Spine whacking? WHY????

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess i really dont understand the concept of "spinewhacking" and why so many do it and feel it is such an important factor on choosing some knives. Really, in normal to heavy use, please someone tell me how a spine on a lockback would Be hitting a solid object with that much force to bring to failure? Dont remember using my Buck 110 that way ever for the 15 or so years I had it.

It's a ridiculous test that proves absolutely nothing, but I guess some knife companies need to be #1 at something...

I always test this way, just like I always test drive cars by throwing them in reverse as fast as they will go then shifting into drive without even slowing down, only the toughest cars can handle that ; )

I always test this way, just like I always test drive cars by throwing them in reverse as fast as they will go then shifting into drive without even slowing down, only the toughest cars can handle that ; )

When i was young, that was called a "rockford"!! :D

Everybody is different, that's why.
Problems arise when the different groups think each should understand the other: it never happens.
Your search for understanding is more likely to find the Grail. which is yet another point of contention on this forum.

Because some people want to know that their knife lock will hold under the craziest stuff. There's nothing wrong with that. It's like taking your ferrari up to 190 mph even though 99.9% of the time it's absolutely retarded to drive like that. Or unloading 5,000 rounds through your AR 15 without cleaning it just to know it can. No one walks around smashing their knife spines against things just like no one drives around at 190 mph or shoots 5,000 rounds through a rifle without cleaning it. But if the zombies attack (or rioters take over your town) or nuclear war with Russia happens, you just want the reassurance that whatever you're carrying at the time will perform exactly as you desired when you purchased it.

Disclaimer: Yes, I carry a Spyderco with a liner lock. No, I don't own a cold steel. The next woman I marry, I'll also see her max out her cooking skills before I ask her to marry me. I've been burned twice already, no pun intended. Neither one delivered what they promised.

I like steel and geometry and ergonomics more than lock strength, but some people would think me retarded for that so I try to respect other people's different desires even though they may not be my own in hopes that we can all find a common ground. I mean, we are on a knife forum, after all.

Last edited:
It's silly to focus on spine whacking as being the focal point of a knifes purpose, but if a company markets its knives as "hard use" i say go for it. After all tell me what the heck is "hard use"? hard cutting? hard impact? hard stabbing? how hard can you actually cut something? you cut material and if the knifes sharp and the geometry is right it will cut, if it is too hard to cut you need to put the folder down and find the correct tool. I'd like to know that if i had to stab a knife through a piece of hard material outdoors if it's going to close on my fingers. People use their knives for all sorts of things, some use the spine of a knife to crack coconuts open all the way around, or break seals around things of a similar nature. If you ask me, the hard use test should be reserved for Tri-ad Locks and other brands that market saying theirs is just as strong. Spine whacking on frame locks and liner locks? just stupid, its going to either slip or deform the liners/stop pin etc. and cause premature issues even if it does hold up to the impact. End of the day it's different strokes for diff folks, there's a knife out there for everyone. I'd wager about 6% of people actually "hard use" their folding knives. That term is overused marketing fluff, a knife is only as strong as it's weakest link, which in most cases is the lock. At least cold steel only claim to have the toughest lock - and it's true because they do, they don't claim to be the best at anything else, funny thing is most of the new cold steels in CTS XHP are stronger and more capable cutting tools than knives 5 times more expensive.

Last edited:
Spine whacking is an objective test designed to measure the quality of a knife. So what's the problem?

Spine whacking is an objective test designed to measure the quality of a knife. So what's the problem?

Can you elaborate on how smashing the spine of your knife is an objective measure of quality? Seems more like a subjective test of abuse.

^ This is what I mean. Really how often in using a knife hard would the spine be smacked against a hard object with a folder? I guess stabbing in and upwards in a car hood might be one way. I can get a coconut open easy lightly tapping around it with a heavy butterknife.

^ This is what I mean. Really how often in using a knife hard would the spine be smacked against a hard object with a folder? I guess stabbing in and upwards in a car hood might be one way. I can get a coconut open easy lightly tapping around it with a heavy butterknife.

Spine whacking seems to me to be an uneducated test of lock geometry. You can look at where the liner/frame lock is mating with the blade and get an idea if the geometry is OK, if the lockup is real early, push in the blade while open and see if the lock slips. If not its fine.

This topic has been whacked to death so many times on this site. :D

Just Google "Spine whacks, bladeforums", and you will have hours (or days) of reading fun.
The same folks will show up time and again to go "Yay spine whacks!", or "Spine whacks are the devil!!!"
Soon you will be able to tell what they will write merely by viewing their screen-name.

Enjoy. ;)

Screw lock strength. Buy an opinel and you'll have plenty of skins leftover for mustache wax, cigarette holders and a
Mr. Peanut outfit.

well buddy back in the day when i was a young buck i use to hammer in nails with spine whack. didnt work too well but could get the job done in a pinch. cut a lot of fingers doin it that way and a couple toes to before i finally started caring a little hammer in the back of my ole trusty truck when i went on jobs. jus make sure to be wearing your shoes if you try in case you drop the thing. have a good one pal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back