Spine whacking? WHY????

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you did was assault. Plain and simple. You like to spout off about all of your "work" and "assignments" traveling the globe "putting sights on people", I'm calling BS.

Actually, since it involved physical violence, it was battery. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. No physical harm is necessary.

And while I'm not entirely certain of the circumstances of bodog clobbering that guy, he did demonstrate a fundamental truth: In almost any self-defense scenario, a stout stick is a better option than a knife. There's a reason gentlemen carried canes for centuries.

But this is Bladeforums.com, not StickForums.com. :D

What r-bomb? Retarded? That's an actual word and I used it according to its definition.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/retarded

I won't allow your misplaced sensitivities to diminish the English language. If you need a safe space then find one, but don't demand I alter an entire language just to suit your desire to be protected from what you feel is offensive when it's not. I did not use that word as a pejorative towards a legitimate handicapped person. I used it in its proper context.

"characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc."

Feeling the need to carry a 1/2" thick fixed blade knife just because it survived being hit with a sledgehammer without regard to any other factor "shows slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding..."

Feeling that you need an otherwise crappy folding knife with a lock that HAS to withstand 800 lbs of weight on the spine without regard to any other factor "shows slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding..." of what a knife is. Simply showing a knife can withstand 800 lbs of weight or simply designing a lock that is that good is not retarded. Showing a knife can reliably withstand normal use and can also withstand the occasional accident or abnormally rough use is not retarded, or " slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding..."

Almost to 16

:rolleyes:

Actually, since it involved physical violence, it was battery. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. No physical harm is necessary.

And while I'm not entirely certain of the circumstances of bodog clobbering that guy, he did demonstrate a fundamental truth: In almost any self-defense scenario, a stout stick is a better option than a knife. There's a reason gentlemen carried canes for centuries.

But this is Bladeforums.com, not StickForums.com. :D

Over the course of my life I've been stabbed, hit with bottles, shot at, bitten numerous times, punched and kicked in the nuts. I have scars pretty much all over me and most tell a pretty good story. My nose is jacked up, my lip is jacked up, I have what look like tiger striped scars on my neck. I have what look like quarter size burn marks on both arms from having chunks of skin bitten off. I've done some pretty nasty things to some. Left some scars on others. Left some people in a permanent state of disrepair. Thankfully never had to kill anyone though I've been close multiple times. There's a reason why cops carry a collapsible metal stick. There's also a reason why cops carry a taser and a pistol. And in spite of all those tools, there's still a reason most cops carry a knife tucked somewhere accessible. One, it's a tool that's pretty indispensable, but two, it's a nice piece of mind having something tucked away for that once in a lifetime moment where someone is on top of you beating the holy hell out of you and you can't grab anything else but that knife you have tucked away.

Point being, you can carry a stick anywhere. Not so much the other things. And yeah, they work if used properly or cops wouldn't carry them. I can carry a knife and a pistol most everywhere and prefer the latter option most of the time. But back before I could carry a pistol everywhere, I carried a walking stick...because they work.

I'm not proud about any of that. I'm a miserable failure in some certain things others are great at, like being a family man or business owner. But I have done what I say I've done and I'd trade all that experience for being just a normal dad and husband. Take it for what it's worth. I listen to "The Winner" by Kris Kristopherson and it hits home.

And as far as clobbering that guy, it's too much to tell here and likely not many would care but he was a brother to me before that incident and is still a brother to me now. I know what he was doing and why and what I needed to do to stop him. When I visited him in intensive care he knew why I did what I did and with a bandaged head and slurred speech he laughed and said I did what I needed to do. All that is a long time passed and the whole story is way too long and something I don't really care to get into. And no, as far as I know he's never hit another woman.

Last edited:
I've got a couple walking sticks and canes, and as I approach 60 it doesn't even look odd when I carry one. I've even got some training in stick fighting. But before I whip out my knife in self defense I'm going to try the tactical pen and/or the pepper spray I carry everywhere.

Sounds like your life has been a lot more exciting than mine, but I'm not sure I should be unhappy about that. :)

I've got a couple walking sticks and canes, and as I approach 60 it doesn't even look odd when I carry one. I've even got some training in stick fighting. But before I whip out my knife in self defense I'm going to try the tactical pen and/or the pepper spray I carry everywhere.

Sounds like your life has been a lot more exciting than mine, but I'm not sure I should be unhappy about that. :)

It's not quite so exciting these days. I have a lot of down time on the job. But when it ramps up it ramps up fast.

It's getting really deep here.

I could post photos of the scars but that's pretty off topic. And you probably wouldn't believe me even if I told you all the stories that went with all of them. I could show court cases, case reports, intelligence reports, etc but you wouldn't believe those either. I could give you a rundown of my entire life but I doubt you'd believe that, either. I don't care. Doesn't really matter. You're just an anonymous guy sitting behind some computer screen or phone just like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back