1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Mr Blonde, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Iamthejellyfish

Iamthejellyfish

Jan 23, 2016
    How’d that feel in your left hand? I’m worried that a tight lefty grip will press the button and release the lock.

2. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thank you for your work in this thread Mr Blonde. These pics really highlight how wonderful of a line up Sypderco has put together this year.

3. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    If one thing was hard for me to do after last year’s meet, it was not being able to share photos and info of my favorite design at the 2017 meet. It’s called the Respect now, which is an awesome name for an awesome blade. Mind you, this production sample still has a prototyped polymer handle, it will look and function better with the actual contoured G10 handle. I like the blend of old-school design and new school materials. I like bowies for their historical background and visual design. I might just try to attack our pile of cardboard for recycling with this knife though, just to get some actual use out of this knife. My suburban environment and lack of bushcrafting hobby doesn’t really demand a knife like this. But still, I will get me some respect for sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Overall Length: 33,4 cm / 13.15 inches
    Blade Length: 20,2 cm / 7.49 inches
    Blade Thickness: 6 mm / 0.30 inches
    Weight: 354 grams / 12.5 ounces

4. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    I’ll admit I never really took to the first series of all-steel smaller clipitools. They were heavy for their size and offered few tools. I might have to adjust that opinion for this design. The ClipiTool feels like a regular EDC folder, but it also happens to have a few extra tools to go with it. The blade is just like any other Spyderco we like; full flat grind, forefinger choil, proper G-10, properly engaging linerlock etc.. The tools also open one-handed. The rescue hook, like the blade, is supported by a linerlock. The overall package is very thin, making it more of an EDC knife/tool combo. I hope this concept does well for Spyderco, with further development I’m hoping to see lefty-friendly tool/blade opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Blade - Overall Length: 20,3 cm / 8.01 inches
    Blade - Length: 9,2 cm / 3.61 inches
    Blade - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Rescue Hook - Overall Length: 16,2 cm / 6.36 inches
    Rescue Hook - Length: 5 cm / 1.96 inches
    Rescue Hook - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Screwdriver - Overall Length: 14 cm / 5.50 inches
    Screwdriver - Length: 2,8 cm / 1.10 inches
    Screwdriver - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Weight: 120 grams / 4.2 ounces

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    JimMD likes this.
  5. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    The ClipiTool Standard is very similar to the ClipiTool Rescue, but with a different tool selection. The tools on this variant don’t lock, but the ‘slipit-action’ was solid. The tools are vey easy to access, a lot easier than many other pocket tools out there. It should be priced well too. If I recall correctly, it should have an MSRP below $100.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications

Blade - Overall Length: 20,1 cm / 7.9 inches
    Blade - Length: 8,9 cm / 3.5 inches
    Blade - Thickness: 2.4 mm / 0.94 inches

Can Opener - Overall Length: 14,8 cm / 5.83 inches
    Can Opener - Length: 3,6 cm / 1.43 inches
    Can Opener - Thickness: 2,4 mm / 0.94 inches

Bottle Opener - Overall Length: 14,9 cm / 5.85 inches
    Bottle Opener - Length: 3,7 cm / 1.45 inches
    Bottle Opener - Thickness: 2.4 mm / 0.94 inches

Weight: 119 grams / 4.2 ounces

6. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    Time for the last new knife post in my Spyderco Amsterdam Meet Report 2018! It’s always very cool to see the Spyderco Amsterdam Meets creating a little buzz for new Spyderco designs. But to have the meets help create a new Spyderco collaboration, now that’s a different type of cool. I’m proud to finally show these images of a fellow Dutchman and knife designer, the Zoomer!

I had to do a double take at the smooth handle, amazing how they can machine G-10 this smooth and this consistently. Equally impressive was the hamaguri grind with zero edge though. This knife will be shipped with an elaborate sheath with accessory pockets and a dangling loop for carry. It will be quite the package!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Overall Length: 25,4 cm / 10 inches
    Blade Length: 13,2 cm / 5.20 inches
    Blade Thickness: 4 mm / 0.156 inches
    Weight: 272 grams / 9.6 ounces

Mo2 and Klutz like this.
  7. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    That was all folks, thanks for watching! I might pick up some more info when I'm at the IWA Show in Germany this weekend.

8. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Good stuff. Thanks for the sweet pics and info.

bigolegator likes this.
  9. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Thank you for all your effort here Mr Blonde, awesome thread :thumbsup:

bigolegator likes this.
  10. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Seeing as how Eric has said they are still finalizing this knife, can I humbly encourage @Sal Glesser to add some jimping to the top of the flipper tab? (I speak as someone who has had a lot of pocket time with the custom version of this knife and who has asked, in this very forum, for a Spyderco version because I love it so much.)

I asked Josh @razor-edge-knives to add just a couple of "jimps" to my custom and it turned an "A" knife into an "A+" knife. That little extra bit of purchase on the flipper makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

Lapedog likes this.
  11. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    i can't believe i missed this...
    i live half an hr away :(

12. Grizz484

Grizz484

Jan 7, 2018
    Mr. Blonde, thanks for sharing all your hard work! Much appreciated.

13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    This^

Please do this. It is an awesome suggestion! The smock is the knife I am most excited for in the new line up. (Followed by the Brouwer and Respect) But the smock is the must have.

What makes it a must have for me is actually the low profile flipper tab I have long wanted to see used in a production folder. That bit of jimping will make it even better.

Also I would like to add the button activated compression lock actually reminds me alot of the Nak-Lock featured on some Benchmades like the shori.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive

Jun 13, 2012
    Definitely want the standard clipittool. Perfect knife for tailgating/BBQ/picnic. Too bad the standard doesn’t give you option of serrations but I’ll live.

Also intrigued with the Techno 2, mantra 3 and the zoomer. Will prob end up with 2 of the 3 depending on prices/release dates

15. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Mr. Blonde - Thank You for all of your hard work, and sharing your great photographs. I see that you saved the best for last. I have been excited about the Zoomer when I first saw it. The ergonomics look great. I do wonder how the handle is attached without any fasteners. Were you able to determine how this one is attached? I would not think that epoxy would be enough.

16. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I hope there will be a Sabotage with different colors, while I dig orange in theory, it gets super dirty super quick, at least that's what happened with my other orange G10 handles knife. If not...I'll live with the orange, just to cool to pass up. :D (And I really need to go next year, I mean Amsterdam is not that far. :oops:

17. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016
    3.66 oz on that Mantra 3? Why so heavy?

18. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    It was OK, in my standard grips the button was completely out of the way. Eric did mention they will still work on the design and I think he mentioned that the button might be sitting lower in the handle/made smaller in the production version.

Iamthejellyfish likes this.
  19. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    I just got back from the IWA Show in Germany, thanks for the kind words guys!

20. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    I just got back from the IWA Show in Germany, trying to catch up on posts etc... thanks for the kind words!

bigolegator likes this.