Spyderco 2020 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Running them as dealer exclusives also has the potential to make the knives more collectible, which itself can increase demand.

I wonder how different steel offerings in these alternative blade styles will be handled in the future.

I don't think "collectibility" of a particular knife is something that Spyderco cares about one way or the other. Demand (as in terms of "who will buy it") does matter but that's irrelevant if a dealer is paying for an "exclusive" line that they have to pay for and sell themself.

As for steels, I think Spyderco has been more innovative and experimental than most other mfgers in trying different steels but, again, it comes down to profitability and Spyderco has been hesitant in investing too much in "premium" steels which people rave about but then complain they cost too much - which is why we still see them selling (very well, it seems) VG10, S30V and 8Cr13Mov blades.

You may want to see M390 and other such steel on Spydercos but, for me, it's unnecessary and, in the case of Spyderco, actually makes the knives less attractive to me because I don't like they way that Spyderco so often "matches" it's scale color to indicate the type of steel used.

I mainly like my scales in black ONLY and I don't want any S110V blue, Rex45 orange, H1 Salt Yellow, ZDP189 - Green or M390 Red, which is why I've NEVER bought any Spydercos w/any other than black scales, except for ones made w/Ti, S/S and CF frames/scales.

Last edited:
I like my scales in black ONLY and I don't want any S110V blue, Rex45 orange, H1 Salt Yellow, ZDP189 - Green or M390 Red, which is why I've NEVER bought any Spydercos w/any other than black scales, except for ones made w/Ti, S/S and CF frames/scales.

There are some steels where I'd accept the handle in any color, no matter how ridiculous, simply because I'm going to swap the scales.

There are some steels where I'd accept the handle in any color, no matter how ridiculous, simply because I'm going to swap the scales.

That's too much trouble to me and contrary to my preference to leave a knife "stock" whenever possible. The blade steel also irrelevant to me because I seldom use any knife that I collect and those I do use (almost exclusively in the kitchen) are almost all just plain carbon steel.

I did buy a Cold Steel AD-15 w/its green scales dyed black but now regret it because they have since come out w/an all black version of the knife, which reminds me. I need to sell the one I've got and buy one all in black. This also reminds me that I've got a lot of other knives and other stuff that I want to sell but have just been too lazy to post here and/or on EB.

It's not like I've got "better" things to do but I always have a hard time getting "rid of stuff" -- buying the stuff is easy, but getting rid of the stuff is another matter.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I stopped buying Emerson’s because they only came in black and always 154 CM steel. Good knives but boring.

I love Spyderco because of their willingness to use all sorts of steel, and use many colors of handle covers.

I stopped buying Emerson’s because they only came in black and always 154 CM steel. Good knives but boring.

I love Spyderco because of their willingness to use all sorts of steel, and use many colors of handle covers.

Everyone has their own preferences.

So do you feel left out because the specialty steels do not come in black covers? Or you don’t feel the need to buy anything other than S30V and other standards?

I realize it is a big expense to buy a an orange Rex 45 and then buy additional black scales to make it your color, but that is always an option. Also someone would probably buy the orange scales from you to put on an S30V knife just to be different. Maybe you just need to find a G10 swapping pal.

So do you feel left out because the specialty steels do not come in black covers? Or you don’t feel the need to buy anything other than S30V and other standards?

I realize it is a big expense to buy a an orange Rex 45 and then buy additional black scales to make it your color, but that is always an option. Also someone would probably buy the orange scales from you to put on an S30V knife just to be different. Maybe you just need to find a G10 swapping pal.

Left out? Hardly.

I own over 130 Spydercos of all types ( mostly GIN, VG, S30V and 8CR13Mov); just no premium steels w/MATCHING colored scales. However, I do own an H1 Jumpmaster in black and a Automony2 w/black scales and a Ti SpydieChef, both w/LC200N blades.

I also own a couple of Mules in 20CV and LC200N which I scaled in black and brown in order to distinguish them. I also own a brown scaled Nilakka in S30V; that's the way it was designed and looks "right" light that. So, brown is ok w/me too when it makes sense (to me) to have a different colored handled. I just don't like the idea making knifes w/a certain steel type w/the same scale cover.

On the other hand, I own over 200 other knives of all types, including many w/premium steels (mostly M390 but others as well); almost all w/black handles/scales. So, I'm all good, thank-you. ;)

BTW, I also own S90V Drunken w/CF scales and blue hardware which is very tastefully designed, despite complaints about the clip, as well as the S90V integral framed Ti Nirvana; had a S90V Paysan but sold it because I thought that it looked "boring" in comparison w/the Nirvana. Oh, and I also own a Michael Draper w/the etched blue spiderweb patterned Ti scales that I think is simply gorgeous, which "only" comes w/VG10 steel but that's entirely irrelevant to me. There are other Spydercos that I could name but I think you should get the point by now.

So, do I feel "left out?" Again, as I said above, "hardly." :)

Last edited:
I like my scales in black ONLY and I don't want any S110V blue, Rex45 orange, H1 Salt Yellow, ZDP189 - Green or M390 Red, which is why I've NEVER bought any Spydercos w/any other than black scales, except for ones made w/Ti, S/S and CF frames/scales.

I bought a franken-Manix 2 many years ago-black G10 scales with M4 blade. I don't know the history behind it, I didn't care what color the scales were, I wanted it because it was M4. I use it as a work knife and it is now well used with well-darkened blade.

i5BNOdR_d.jpg

Upcoming ParaMilitary2 Emerson Wave CPM-S30V Black G-10 C81GPW2 BladeOps (USA) with pre-order now and shipping on May 4, 2020 for $161.00.

AJTYtbU_d.jpg

Sometimes I buy a sprint as “capital” for future knives that I want, kind of like cigarettes in prison, so I’m told. Like how about a st nick shaman for a cruwear micarta ( example only ). Does anyone else.

Reactions: KP
Upcoming ParaMilitary2 Emerson Wave CPM-S30V Black G-10 C81GPW2 BladeOps (USA) with pre-order now and shipping on May 4, 2020 for $161.00.

AJTYtbU_d.jpg

Just ordered mine, also Blade Ops is a couple miles down the road from the house here. Can't wait to check this one out!

These were gone in under 5 minutes. One of the quickest I've seen for a planned drop of a Para 3, the other being the 4V drop from St. Nicks a few years ago.

These were gone in under 5 minutes. One of the quickest I've seen for a planned drop of a Para 3, the other being the 4V drop from St. Nicks a few years ago.

I thought this would've been a larger order considering the popularity of the combination. The site worked flawlessly and I especially liked the verification step during checkout. Already received my shipping notification, Thanks for the stellar service Knifeworks!

I don't think "collectibility" of a particular knife is something that Spyderco cares about one way or the other. Demand (as in terms of "who will buy it") does matter but that's irrelevant if a dealer is paying for an "exclusive" line that they have to pay for an sell themself.

As for steels, I think Spyderco has been more innovative and experimental than most other mfgers in trying different steels but, again, it comes down to profitability and Spyderco has been hesitant in investing too much in "premium" steels which people rave about but then complain they cost too much - which is why we still see them selling (very well, it seems) VG10, S30V and 8Cr13Mov blades.

You may want to see M390 and other such steel on Spydercos but, for me, it's unnecessary and, in the case of Spyderco, actually makes the knives less attractive to me because I don't like they way that Spyderco changes it's scale color to indicate the type of steel used.

As far as steels go i dont think theres any other manufacturer thats utilizing the full range of available steel types, nor are any others developing their own steels. Im only seeing custom/semi custom makers using steels like cruwear and whatnot...for a few-hundred price tag.

The marketing here is genius. Rather than making 10,000 and letting home sell in a calm fashion, they make them 500-1200 (and some far more) at a time and get the beanie baby frenzy going, and then can just make more whenever they want - nothing is limited.. I get why kids go for this but can't say that I would have predicted that so many adults play along. I have plenty of sprints myself so I'm just as guilty as anyone...just funny.

AJTYtbU_d.jpg

Not sure what to think about this one, the wave opener works really well but the thick/steep grind it requires ruins the slicing performance for the Delica and Endura...not sure what to think here.

I thought this would've been a larger order considering the popularity of the combination. The site worked flawlessly and I especially liked the verification step during checkout. Already received my shipping notification, Thanks for the stellar service Knifeworks!

This order may have been subject to the 600 limit that older orders were limited to (that I can remember). Either way, I’m glad I was able to get one of these with the same experience as you with the website and tracking info.

The marketing here is genius. Rather than making 10,000 and letting home sell in a calm fashion, they make them 500-1200 (and some far more) at a time and get the beanie baby frenzy going, and then can just make more whenever they want - nothing is limited.. I get why kids go for this but can't say that I would have predicted that so many adults play along. I have plenty of sprints myself so I'm just as guilty as anyone...just funny.
Yeah, society has made FOMO a real thing. I don’t participate in many drops like this, but I got rid of my PM2 in 204p from Knifeworks and regretted it so this was the next best thing.

Back