Special Knives acquired or gifted to you - share them here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Old Hunter, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I've seen folks come here to show a special knife, one gifted to them from a close friend or family member, or handed down from a father, grandfather, or grandmother, etc. The shame is those threads disappear from the The Porch pretty soon and get lost. I think a thread where we post our special knives would be good to both show them off and preserve the stories. If you have one, or a dozen, post them here.

My first is a pocketknife my Grandad gave to my Dad many, many years ago; my Dad kept it in his tacklebox for thirty or more years and passed it to me maybe ten years ago. Ulster Old Timer 58OT, I do carry it occasionally. OH

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Aryan29, Liberando, Feca10ne and 36 others like this.
  2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh gosh. I have so many knives that were gifted to me by forum members that I'm afraid I'll leave somebody out if I attempt to post them all. With that in mind, I'll keep it to friends and family outside of knife forums.

This Case Peanut was a neat little surprise that my wife conjured up for my birthday. I took a trip down to Grand Prairie Knives one day and when I walked in the door one of the clerks told me that before I leave he has a package for me. My wife ordered the knife online while I was driving down there. She told the clerk what kind of t-shirt I was wearing so he would know who to give it to. Completely caught me off guard.
    Birtday Peanut.jpg
    This was another sneaky surprise from my wife. We were at a knife show and Jeff @black mamba and I were standing right next to my wife looking at a couple of Jeff's knives. My wife bought me this Tuna Valley Cattleman and neither Jeff or I saw her do it despite the fact that we were standing right next to her. She gave it to me when we got home that day.
    IMG_3277.JPG
    I've posted this one before and it has a bittersweet story. It was the EDC of a dear friend of the family. His Son gave it to me shortly after Carroll passed away. I was opening the blades to take pictures of the knife and the back spring snapped in two as soon as I opened the second blade riding on the same back spring. My heart sank. I was going to carry it in honor of Carroll but since that couldn't happen, I wanted to honor him as best I could. Needless to say, I no longer open more than one blade at a time when they ride on the same back spring. I wish I would have learned this lesson on any other knife.
    IMG_1208.JPG

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Wonderful gifts from some of my forum friends...
    @Jack Black , @Modoc ED , @knowtracks , and somebody that wants to stay anonymous when I post the knife (I respect that). ;)
    I carry them, use them, and think kindly of the gentlemen that gave them to me. Some may have greater monetary value, but none is worth more than the other to me. It's never about the value of the knife but rather the value of the gesture that's important to me. Thanks again to all of them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    First, a GEC that my wife gave me for my birthday ten years ago.
    [​IMG]

This Vic Evolution White Christmas was a gift from my wife three years ago for Christmas.
    [​IMG]

Finally, this is maybe my most cherished knife. It's certainly the best looking GEC ever produced (IMHO), and one I plan to keep hold of forever.
    [​IMG]

About five years ago we were in some financial straights and I sold the knife to a friend here on the BFC exchange, and for a pretty hefty price at the time. Before I could even send him the knife, he contacted me and said he knew how much it meant to me, and to just keep it. I asked if he would like his money back, and he said no, keep the money and the knife! This selfless act made the knife multiple times more precious to me than it already was. Thank you, Brett, forever!

5. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Nice idea @Old Hunter :thumbsup::cool:

....both, from a dear friend who has taught me much and introduced me to many lovely people and makers alike in our sharp world

Halfrich
    [​IMG]

Custom Damascus Veld Knife
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, Bigfattyt, Feca10ne and 27 others like this.
  6. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    ....wow, just wow, what a great response :)

7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Both of these from @JohnDF:

This one from one of his giveaways

[​IMG]

And this Columbia Knife Works SFO Scout Trapper with Ebony covers.

[​IMG]

mqqn, Old Engineer, The Fort and 15 others like this.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    A friend gave me this Wenger soldier from my birth year.

[​IMG]

mqqn, GABaus, Cutfinger and 14 others like this.
  9. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Good old KBA.....the porch is a place where what goes around, comes around. I did the same to him with his copperhead jigged bone 81 stockman. Gave it back. When he needed money for that little girl, I bought it again. Still have it.

mqqn, waynorth, redsparrow and 6 others like this.
  10. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks for your posts gents, I know there have to be a couple more out there....
    My Christmas gift from my folks in 1968, a Western "sheath knife" that I picked out at Tarrytown Mall in Rocky Mount NC while with my father. He and my Mom would take our family to the mall (only one east of Raleigh in those days) to Christmas Shop and eat out - then Dad would go back and decide what things we showed him that he and Mom wanted to buy for us. I was sure hoping that I got the knife! Still clean a deer with it from time to time for old time sake. This is the third sheath this knife has worn. OH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    The first knife that I ever owned that was anything more than just a tool was a Buck Alpha that my Son gave me. That started the uh... 'problem.' Muskrat Man sent me the amber bones to bolt on that knife. The other special knife was the last knife my paternal grandfather owned, a German Boker. He was born a week before Custer no longer needed a knife, and made it through 94 very colorful years. alpha001 (Large) (2).jpg Boker Cal Pruett 1.jpg Bokers001.jpg

mqqn, Cutfinger, 315 and 8 others like this.
  12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    This Serra-made Sardinian Pattada was gifted to me as I sat down to dinner in Paris! A fine memory of a wonderful too-short visit!!
    Thanks @Âchillepattada !! Serra from J-M 1.jpg

Bigfattyt, mqqn, Jack Black and 19 others like this.
  13. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    My grandpa Leroy's schrade 8ot. My dad discovered it and gave it to me for christmas 2018. It was quite the surprise. My dad used it some after grandpa passed and said he was probably the one who heated up the blade.

IMG_6807.jpg IMG_6808.jpg

14. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Both of these are special as they were birthday gifts from my parents when I was a boy.

20200128_125358.jpg

20200128_125409.jpg

15. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Some great old knives being displayed, thanks for sharing your knives and your stories. I hope there are more to come! OH

Old Engineer, waynorth and TheChunk91 like this.
  16. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    I posted this promotional knife some time ago in the Old Knives thread. It belonged to my paternal grandfather, who passed away in 1916. After it was handed down to me I’ve carried it exactly once (very carefully).
    [​IMG]

Another one from Old Knives - small pen knife which belonged to my mother, with her maiden name initials “engraved” circa 1932-1934 (I assume my father gave her the knife and did the engraving when they were dating.)
    [​IMG]

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    The squirt was a Christmas gift in 2018
    The 110 was my high school graduation gift
    And the Case 6208 came from a very special giveaway here on the forum, and the story behind it makes it very special to me beyond just loving what the knife offers

mqqn, waynorth, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  18. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    These are from 2 of our Forum Legends :
    Case was from Duncan @Campbellclanman
    The other one is from @paulhilborn :
    I have always carried them at the same time and always in Slips .
    Someday they will go back to them , but hopefully that will not be soon . These , to me , are some very special knives .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

Bigfattyt, mqqn, paulhilborn and 19 others like this.
  19. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Terrific thread!! I’ve told this story before, but I think it’s worth repeating. Grandad bought this Western just before he shipped out to Okinawa in WWII, serving in the Seabees. He carried it throughout the war and there is a family story that it actually saw action. After the war he left the Iowa/Wisconsin area for Montana, then up to Alaska for several years. This knife took car of moose, caribou, fish and who knows what other tasks. In the late 60’s he went back to Montana, continuing to use this knife on deer, antelope and fish. In 1997, the years my oldest daughter was born, I was at his place on a bow hunt for deer. He tossed me the knife and told me he wanted me to have it. I’ve used it ever since, maybe not every year, but enough to get some action on moose, elk, deer, bear and antelope. The old man passed away this past October at 102. Two days later my oldest daughter and I were standing over a little whitetail buck she shot in Idaho. She said “Grandpa is doing us a solid and sending this deer our way, I’m shooting it”. This is the only knife we used on that deer. She will get the knife someday, to hopefully pass down.

[​IMG]

20. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    That's awesome Jim!

This little case was a gift one christmas when I was a teenager. I don't remember the exact year. My sister picked it out and dad bought it. It was one of the best (quality wise) knives I had in those years so I always took pretty good care of it. I remember being impressed with how sharp it was when new, back when factory edges were sharper than what I could accomplish.

It's been a while since I've carried it so I have it today.

IMG_6842.JPG

mqqn, willard0341, GABaus and 10 others like this.