SP-10, a back to Bowie Basic.

Oh the 5160 version? ("No plans" per Tooj). I love their rtak2, and rd9. I bought a well used rd9, coating worn off the center from batoning with a kydex sheath from the bay for about $60. The kydex needed reshaping to get that "snap" back, and I scrubbed the rest of the paint with a wire brush and voila! I've got a backwoods smasher that can't be stopped!5160'is really wear it's at as far as chopping and batoning. Nothing else takes a beating imo that can be sharpened back in under a few minutes!

IMG_3533-XL.jpg

IMG_3541-XL.jpg

IMG_3549-XL.jpg

IMG_3552-XL.jpg

IMG_3571-XL.jpg

IMG_3562-XL.jpg

IMG_3577-XL.jpg

IMG_3584-XL.jpg

IMG_3586-XL.jpg

Is that swedge sharpened? If so, does it add to the versatility for doing woody stuff with it?

Yeah the SP-10 was used a few times this season, and my back up that was to stay in the box got put in to field use also. They are just so dang handy for a "Beater" blade! If I didn't forget I left other knives in the car, I'd of used my SP-10 more. The "Back Up" got loaned to some one looking for a deer and cut it all up with it he told me when he gave it back to me the week later! If it had a thumping and whumping hilt, it would be SUPER DANG PERFECT of a blade to have!

I forget where I saw a guy take his sp10 and turn it’s handle into a larger version of the original Air Force survival knife, with stacked leather handle and a metal buttcap! Looked incredible, wish I had the time to do this mod!

Swedge is as it came from the factory. Wouldn't take much to have it slicing sharp

I leave my swedges unsharpened if they didn't come sharp as it makes it easy to baton and such. If one needs to make it slicing sharp, as you said it can done easily.

I forget where I saw a guy take his sp10 and turn it’s handle into a larger version of the original Air Force survival knife, with stacked leather handle and a metal buttcap! Looked incredible, wish I had the time to do this mod!

That was over on Bushcraft USA. The guy did a phenomenal job. I was going to post a link to the thread. But didn't want to violate any rules.

I figure this video says it all about this knife. I tell people all about it as it can do about every thing besides being a good large knife doer of big knife things. And tell people to get it if they are cost conscious but want a "Real" big knife to do things with.

gideonstactical's SP-10 review.

The SP-10 was my Gateway knife to OKC products, really its still one of the best classic ones to get! My SP-10s get grabbed more than the more sensical SP-53 because people wanted to play with...er..tacti-train with it on trips when I offered one to loan out to see how they work. Really they are a great mutlitool that also makes a great solo camp knife!

Back