Spur some discussion with your pics

I wouldn't trust a sword with a fake hamon to be very durable.

And I'm not trying to be rude, or insult your collection.

I hear ya. The hamon is just wire brushed and while its not real its still sharp. Would you trust a claymore even though it doesnt have a hamon at all They're durable for cutting just fine:D. You should try them.

I hear ya. The hamon is just wire brushed and while its not real its still sharp. Would you trust a claymore even though it doesnt have a hamon at all They're durable for cutting just fine:D. You should try them.

thats not the point (bad pun) I don't like "fake" things on a blade just to look cool, makes me feel it's more of a SLO). I would be less worried if it didn't have the fake hamon.

thats not the point (bad pun) I don't like "fake" things on a blade just to look cool, makes me feel it's more of a SLO). I would be less worried if it didn't have the fake hamon.

Thats a good way to go about things so I see your point. Do you have any blades to show. I cant wait to get my Cheness and do some cutting with that too. Whats your blade of choice?

Bailey Bradshaw Katana

Dan Maragni O-tanto

Kevin Cashen Small Sword

Your looking at about $10,000 worth of swords there...what JParanee posted was closer to about $50,000 and neither one of us particularly considers that high end(although the Cashen is an heirloom to specifically be kept within the family). I write this as fact, not to be all smooty. Good equipment costs a chunk of change....you can shoot a Charter Arms revolver, but it is simply never going to perform as well, look as good, or hold value as consistently as a Smith & Wesson, to offer up a firearm metaphor.

Me cutting, for practice and fun.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Nice collection Kohai999!

That Kevin Cashern smallsword is amazing and certainly a treasure and heirloom.

JParanee's swords are also magnificent.

Cheers

Jase

STeven all are fantastic and I never saw your O Tanto . I like it very much

Thanks for posting

STeven,

Please tell me that picture of you cutting was taken at a dojo, and that you don't have a dedicated practice area that nice in your house.

If you do, you are worthy of much envy my friend!:D

Chuck

I wouldn't trust a sword with a fake hamon to be very durable.

And I'm not trying to be rude, or insult your collection.

Actually alot of through hardened swords that are considered to be decent cutters have a fake hamon. It is really only a marketing ploy, or an attempt to make it resemble a differentially hardened katana. Purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the integrity of the sword.

I know where you are coming from with it being hokey, fakey, put on to sell swords, I personally don't care for alot of the etched or wire brushed hamons. Just sell the sword for what it is.

Of course we are talking about the very low end of functional Katanas, some examples that have been posted in this thread are above even the suspicion of a fake hamon.

If anyone thinks that some of the prices thrown out are BS, do a little searching and you will be amazed.

Chuck

STeven,

Please tell me that picture of you cutting was taken at a dojo, and that you don't have a dedicated practice area that nice in your house.

If you do, you are worthy of much envy my friend!:D

Chuck

That's the dojo.:D I don't get dressed up to cut at home...just sweats in the morning, outside on a weekend usually.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Actually alot of through hardened swords that are considered to be decent cutters have a fake hamon. It is really only a marketing ploy, or an attempt to make it resemble a differentially hardened katana. Purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the integrity of the sword.

I know where you are coming from with it being hokey, fakey, put on to sell swords, I personally don't care for alot of the etched or wire brushed hamons. Just sell the sword for what it is.

Of course we are talking about the very low end of functional Katanas, some examples that have been posted in this thread are above even the suspicion of a fake hamon.

If anyone thinks that some of the prices thrown out are BS, do a little searching and you will be amazed.

Chuck

Thank you. 'Bout time someone cleared it up. Fake hamons are not my cup of tea either, actually, but I am not going to be a jerk and look down on them. A wire brushed hamon does not necessarily condemn a blade to being an SLO by any means.

Was I being a jerk ? I didn't need anything "cleared up", I have a pretty good understanding of heat treating. I made sure to say I was not trying to insult your collection and was just stating my opinion. good greif

My internet is currently down at home, but I have a few Iaito- 1 custom I hade made while in Japan.

I also have a WWII gunto , signed and made in 1943.

Last edited:
Does anyone make a "high end" sword that isn't a Katana or doesn't resemble a Katana?

Was I being a jerk ? I didn't need anything "cleared up", I have a pretty good understanding of heat treating. I made sure to say I was not trying to insult your collection and was just stating my opinion. good greif

My internet is currently down at home, but I have a few Iaito- 1 custom I hade made while in Japan.

I also have a WWII gunto , signed and made in 1943.

Its all good brother. You are not a jerk, and I take your opinion just as that, your opinion. Do you have any pics of the gunto? I love WWII japanese swords.

Very nice sword Steven....the hollows look pretty deep.

I've been wanting to go here since I found it doind family research a few yars ago:
http://www.simt.co.uk/shepherd/index.html
http://www.tilthammer.com/gallery/set2.html

I don't own it Sean, the only western sword I have besides the Cashen is a Museum Replicas Pirate Cutlass..it's mostly crappy(uncomfortable to grip, way blade heavy, prone to rust even with care) but it looks cool, and it is sharp, just cut some 1 1/2" thick walled green bamboo with it, cut cleanly, no apparent edge rolling or chipping.

....and it's a pirate cutlass.:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Back