Spur some discussion with your pics

I don't own it Sean, the only western sword I have besides the Cashen is a Museum Replicas Pirate Cutlass..it's mostly crappy(uncomfortable to grip, way blade heavy, prone to rust even with care) but it looks cool, and it is sharp, just cut some 1 1/2" thick walled green bamboo with it, cut cleanly, no apparent edge rolling or chipping.

....and it's a pirate cutlass.:D

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

LOL..speakin of which, I just got this in the mail

voc.jpg

I guess what I meant was, doing quick math, it seems that swords neither of you considers "high end" run average between five to ten thousand dollars. I've seen some Japanese swords that are close to twenty thousand.

I've never seen a Western blade nearly that expensive. Even the one you linked was only thirty five hundred (I use the term "only" very loosely.). So at what price point do you stop paying for the blade and start paying for the ornamentation (which truly seems to be the major visible difference)? Or is it simply that Japanese swords are much more difficult to produce accurately and properly?

If I wanted a Falchion (spelling?) forged by a master smith the same way a Katana is forged would the price shoot up into the five plus thousand dollar range? Or would it still be a one thousand dollar piece?

Kohai999 said:
Your looking at about $10,000 (for 3 swords?) worth of swords there...what JParanee posted was closer to about $50,000 (for 6 swords?) and neither one of us particularly considers that high end(although the Cashen is an heirloom to specifically be kept within the family).

I guess what I meant was, doing quick math, it seems that swords neither of you considers "high end" run average between five to ten thousand dollars. I've seen some Japanese swords that are close to twenty thousand.

I've never seen a Western blade nearly that expensive. Even the one you linked was only thirty five hundred (I use the term "only" very loosely.). So at what price point do you stop paying for the blade and start paying for the ornamentation (which truly seems to be the major visible difference)? Or is it simply that Japanese swords are much more difficult to produce accurately and properly?

If I wanted a Falchion (spelling?) forged by a master smith the same way a Katana is forged would the price shoot up into the five plus thousand dollar range? Or would it still be a one thousand dollar piece?

if I'm not mistaken, this is a rapier made by Kevin Cashen

http://www.angelic.org/highlander/swordmakers/cashen-rapier.jpg

yours for $7000

here's a good article for you:

http://www.angelic.org/highlander/swordmakers/cashen-customprices.html

Duzzy, I have personally handled Japanese swords ranging in price from $6,000 to $150,000. Western made Japanese style swords are a comparative bargain for many reasons. I am working something up that may be useful.

The range of cost for a true Japanese blade is as varied as the day is long for a variety of reasons....look up Muramasa and Masamune for some background, and it just gets even more twisted than that.

Two words on the Falchion::-::Vince Evans.....be prepared for a stiff, yet not unreasonable cost.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Was I being a jerk ? I didn't need anything "cleared up", I have a pretty good understanding of heat treating. I made sure to say I was not trying to insult your collection and was just stating my opinion. good greif

My internet is currently down at home, but I have a few Iaito- 1 custom I hade made while in Japan.

I also have a WWII gunto , signed and made in 1943.

I apologize for any slight that you may have taken from my post. I do not consider you to be a jerk.

My post was made to clarify for others that may have been reading the thread that they should not dismiss a low end user Kat out of hand solely for having a fake hamon.

Not all looking in on this thread posess a knowledge of metallurgy and heat treatment on what would be considered a REAL sword. I merely saw a chance to post some comments for the lesser informed that may or may not help them consider a purchase. Someone considering a lower end user Kat could be bewildered by the myriad of offerings, and it would be a shame if someone turned away from an interest in swords due to believing that all the low end offerings are junk.

I even agreed with your stance on the applied hamon issue. To me it is an unnecessary add on. While it serves to make the blade resemble a diferentially hardened Kat, it is merely cosmetic and is superfluous.

I look forward to pics of your blades when you can post them.

Chuck

I'd be curious to know whether there was a problem with the heat treat, or whether they ever heat treated the tang at all. (did they ever tell you?)

Right now we're mainly focusing on German Longsword, after Ringeck, some of the "Goliath" manuscript, and a little bit with J. Meyer, but one of the guys has done some work with I.33 (with Scott), and someday I hope to branch out into messer as well. How 'bout you?

I honestly have no idea if they heat treat their tangs. I always just assumed they did.

Anyway, I dabble in a bit of everything. Mostly longsword and dagger and I get as much as I can from any source that I can!

Sounds cool, Armadew. Are you a memeber of any of the fencing groups over there? Our club is based in Saint Louis, but there's only a few guys who attend regularly. We may have to make a point of attending one of the gatherings/workshops one of these days.

While we're sharing pictures, here's a sword by Peter Johnsson that I do not own, but wish I did!

6-peter-johnsson.jpg

And here's a few Katana that were brought back from Japan by my great Uncle after the war. They are both traditionally made. One for the war by Masa Yuki, and the longer one lost its signature from shortening, but several guys on sword forums postulate that it could possibly be as old as the Nanbokucho period. (mid to late 1300's)

attachment.php

I tried to do something creative with my photo :D
From top to bottom: clay tempered katana, folded steel wakizashi, Paul Chen Practical Katana and Paul Chen Hollyhock Tanto.

4010694517_23274db142_o.jpg

Here are a few.

DSCF0069b.jpg

DSCF0077b.jpg

689_wak_kanetsugu_blade1b.jpg

In order from left to right

Albion Laird with light brown grip
Albion Munich with ox blood grip
Albion Mercenary with brown grip
Kris Cutlery Dao
Last Legend MK1
Cold Steel 1830 saber
Kris Cutlery Gladius
Kris Cutlery Pinuti
Kanetsugu ko-wakizashi

Duzzy, I have personally handled Japanese swords ranging in price from $6,000 to $150,000. Western made Japanese style swords are a comparative bargain for many reasons. I am working something up that may be useful.

The range of cost for a true Japanese blade is as varied as the day is long for a variety of reasons....look up Muramasa and Masamune for some background, and it just gets even more twisted than that.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

who, today, are some reputable Japanese sword makers STeven?

who, today, are some reputable Japanese sword makers STeven?

Japanese makers, as in Japan? The list is fairly long, but the Yoshihara clan really does some superb work....I am partial to the Nambochuko style of blade.
http://www.samuraisword.com/nihontodisplay/other/Yoshindo/index.htm

In the US...Howard Clark gets an overwhelming vote for making a very, very tough and sweet handling sword

http://www.mvforge.com/BE'sA.html

I DO not own any Yoshihara clan swords, they are very expensive. I DO own a 1086M o-wakizashi and have a nice tanto(thanks Joe:D) being mounted, by Mr. Clark....they perform wonderfully.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back