Spanish Notches

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
On another forum we were talking about these mysterious areas of the historical knife.

Most agree it was supposed to be a blade catcher of sorts to stop another blade from reaching the wrist and possibly being able to twist it away from your opponent.

Another aspect was that it acted as a drip stop so when the blade was raised, liguid would not run onto the hand and grip. :eek:

More likely it was what it is now: a place to chance some decoration.

Here are 60 examples of work I have gathered. They are not all Spanish notches, but that's the majority. Click on this image for REALLY LARGE version (2700 wide x 860kb)

Like 'em or don't, they're a fixture of tradtional knives.

Coop

Dang,Coop,
Thanks for livening up a rather dull night in our forum. :thumbup:
Some incredible stuff there! :cool:

Doug

That's a very cool spread Coop. On the right knife, I like a Spanish notch or fancy choil. This reminds me, I need to work on a drawing of a knife with a fancy choil, Spanish notch area ;)

Thanks!

Spanish notches look good on some knives, but it is a feature that on most knives I just don't care for.

Ditto for that one, Keith, it has kept me from buying about 25% of the knives that I have been leaning towards, so I suppose that I should thank the makers!:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I can speak Spanish now! Thanks Coop. Hey wait a minute....one of those is a french notch!

Alot of these fancy choils were seen on knives made near port cities and are considered by some to used for the purpose of tying fishing nets together. Although I believe many were purely decoration.

I have read they were used for all sorts of things but I imagine you guys are correct when you say its decorative, especially in this day and age.

Personally I love the way they look! I think it really sets off some makers work like Tim Hancock.

Wow - that was a treat! The Hancocks, Broadwells, the Newton and the Derringer - yowza! I think a Spanish notch is a wonderful touch on the right knife. Indeed - I could hardly conceive of some of the pictured knives without that feature.

Thanks for the new wallpaper Coop!

Roger

Yup, there's an old French knife, German knicker, and a simple Russian one (C-5). Australia is represented as is Canada. A-4 I believe is an American Stag Bowie made in the Phillippines. (It was one of my first 'customs'.:))

One knife is shown twice and there are two folders. Jim Schmidt has two knives in this showcase.

Of course I added (7) of Hill Pearce's notches, which I consider THE most intiguing. ;) (Save for Cristof Deringer's triple curleycue..)

I think I counted (9) ABS Mastersmith's work.

YMMV

Coop

joeshredd said:
They can make some knives stand out! :D

The Spanish notch, and thin guard material were the WORST two elements, of an otherwise breathtaking and unparallelled piece of edged artistry/craftsmanship.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

You can like'um or not like'um but you have to admit that Mister Coop's compilation photo is really something special.

The Spanish notch, and thin guard material were the WORST two elements, of an otherwise breathtaking and unparallelled piece of edged artistry/craftsmanship.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

STeven,

I know our tastes are similar in some respects, and different in others, but unless upon handling the particular one I posted and finding your thoughts on the guard being too thin to be accurate, I still find both the notch and the unequal guard to be part of a particularly pleasing package to me...

But hey, that's why they make sooooo many micro-brews around the country - We may not like each others' particular draught, but we can sit at the same table and enjoy each others' company! :thumbup:

And compare opinions on blades... That's why I enjoy reading y'alls' opinions! :cool: They have led me to see things I might not ordinarily see... And Coop's presentation has shown me way more than I've ever seen at once before...

Thanks Coop!

Since Coop started this thread by saying that a discussion on the notch occured on another forum, I guess what I'd like to know, regarding it's historical origins, is does anyone here have citable references to the Spanish Notch? Or is most of what I'm seeing posted merely speculation, innuendo or rumour?

I'm curious, as I'll probably go home tonite and try to find any actual references in the meager library I have. It's kind'a like the clip portion of a large blade or sword... Where did that come from? See, Ed Fowler actually wrote about that particular feature in an article in Blade: He felt it served no purpose and was either a weight saving idea or something else. It wasn't until he read a manual of arms, produced IIRC by Patton, regarding the cavalry sword with a clip point, that argued the clip actually served a function: it allowed a blade that's been thrust into something to be more easily removed as it would continue to open the entrance wound on withdrawl...

And that's the kind of reference stuff I'd like to see regarding the Spanish Notch...

Thanks in advance, guys!

On an older style knife, I think that Spanish notches look great Jim Treacy

ABS2005RaffleKnife.jpg

Great collage Coop! Interesting thread. Most of the time, the fancy choil and Spanish notch looks over done and too fragile for my taste but on the right piece I like it such as Rob Patton's Batwing knife.

Back