Special Knives acquired or gifted to you - share them here.

This is a knife my wife gave me for Christmas, 2018. We were browsing a western wear store, and she stopped at the Case knife display, looking at the HD knives. She told me to pick the one I wanted... I chose this one, when in reality I had picked the one I wanted almost 38 years ago. :)

j2ZGnA.jpg

This is a knife my wife gave me for Christmas, 2018. We were browsing a western wear store, and she stopped at the Case knife display, looking at the HD knives. She told me to pick the one I wanted... I chose this one, when in reality I had picked the one I wanted almost 38 years ago. :)

j2ZGnA.jpg

:):thumbsup:

You got a good one eh!
Nice knife too.

Great thread - you know us knife people have a lot of sentimental attachments, and it is heartwarming to read these stories and see the pictures of knives that mean so much.

I have several, but I will post this first one and then come back to the thread later when I am situated to take pictures of the others that are dear and tell the stories.

This knife; a Case "pocket-worn" red bone penknife, was my late step-father Harold's knife. I had given "Harry" the knife years earlier as a Christmas gift, as I knew he loved good quality tools and always carried a knife. Harry was very fond of the knife, and had carried it for several years working his job as a pipe-insulator.

One day my mother called me and told me that Harry had lost his knife! She said he was distraught at the idea of losing that knife as it meant so much to him, but he didn't want me to know it went missing.

We knife affectionados all can appreciate that burning feeling when you find your favorite knife has gone points unknown. Not a good feeling.

I got on the Case (pun intended) and headed to the local old-fashioned hardware store where I had purchased the first knife for Harry, and asked the owner if they could get me another. He said he would try, and later he called me (land lines were all we had back then) and told me he could still order the "pocket worn red bone" knife. I ordered one and had it in hand in a few weeks.

I gave the knife to Harry to replace the lost one, and he was again happy to have his knife.

About a year later, Harry found the original knife (pictured here later on) and let me know right away that he had found his friend.

Harry later, sadly, succumbed to mesothelioma from his years of working with asbestos. In his estate, he asked that I receive his valued knives (the original and the replacement). My Mother made sure that happened.

I asked that the replacement be given to Harry's oldest blood Grandson, and I kept this knife. Harry's knife. It means the world to me and always will.

This is my most valued knife.

DSC_2613.JPG

best

mqqn

Before Christmas one year I was about 8 years old. Dad, papaw, and I went to the feed mill to get a few things before holidays. The mill always had fruit and old timey Christmas candy there around the holidays. They also had a monster display of case knives. Everybody I knew had a case knife and I wanted one bad. Dad told me go help papaw load the truck while he payed the bill. He got into the truck and handed me the bag and it was filled with candy and fruit. Then while I was feeling for the cream drops I felt a box. I instantly knew what it was. He got me a black sodbuster jr! I was speechless. He said it wasn’t a present but a well earned gift for all the help in the tobacco patches, hay fields, feeding calves, and etc. i keep the knife in my safe now and when I look at it now it takes me to that moment sitting between the two men I admire the most.

Thanks for your posts gents, I know there have to be a couple more out there....
My Christmas gift from my folks in 1968, a Western "sheath knife" that I picked out at Tarrytown Mall in Rocky Mount NC while with my father. He and my Mom would take our family to the mall (only one east of Raleigh in those days) to Christmas Shop and eat out - then Dad would go back and decide what things we showed him that he and Mom wanted to buy for us. I was sure hoping that I got the knife! Still clean a deer with it from time to time for old time sake. This is the third sheath this knife has worn. OH
Western-L66-Black-Beauty-ca-1966.jpg

Colonels-deer-Western-F66.jpg

That is my exact first knife I ever bought for myself, cost was 5 quarters at the old Ben Franklin store here in town. I saved up for weeks to be able to purchase it all on my own, I will never forget how proud I was of that knife at only 9 years old. Thanks for posting that picture, sure did bring back a great memory.

This next knife is sort of a gift in reverse. I had originally given this one, a Schrade Walden 760, to my dad some time back, or I should say he picked it out himself from my collection. He loved it and it was his constant companion.

One day while visiting him, I noticed it was starting to outgas pretty badly.

sw760-1 resize.jpg

I ended up modding it into this, and he enjoyed it again until his passing a few years back.

sw760-6 resize.jpg

My mom found it in his things and gave it back to me. I carry it on special occasions and it reminds me that he is still close by.

These are special to me. The Western W39 was given to me by my wife for our very first Christmas together. She already knew I spent a lot of time hunting and fishing and surprised the heck out of me when I opened it up. She picked this out all by herself even though she was a big city girl at that time. Lost her suddenly in 2003, but each time I butcher a deer I still make sure to use it to honor her first gift to me.

The Camillus Barlow #51 and the Schrade Old Timer 340T (maybe it’s 3401) are both from my Grandpa. I still remember him always carrying the Old Timer in his front pocket and always finding a way to use it multiple times a day. I really like the feeling of the #51 when you open it, a solid click at the halfway mark, then a solid click again at full open for each of the blades.

View attachment 1278304 View attachment 1278305 View attachment 1278306

This next knife is sort of a gift in reverse. I had originally given this one, a Schrade Walden 760, to my dad some time back, or I should say he picked it out himself from my collection. He loved it and it was his constant companion.

One day while visiting him, I noticed it was starting to outgas pretty badly.

View attachment 1278239

I ended up modding it into this, and he enjoyed it again until his passing a few years back.

View attachment 1278240

My mom found it in his things and gave it back to me. I carry it on special occasions and it reminds me that he is still close by.
That's pretty special. :cool::thumbsup:

I guess I will mention some special knives that were gifted to me that I no longer have.

My first knife was given to me by my father when I was about 9 or 10. It was a scout knife, with the usual spear, cap lifter/screwdriver, can opener, and punch blades. It had a black jigged synthetic handle and a bail. Don't remember the brand, but I took it on many a campout, and even used it at home to open cans for my mother. I probably left it at home when I moved out at age 19. Don't know where it is now. Wish I still had it.

Another gift was from a friend maybe three decades ago. A small pen knife--clip and pen blades on opposite ends, yellow jigged synthetic stag. I carried it for years. I gave it to my daughter, the only one of my six children that appreciates traditional knives.

My wife gave me a Victorinox knife with a writing pen "blade", probably replacing the toothpick or tweezers. The size of the Classic. Used it at least till the ink ran out. Don't know where it is now.

Now for the knives I still have. From my wife:
tbVj1rO.jpg

The knife attached to the watch was given by my wife to her father when she was young--maybe a teenager or early 20's. The watch has his initials. From Solingen, Germany. I guess she got it back when he died in 2007 (she was the executrix of his estate). She gave it to me last year because of my enthusiasm for my new knife "hobby." The other knife is just a souvenir from Garner State Park in the Texas hill country. She went camping there with our daughter and bought that for me last year.

From my father-in-law:
jknLBRi.jpg

He was a gun collector, and he received this in a gun trade or purchase. He gave it to me (he also gave me a few guns: handguns, rifles, and a shotgun). I assumed it was from Germany because it says "ROSTFREI" on the tang. But it is from Maniago, Italy. It is an out-the-front switchblade. I don't carry it much, but it's fun to play with.

From my uncle:
d1aCZcW.jpg

The Deluxe Tinker had been my deceased brother's. My uncle gave it to me with the proviso that I not get rid of it. I assured him I wouldn't. I don't know if my brother gave it to him, or if my mother gave it to him after my brother died. The other knife is an Ambassador advertising knife from my great aunt & uncle's restaurant, which was across the street from the first house I lived in. My grandmother was next door to us, and on the other side was my great aunt and uncle's house. Actually, three of my great aunts lived there--it was a big house. Restaurant and houses long gone. Just a souvenir from happy times.

From my boss (who is also a friend):
5IpkOCr.jpg

He gave me this smooth bone trapper for Christmas. One of my favourite knives.

From the Porch:
0yuDejI.jpg

These were given to me at different times by a member who asked to be anonymous. My first GEC knife, a fixed blade, with a pocket sheath. Wonderful knife. And a Case peanut SFO with cocobolo scales. I think it's from 1990. Lovely knife, and much appreciated. And a Case jigged Delrin wharncliffe mini trapper. Also wonderful. I thank him.

AFIjsP9.jpg

These I received out of the blue from Randy Redden. My first GEC slipjoint: an awesome Huckleberry Boys Knife, with ebony scales. And a Buck Nano-Bantam lockback, and a Winchester lobster knife. Thanks, Randy.

CtOOUBk.jpg

And this from Taylor: an African rosewood lambsfoot knife. It feels great in the hand and disappears in the pocket. Great knife. Thanks, Taylor.

These are all special knives I do not intend to part with.

I have so many knives that have been gifted to me, I would love to start by going through them all, but the fear of missing just one person out terrifies me to no end, so I wont.
I have been selling knives of late to keep my direction "in check", but my gifted knives - and I know them - and very often I go though my lot, each and every one is so treasured and I always feel warmness of friendship when either treating the knife to a wax and oil before it's turn in the edc rotation. My gifted Knives will never be sold - ever.
I worry at times as I have been gifted knives that may be very similar to ones I have either sold or gifted, but my friends don't worry, it's not the Knife you gave me!
This too goes to people whom have sold me a knife- but at a give-away price -because I know they are being very very kind and that that too is a great gift - these are included.
On the very rare occasion at a special time I have gifted a knife that was gifted to me because I could see the amazing unbelief in the receivers face at that stage of handing the Knife over to them, I felt extremely weird about doing that but feel justified that that Knife has again enlightened someone's life by being gifted it - and I had the massive pleasure of receiving that knife- using it - and being able to continue it's journey onto another owner in a special way.
I want to thank ALL of my Forum friends here for my many treasures that I value extremely deeply, in turn- there have been many people - a long way outside this Forum who in NZ here have never carried a knife- but admired mine when I am around them - so these people now have their very own knife in their pocket.
Thank you all for your wonderful gifts, I want each and every one of you that often I think of you when that Knife is with me.

The advertising knife from your family's business is a special jewel, Vince. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John. On the other side of the knife is the name of a club they owned. I didn't know about the club before. Maybe it was in the '40s and '50s, but I remember the Mexican restaurant very well. Best enchiladas ever. I probably ate them before I could walk.

When I was a boy in the 1960's and early 70's hunting in our family meant either birds (Bobwhite) or Gray Squirrel. We hunted either of my two uncles adjacent farms in the Bell Arthur section of Pitt County in eastern NC. We didn't travel anywhere else to hunt, and we did it all with hand me down gear (my Dad or Uncle Fred's old stuff). Here from the fall of 1970 is my Dad, me (I was a tall kid at 15), and two of my brothers coming home from a bird hunt (my Mom was the family photographer). Dad bought this Buck Knife from H. L. Hodges Hardware sometime in the 1970's, I vaguely remember him using it to clean out the bird's cavity when it was warmish in the game pouch. When Dad quit bird hunting about ten years ago he gave it to me (I'm the only bird hunter left in our family). I took it last week on a bird hunt in Anson County NC - it is a connection to times past for me and therefore special; my Dad can't walk without a walker anymore, one of my brothers in this photo passed six years ago, and the youngest in this picture only fishes today. Those were good days - I'd love to live them again. OH
Dad-and-the-Baker-Brothers-Fall-1970-bird-hunt.jpg

Buck-321-Bird-Knife-on-2-4-20.jpg

When I was a boy in the 1960's and early 70's hunting in our family meant either birds (Bobwhite) or Gray Squirrel. We hunted either of my two uncles adjacent farms in the Bell Arthur section of Pitt County in eastern NC. We didn't travel anywhere else to hunt, and we did it all with hand me down gear (my Dad or Uncle Fred's old stuff). Here from the fall of 1970 is my Dad, me (I was a tall kid at 15), and two of my brothers coming home from a bird hunt (my Mom was the family photographer). Dad bought this Buck Knife from H. L. Hodges Hardware sometime in the 1970's, I vaguely remember him using it to clean out the bird's cavity when it was warmish in the game pouch. When Dad quit bird hunting about ten years ago he gave it to me (I'm the only bird hunter left in our family). I took it last week on a bird hunt in Anson County NC - it is a connection to times past for me and therefore special; my Dad can't walk without a walker anymore, one of my brothers in this photo passed six years ago, and the youngest in this picture only fishes today. Those were good days - I'd love to live them again. OH
Dad-and-the-Baker-Brothers-Fall-1970-bird-hunt.jpg

Buck-321-Bird-Knife-on-2-4-20.jpg

I would have been 1 in the fall of 1970, but I’d love to go back in time and chase some game back then. Photos and stories from my Dad and Grandpa probably don’t do it justice.

Im fortunate to have been blessed with many knives over the years. Let’s start here. An ebony 48 improved trapper that @Jsega51 gave me. I agreed to buy it from him in 2016. I paid and he shipped. Well, my house flooded while it was enroute. And I found out I was having another baby (quite unexpected little blessing there). I sent Jake a message showing him the knife that it arrived. He knew about the flood. In the background was a pile of what used to be the inside of our house. It was about 10’ high and 30’ diameter. 4’ down, cabinets, furniture. All of it. He sent a paypal refund of my money saying I needed it more than him. And he wouldn’t take the knife back. So, it is now earmarked for that little boy. It’s a symbol to me always reminding me of the good people who helped us in that time that was hard then but was a blessing when it was all said and done. Thanks, again, jake. Even though I’ve never met you, you are a good friend.
E83B7F35-F275-4249-84B7-978FAEA58D7D.jpeg
Next is a little fixed blade I won in a giveaway (along with the case tribal spear below) from @r redden. Randy is one of our finest, no doubt. Thanks again, randy.
CC76285F-D8D3-4BC6-B040-D9AB941F5969.jpeg
Here is a little handmade one from my buddy @autogateman. He’s still learning and this was one of his first and it’s one of my favorites. I hope one day to be able to compare it to his 1500th knife to see how far he’s come.
41BC2570-AA73-4CED-9C8D-DD3C0BC51424.jpeg
The buck was a Christmas gift from my aunt. The dagger was my graduation gift from an old man (if he’s still alive, he’s got to be 90 now, I’m 45) who tinkered with knife blanks and added his own handles. Larry Jones was his name. He also hand made rifle stocks. I learned a lot from him in my late teens and early 20’s.
9D46A14C-DB7F-4222-BC37-35C640B60C57.jpeg
The queen on the left was my dads. He’s still here. But he gave to me cause I like knives. The Vic was Christmas gift from my wife this year. I have a replica cobra for those who don’t know. Love those cars. The case bose was a gift from @Railsplitter when I was seeking one some years ago. He asked me not to make a big deal of it so I didn’t, but I’ll slide this in the middle of here cause I want him to know I still remember and am still thankful for it. The right side. The box at the top is an old straight razor. The boker, buck and queen all from my dad. The buck is the one I remember him always carrying when I was a kid. The little kabar in its back was my great grandfathers. It doesn’t even snap anymore and is black. It was his teeth. The uncle Henry was my grandfathers. It has cleaned more rabbits than a legion of counts could count. He has been gone since 2007. I wish it would have been buried with him. I carry it once a year on Christmas Day and pull it out for dad and my aunt (the same that gave me the buck fixie) to have some memories. The case tribal spear came with the gec above from randy, as did the case lockback. He gave me that one long ago because he said it gladdened him to see someone not afraid of their Christianity (@r redden ). The orange marbles was a box giveaway (that is still going!). Since we on the subject, I left the two moderns in. The Kershaw my brother gave me when I was his best man for his wedding. The spyderco was a Christmas gift from my parents prolly 12 or so years ago.
A1E0D598-F2F5-49EA-B997-8E78BC35D33F.jpeg

Thanks for starting this thread. It was nice to pull out some memories and tell some folks again that I am still thankful for their gifts.

Happened to be aboard MCB-Camp Lejeune for business back in 1998, visited the MCX while I was there and bought this Kabar 1081 Medium Stockman out of a display case. It became my ARNG EDC at the time, replacing a VIC SAK I'd bought at Fort Bragg in 1986. This little Kabar went around the world with me a few times, most memorably a V Corps Winter Warfighter Exercise at Graf Germany in February 1999 and to OIF in 2003. The snapshot is of me cooking dinner (MRE by my right boot) at an airbase in Tobruk Saudi Arabia as I was passing through hopping flights around the theater to get to Arifjan Kuwait. The knife is in my left hand in the photo but you cannot make it out well. It's retired now, sits on a shelf with some of my other military memorabilia. OH
Kabar-1081-Medium-Stockman-MCX-1998.jpg

Cooking-lunch-April-2003.jpg

Back