and form function was the once only production run BK-20 for a great field tool Well the WANT was never as strong as the wallet saying NOT AT THAT PRICE! of the ones I found. So I picked up the SP-10 I finally got out of the car for a check over/maintenance stuff, I know well its heft and hack and whackability of the blade having to use it when I forgot my other main blades for dealing with evil vile Botanical Tyrannicals that I smite with great delight and sadistic evil pleasure as a Veggie Freak eats a salad full of still alive plants and stuff that they chomp and chew to send that living plant to a horrible sadistic acid death in their stomach. (Atleast the meat I eat is already dead for me). The SP-10 has the same blade width and length about as that BK-20 but only no solid thumping and whumping hilt I think a big knife needs but from a price and use point of view the SP-10 is still one of the best tools and bang for the buck one can get for a big heavy use blade.

So I realized my first OKC knife the SP-10 is still one of the better blades I got and fills most of the "True Bowie" needs I got it for. I did get a CS Marauder but its not as a "Heavy Use" blade as the SP-10, but I found the hollow grind and curve of the blade makes it a great large fishing processing and fishing blade especially when walking in them smaller streams where the brush you need to clear isn't that big and heavy. I haven't used a floppy rapala knife ever since I got that one. But my CS Marauder seems to become a light to medium use knife. Where my SP-10 can well...do ALOT of things even things my SP-51s and SP-53s do. It may not do them as well as the more as those heavy use designed purpose blades but "Eh it works."

A few times when cold tired and exhausted the Hilt of the SP-10 kept my hand from slipping to far forward, the blade botaned well enough this winter, where using a hatchet or axe in the deep snow would of been more dangerous and would of needed snow cleared or a platform made to use it as safely as botaning (One main reason I love my SP-51 as it does that with any tough log.) I wasn't going out doing Tacti-Traning or TEST MY SURVIVAL SKILLS! I was just out checking a few traps and bunny snares and building a fire for Bunny On a Stick. And well just to get away from EVERY ONE for most of a day for about 18 hours. I took a few smaller pocket blades with me those times, and I only hand the SP-10 handy at the time, but I didn't take it to "Field Test" it, it was just the big blade I had around at the time, I knew it was one I could trust as much as my big 5160 blades. Think I used a 110 buck for the small bushy craft stuff. My RD7s were off line due to accidentally being packed in the wrong box for storage. I would done more playing...er Tactical Training...but well it was cold and that bunny really needed to be eaten and I had to move on to get back. My planning skills probably need to be worked on but I know enough what tools I need and the proper ones that will work when the more desired one is left behind do to forgetting it or just thinking "eh this will work" when I grab the SP-10.

The SP-10 is a great affordable one big blade option you don't have to worry to much about if price and not to worry about failure is a concern. Its not the latest greatest 200-500 uber bowie, but "Eh' It works." and works well when needed. Its more than good enough if you can get a long with no thumping and wumping hilts. (my SP-51 to me isn't totally 100% perfect but well its as close as one can get for affordability). Only thing "bad" I can say about the SP-5 is the swedge on it makes batoning a little harder, but its swedge gives it a more multi took function it looks like.

For those who want a good blade to use at a good price the SP-10 should be added to your potential tool/knife tool use. And if you want a good lookti-cool blade. Really its a really good true looking bowie to! Its a good Back to Bowie Basic for people who can get around there being no thumping and whumping hilt. (hint hint OKC!)

One thing to note is OKC's great Warranty and CS also will back up the blade where other ones like KA BAR will say you voided the warranty.

Why do I have only ONE SP-10? Well I got FOUR SP-51s (two general use, one for car, one for bug out bag) and TWO SP-53s (would say 3 but sis show's no sign of giving the one she "Borrowed" back), my money went to those blades. As I said before the SP-10 is my "Beater" blade, and it still works great when its called to duty, especially if some one forgot to pack another blade. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Agree totally. I have an SP10 and it is one massive blade but great for everything.

LOVE my SP-10. I think my favorite SP chopper is my SP-53. I sharpened it once, really good, & have not had to sharpen it since. Love the 5160.

OK...again was hemming and hawing over getting a BK 29, if it was sold by itself probably may of gotten it...but looking at the "High Saber Grind" that is like a FFG, sort of defeats the purpose I think of a big chopper. Looked over the SP-10 again saw its nice saber grind, re read my post and have to sadly pass on that package. The SP-10 blade just seems a better chopper and batoner for the price you pay.

Saw one new for around 42 so broke down and got it, better two beater blades than one. Especially if your current one was loaned out to some one who likes it to much. :rolleyes:

I love my SP10 Marine Raider and I have carried it for years when I go deep into the woods and I am not going to bring a hatchet or axe.

I started with a BK9 and it is a great chopper but I do not trust it like I do the SP10.

When I am doing a two day hike and I don't want to pack a hatchet or an axe I put my SP10 on the front of my belt (hike with it and you will understand why it on the front of my belt) and I pack my Corona folding saw and I have all I need for building shelter and camp chores.

If I was told to survive on only one cutting tool I would choose the SP10 but I say that having never tried the SP5.

Sp10 was my first bowie. Also one of 2 that had an usable sheath. If it weren't for the scared looks it draws from others, and my concern that it would be confiscated by a forest ranger, I would carry it on my belt/leg on every trip

I like my sp10 and wanted to get another but for some reason it went from $50-$70. Anyone know why? At that price I look elsewhere :/

For loving big bowie I got 3 sp10s, really cool design ,but all of them are poorly grinded with uneven grind lines on both sides and leaving thick edge , totally ugly.

I have many (dozens ) of OKC knives , sp line all of them are pooly grind , but others are not , my SP GEN2 knives and RTATK2 are grind like an angle.

Why you OKC did so poor grind on sp line kives and did great on sp gen2? for the reason of cost control ?

I am here do not want to complain about OKC , just wish that OKC will do better .

Often wandering when I look at my SP10s that OKC will move on producing sp10 gen2 soon that in 5160 steel and does not have a big processing hole on tang .

ps: the poorest grinded knife i have is 498, with a prominent S edge and there is no "2th" marked on blade unexpectedly.

Last edited:
I asked that in the ask Tooj thread and one of them said they would bring up about the SP-10 in 5160.

SP-10 is a nice tacticool lookticool yet very useticool functioning tactitool! Forgive the use of tacti-talk that in case your not up on all the tactiterms! Well the SP-10 is a dang useful big knife tool in performance and uses as well besides looking like a good wall hanger.

I asked that in the ask Tooj thread and one of them said they would bring up about the SP-10 in 5160.

SP-10 is a nice tacticool lookticool yet very useticool functioning tactitool! Forgive the use of tacti-talk that in case your not up on all the tactiterms! Well the SP-10 is a dang useful big knife tool in performance and uses as well besides looking like a good wall hanger.

what a good news it is ,5160 steel sp10 &sp5 rocks!

Last edited:
For loving big bowie I got 3 sp10s, really cool design ,but all of them are poorly grinded with uneven grind lines on both sides and leaving thick edge , totally ugly.

I have many (dozens ) of OKC knives , sp line all of them are pooly grind , but others are not , my SP GEN2 knives and RTATK2 are grind like an angle.

Why you OKC did so poor grind on sp line kives and did great on sp gen2? for the reason of cost control ?

I am here do not want to complain about OKC , just wish that OKC will do better .

Often wandering when I look at my SP10s that OKC will move on producing sp10 gen2 soon that in 5160 steel and does not have a big processing hole on tang .

ps: the poorest grinded knife i have is 498, with a prominent S edge and there is no "2th" marked on blade unexpectedly.
If this question is allowed; From what vendor did you purchase the poorly, unevenly ground sp-10's? The one time I received one in such a a state I returned said item for a full refund! I am not regrinding that blade to .2" just so I can have an even grind.

OKC is really good on warrenty replacement and such, send the knife back to them and they will replace it if the grind is that bad! I had TWO SP-53s with bad grinds, one was WAY to over and the other had a twists in the cutting edge! I sent them back, but had to wait for new production for replacement blades, they gave me a pick of what knife on their site they had for my trouble. They sent me two new production blades after their new QC program was implemented. It just worked timing wise out that way. And they were beautiful! Now mind you, OKC hand grinds their blades and a "few" SMALL non perfect symmetry "flaws" were on them if you looked so anal retentively at them. But they are beautiful! So much my sister grabbed one and put it in HER spot where HER stuff at the old farmstead house is when she comes up and vents on the poor vegetative plants that dare to block of HER trails she works on. So I had to get another one for my own back up. My SP-10s can do what my SP-53s can but my SP-53s can just do the better job!

My SP5 came with slightly off grinds and was very dull.

Having said that: i would not bother buying a hard use knife like that if I weren't capable of (or willing to invest a little time in) putting a decent edge on it. It took a few sessions in front of the TV with a beer here and there but it came out great. I now have a versatile, hard use bowie that is a bit more mine and is more than sharp enough for anything I am going to use it for. PS, those USA made 1095 knives at that price is a great deal. I say lower the expectations as far as the factory edge goes and if it's not perfect... Make it so... Assuming the grind is not so far off it's unsalvageable, that is.

If this question is allowed; From what vendor did you purchase the poorly, unevenly ground sp-10's? The one time I received one in such a a state I returned said item for a full refund! I am not regrinding that blade to .2" just so I can have an even grind.
I live in mainland of China .there is no way to get refund.

I live in mainland of China .there is no way to get refund.
Sorry to hear that you have received bad copies of an amazing (usually) knife. Wish there was some way I could get you a decent one. $50 U.S isn't cheap, it's unfortunate that an apparently unscrupulous vendor has taken advantage of a loophole to unload some bad examples, no doubt charging shipping and import fees as well.

All this SP-10 talk made me order another one...

Seems my little brother likes one of mine to much and its no where to be found... seeing the the stuff he did with it and made with it (it was ALOT of stuff)...guess its his now. To me it was a back up beater/camp knife, his only complaint same as mine, no thumping and whumping hilt. He just likes the look and use he can get out of the whole blade as it saves having to carry more stuff than he has to, but I don't like the way he's eyeing and fiddling with my OKC Kukri... He's way more skilled than I am at doing stuff but I'll never admit that to him! :cool:

Sorry to hear that you have received bad copies of an amazing (usually) knife. Wish there was some way I could get you a decent one. $50 U.S isn't cheap, it's unfortunate that an apparently unscrupulous vendor has taken advantage of a loophole to unload some bad examples, no doubt charging shipping and import fees as well.

Thanks you man. but I already got 3 sp10s yet , i really wanta buy is "unborn baby" of gen2 sp10.

Back