Specially for the Fatwood haters !

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by pitdog, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Alright, fatwood, dry tinder, bark scraping, be forgotten, I give you GG firesteel!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Photo by Shyann

My oldest was running the camera, the blurry pic was because I was in motion and I had my camera set to record fireworks. It did.:D

Pit, you sure you don't want a 1/2"x 3" for Christmas?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa (add maniacal laff)

Moose

2. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    I have no problem with fatwood . I do need more practice with other tenders. Last week end I tried a few things including the inner bark from a ceder. I got it but it was not pretty. or as fast as I would have liked.

3. hlee

hlee

Dec 5, 2005
    I forgot to add the :D. My point is that what makes fatwood better than wood is the resin content. It is wood + resin. In order to make it take a spark it has to be shaved fine or made into dust. So, the best iteration is fine wood shavings + resin...

In the example provided, pitdog used cedar bark and balsam sap to light a fire. Resin is really just dried out sap. Cedar bark is generally good for fire starting because is easily parsed in to fine fibers, that I am going to equate to fine shavings. I'm going to say cedar = wood for now. If fatwood is fine wood shavings + resin, then cedar bark and balsam sap is fine wood shavings + resin + water/volatile organics. Yes, pitdog had to scrounge a bit to find the components, but they are really the same components.:D

4. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Never forget the :D it makes a big difference !;):thumbup:

5. August West

August West

Nov 1, 2009
    Yeah, Rock I know I piss people off sometimes, one of the reasons for the name change was to try to be a kinder, gentler boar. :D

If you really want to piss some people off say something negative about fatwood, the only point I was trying to make is that is not the only game in town, as a lot of posts would lead you to believe, but as Pit's post proved there are other options, even in the wet PNW. Chris

6. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Cool pics man,
    As long as you get the fire going that is what counts.

I could care less if you use fat wood or gasoline and a firesteel,matches,
    lighter or a coal, just so long as you post the pics of the fire:D.

Here is a fire

[​IMG]

I had fire yesterday for cooking Bison sausage, and frybread
    to have with my cheese and crackers and tea. I started that fire with
    some fat wood that I got at walmart and used my lighter to
    start it all :p.

Bryan

7. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    That's awesome, I'm sure those sparks would light water itself !:D:thumbup:

8. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Chris, you really piss people off:eek::D, Where the heck is that guy skammer when you need him lol

Bryan

9. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    Nah...you don't piss them off...debate and challenge are healthy and Pit came through. It is funny though..."don't talk about my fatwood...err, my mother!":eek::D

ROCK6

10. Calebklyne

Calebklyne

Aug 5, 2009
    As usual another great thread by pitdog

11. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    It's just weird to search out other tinders when Fatwood is so common everywhere I hike. I must have passed 20 fatwood stumps before I gathered the Cedar and Balsam !

It's like crawling naked over 5 Brunette's to get to the blonde, my knees get sore quick I'll stop at the first Brunette thank you !:D

12. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    You got that right.

Moose

13. August West

August West

Nov 1, 2009
    Regardless, that is no reason to not be well versed and skilled in a multitude of different techniques, you did not NEED a fire you were just practicing, if you want foolproof everytime never leave the house without a roadflare in your back pocket. Perhaps you will visit a place that isn't as fatwood rich, or a newb on this site lives somewhere that it is not that plentiful. Once I master a technique or skill I start looking for others to work on. Chris

14. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 21, 2006
    great stuff as usual Pit.. i love that last pic..:thumbup:

15. myright

myright Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Hell.. they sell it in Lowes for those that think they can't get it :)

I'm no hater, i'm a believer!

16. Pritch

Pritch

May 3, 2006
  17. August West

August West

Nov 1, 2009
    Heck, there I go screwing up again, I thought we were going to the woods, if we're going to Lowes, I'll pick up an electric start propane torch, some roadflares and maybe some of those easy light sawdust fireplace logs. Chris

18. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I can buy a box of fatwood pretty cheaply at the nearest RONA store. It's not that hard to find.

19. August West

August West

Nov 1, 2009
    53 days and Uncle Sugar can kiss my 4th point of contact.....as long the retirement checks make to the right address. :cool: :p Chris

20. PDE

PDE

Nov 7, 2010
    beautiful colors, so vibrant. love your posts.