• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Spaceportcutlery.com good/bad experiences ?

Hi all,

I write you because I bought a randall knife from the above mentioned online shop and I'm a little bit nervous now. I ordered the knife 4 days ago and tried to get in touch (via email, I live in Europe) with them to modify the shipping method and got no answer so far. I would like to hear your (hopefully positive) comments about this online shop: do you think I need to be worried or not ?
Thanks for your help,

François.

Hello Francois,

Congratulations on your Randall purchase!! I'm sure that you will be happy with it. The Gentleman that owns and operates SpacePort Cutlery (Perry Miller) has been in the knife business for many years both as a Collector of fine knives and as a Dealer. Perry is well known and is a well liked Member of the knife community. Have no fear as I am sure that he will make every effort to insure that you are happy with your purchase.

Florida has had its share of VERY bad weather for the past several months and for many it has made some of the basic necessities like Power and Communication a "hit or miss" thing each day.

I would advise you to please be patient and hopefully he will contact you soon.

Thank you for your reassuring words,

I'll wait patiently for my randall knife , and for the john fitch bowie I ordered from knifeart as well :).

François.

françois, so you are the lucky one! i received a fitch hunting knife a few weeks ago (not from knifeart) and i love it! so strong, yet light, john is very meticulous about fit and finish!

every now and then i check knifeart.com, bought one or two or so knives and never had a reason to complain.

brightred from europe

Yes I'm the one :),

and it will be my first knife from john fitch, I'm impatient to receive it to say the least ! I have a few questions for you:
Did you manage to have a sheath made for yours before having it shipped from the US ?
How is the edge on yours ? This question is purely academic, because I doubt I'll have the nerve to use such a beautiful knife.

François.

françois,

a few months ago i almost ordered that jim walker bowie/fighter from knifeart. in the end i didn't buy it because larry connelley from kifeart told me that if i want a sheath i need to make arrangements directly with a sheath maker. i understand his position but to me it seemed too risky and too complicated to get in touch with a maker, send the knife back from europe to the united states etc. i therefore did not order the knife.

the person i bought the fitch knife from (and a crowell knife) did that favour to me: before shipping the knives to europe he sent them to kenny rowe who made two simple but good sheaths. prices, communication and service were excellent.

edge: (pfff... don't know whether i can describe that correctly in english...) the blade is very thin near the edge, so the bevel is almost invisible, it almost looks like a convex ground blade. very well executed! and it is quite sharp...! you'll see that your question is not academic at all: i could not resist using this knife immediately after i had it in my hands. it's made to be used but hard to hurt! have fun!

brightred

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
brightred said:
edge: (pfff... don't know whether i can describe that correctly in english...) the blade is very thin near the edge, so the bevel is almost invisible, it almost looks like a convex ground blade.
You could say the edge angle is acute, acute being a narrow angle. The opposite would be obtuse.

brightred, Chris Carlson here, Itis good to know who you are on the forums. As far as spaceport goes I am sure you will be happy in the end. Perry is a great guy.

Cougar Allen

Buccaneer (ret.)
Esav, I think you've misunderstood him -- I think he's saying the edge is thin, or in other words the primary grind goes almost all the way to the edge and the edge bevel is almost invisible.

esav: even when magnifying the edge it is hard to say whether it is more acute than obtuse (hey, two more engl. words :) ) but cougar allen is right, the bevel is almost invisible.

chris (1): good to "see" you here! well, it is françcoisdm who ordered a knife from spaceportcutlery, not me.

anyway.

chris (2): i should have done this before but was too lazy to write in english. but now i unveil the source of knifecollector's happiness ;): it is chris carlson, creator and manager of the central texas knife show. i got a fitch and a crowell knife from chris who accepted a rather unusual payment method (i could not get money orders where i live), he sent the knives to kenny rowe for sheaths before shipping them to europe, communication and delivery was superfast and the knives are simply great and very reasonable priced! thanks chris!

brightred

Just a few words to tell you that I received the fitch bowie from knifeart: it's a fantastic knife, it's the best blade in my collection. I'm looking forward to get some more !

François.