Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Are the sharpened portion of the blades of the hatchet/machete both on the same edge or do they oppose?
What ever was the purpose of that? Quite a challenge for a sheath maker. :rolleyes:

As it's orientated in the image it's sharp on the bottom edge and at the left hand end of the long part, just the two sharp edges. A sheath.... 😄

I've found a name..."CARRASCO" can just be made out.

iP02xg6.jpg

And despite searching using CARRASCO & Spanish terms as yet I still haven't seen anything similar...... 😟

I'm guessing that tool is some kind of vine pruning tool. A lot of the more unusual multi-bladed billhook-class tools throughout Europe are for vine work of some sort or another.

Weeks of nothing special turning up & today I found this.....

CVdEgth.jpg

kmyCIN1.jpg

I've seen this shape once before but can't remember where!
It has a cutting edge on the hatchet part but looks as though only the end of the long part was sharpened, it tapers all the way from the handle to the tip.

The stirrup adze blade has the marking "James Cam Sheffield", it looks like that company disappeared in 1905.

IehlhHp.jpg

A few more bits, a Bellota Rock hammer with a tatty fibreglass handle hiding behind tape, it'll probably get a wooden handle, a Veneer hammer & another small head I haven't identified yet. The file turns out to be a Swiss made Vallorbe, I picked it up and had never felt a large file as fine, comparable to some needle files I have so thought it'd be useful for finishing, I was surprised to see the new price for it.....😳

6L90sJ8.jpg

If anyone recognizes a use for this hammer please let us know 🙂

r6kfSO3.jpg

You find the most unusual things!

As it's orientated in the image it's sharp on the bottom edge and at the left hand end of the long part, just the two sharp edges. A sheath.... 😄

I've found a name..."CARRASCO" can just be made out.

iP02xg6.jpg

And despite searching using CARRASCO & Spanish terms as yet I still haven't seen anything similar...... 😟

Just realised looking at it again with fresh eyes that below CARRASCO says "Hermanos" meaning brothers.........
So a quick Google turned up Herreria Hermanos Carrasco that's still in business!! Est 1850!

Blacksmith Carrasco brothers.
(Edit- I've removed the link as this isn't the same Carrasco's as the tool..... See post below).

I've emailed them with images asking what it is 😃........ So we'll see if we get a reply.......

Last edited:
Wow, just got a reply saying he's going to ask his Dad & Uncle what it is & he'll get back to me! All this in Spanish of course....
Quick response from a nice guy.

Edit- He's asked his Dad & he doesn't know, he's asked me to send some photos with measurements which I'll do tomorrow.
He says there has been five generations of his family in the business! 😳 since 1850.

Edit...again...-
A few more images I've sent -
I've also added that I understand it's very old so not a problem if no-one recognises what it is.

Qqc9Xrb.jpg

7w3kpo4.jpg

VKzlXJj.jpg

M6nnJxT.jpg

GBO39KH.jpg

Last Edit! - The guy was super helpful but after talking with older folks in his family he said that it wasn't a makers mark that their family would have used....:confused:
And despite a good guess they don't know what it is.....☹️

So, the quest goes on! 😄

Last edited:
Still no ideas as to the use of the mystery hatchet/chisel thingy-mi-bob. 😄

Today's finds are not particularly axey but definitely international! And RUSTY 😐

V9Tgyhn.jpg

Mortice chisel, Peugeot France.
KQPJVjN.jpg

Three bench chisels, Erik Anton Berg, Eskilstuna, Sweden 😊.
VCrHCFY.jpg

Auto body dolly, Picard, Germany.
m5pccwF.jpg

Warrington hammer, Bligh, London, UK.
FcsPlOv.jpg

Filler knife (when a layer of cement was removed!🙄) J.Tyzack & son, Sheffield, England. With what I suspect is an Ebony handle.
bZ4EKrf.jpg

And so as to not leave you good folks over the pond out - a DEFIANCE, made in USA adze-eye claw hammer head. Never heard of this make before, cool name! 😄
(Edit- Googled - "Defiance" was a name used by "Stanley" 1904-53, a cheaper line pre "Handyman").
1nf44F0.jpg

And also a poor shape Stanley screwdriver with it's name missing, could be US or UK......

Last edited:
Regarding the Warrington hammer, I can't find mention of "BLIGH" as a London tool maker anywhere...........

I see a trend here. 😄

A little while ago while working in the basement of an old house I spotted this Brades hatchet laying on top of a box of rusty tools, sadly it had a crack clean along the bottom of the eye on one side, it'd clearly been beaten with a hammer beyond what the thin eye walls would stand.
The owner wanted rid so it followed me home, I didn't think much about it except it was a shame seeing as it had a 1939 date stamp.

FpcuMrs.jpg

Then I had an idea. Sorry I didn't get a before photo........

9EjkJax.jpg

Very complex mock up jig........😄

PaYG9DE.jpg

I MIG welded it together after V'ing the back with the bit submerged in water. Sorry no pictures of my welding un-ground as it was.... urm.... wasn't my best 🙄 but it's penetrated properly so no worries there.

UcvECLO.jpg

K6ghA00.jpg

PNBlaS5.jpg

Still more grinding, shaping & cleaning up to do as well as adjusting the bevel, I'm not sure if I can save the Brades stamp and date in doing so but I'll try, the stamp is on the wrong side but it simply fitted together better for welding that way so that's how it is.
As far as I can find out a tiny bit of "round" in both directions is desirable on the "flat" side, any comments or advice appreciated.

In a way I'm pleased it was cracked as I couldn't do it to an old hatchet with no damage.

Looking forward to making a offset handle for it. 🙂

Last edited:
Great save!
Thanks. Got a bit more done on it today, looks as though to get it flat & lose the double bevel I will have to grind Brades & 1939 away, oh well. 🙁

The filler knife from a few posts up that I thought might have an ebony handle turns out officially to be a putty knife with a Cocoa handle!

8mdOJgc.jpg

I love it when I can find something in an old catalogue, and it's also good to know it's the strongest, cleanest, and most comfortable knife 😃 Joking aside it is a lovely knife.
Can't find much info about Cocoa wood, unsurprisingly it's from the tree that produces coco......

XT7xi5F.jpg

In my ignorance,;) this label " putty knives" tells us such a tool is even kind of universal and gets called into action for any and all putty applications. But, from the beginning the form(s) suggested to me a degree of specialization and conform to what I know of as glaziers putty knives. Any thoughts I S S? For example, did the now gone residue suggest a thing or two?

I just want to add on a thing or two pertaining to this axe you are converting. You're right of course to give the axe some sweep and a kind of arching and I think the sweep is fairly straightforward. The arch on the other hand may be more particular in its critical alignment with the purpose of course of creating a pivot point for controlling the depth of cut, the pivot occurring near or at a continuous line parallel to the cutting edge at about 25 mm back. Beyond that point the surface is not so critical, leaving space perhaps for retaining the figures, in the short terms.

Well this feature (apex) has maintenance implications obviously in that it should ideally retain its relative position in the long term.

Last edited:
Yes E Ernest DuBois it's a putty knife for applying putty to hold glass in frames, or that's what it used to be used for as I don't think it's done any more!
I can remember seeing my Dad (builder joiner) applying putty held in one hand & being pushed into place with his thumb over & over again then "cut" or smoothed with such a knife. Then at the other extreme is an old window where the putty's had years to go rock hard then requireing a "hacking knife" to remove it.

Thank you regarding the comment about the side hatchet, I've convexed it in both directions slightly, I did have to grind away the mark but that was to do with the way the two parts were aligned for welding.
I got a good photo of it before grinding & in years to come if someone finds this hatchet & doesn't know anything about it they'll be able to simply look at it and their eye image search brain internet archives interface will bring up this thread......😎

Just needs a handle & final sharpening now, I've left a bit of the old finish between what I've had to grind.

j4Ij4D6.jpg

bLQZwgK.jpg

8Rux26I.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious, is that a joint about 1/4 of the way back from the edge? It almost seems in both shots looking into the eye there is an indication of a bit having been welded on.

I'm curious, is that a joint about 1/4 of the way back from the edge? It almost seems in both shots looking into the eye there is an indication of a bit having been welded on.

No. Anything that looks rough (other than my welding 😄) is either the original rough casting or rust pitting.

Still, I'm seeing something distinct from surface imperfections in both before grinding and after grinding shots including oxidation variations in newly exposed material either side of the apparent scarf. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me though and a poor interpretation of the pictures, so please, carry on.

Yes E Ernest DuBois it's a putty knife for applying putty to hold glass in frames, or that's what it used to be used for as I don't think it's done any more!
I can remember seeing my Dad (builder joiner) applying putty held in one hand & being pushed into place with his thumb over & over again then
Then at the other extreme is an old window where the putty's had years to go rock hard then requireing a "hacking knife" to remove it.

It's still done, at least by me, being my own glass setter 'n all. Where I am these glazing knives are distinct in form by region and me situated in Friesland like I am just now having the Frisian one, shown at top.

img_2387.jpg

just under is the kapmesI use, as you describe it, for removing old dried putty. It is a really effective and versatile tool. Once I mistook a similar tool used for trimming horse hoofs at a market in France for one of these until getting set straight on that score at the time. The confusion came from the unusual end-on profile, that end having a bevel and cutting edge as well.

img_2388.jpg

I would just caution you to wear an N95 mask when removing old glazing putty unless you know that it’s modern asbestos free putty. The old putties were full of asbestos and it becomes very friable when old and hard.

Nice knives E Ernest DuBois , I like the fuller in your kapmes, I have two that are just simple flat steel with thick leather riveted on the same as yours.

Whenever I read about people asking for a knife for "batoning" I think of a Hacking knife / Kapmes, they are literally made for it!

( I don't like the use of baton & batoning, it's splitting or cleaving, a baton is what you hit the cutter with! It's funny how a word catches on & repeated so much it changes the language so I guess it's here to stay.....).

Last edited:
Back