Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

Another interesting new design was the Kevin Smock design collaboration. To me, it looked like a new take on the compression lock. A large button appeard to be connected to the locking tab that pushes away the locking tab to unlock the blade. It was very easy to operate. Eric did mention that they are still working to refine the system, so there could be some changes in the final production version.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_button.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 22 cm / 8.66 inches
Blade Length: 8,8 cm / 3.46 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 104 grams / 3.66 ounces
How’d that feel in your left hand? I’m worried that a tight lefty grip will press the button and release the lock.

Thank you for your work in this thread Mr Blonde. These pics really highlight how wonderful of a line up Sypderco has put together this year.

If one thing was hard for me to do after last year’s meet, it was not being able to share photos and info of my favorite design at the 2017 meet. It’s called the Respect now, which is an awesome name for an awesome blade. Mind you, this production sample still has a prototyped polymer handle, it will look and function better with the actual contoured G10 handle. I like the blend of old-school design and new school materials. I like bowies for their historical background and visual design. I might just try to attack our pile of cardboard for recycling with this knife though, just to get some actual use out of this knife. My suburban environment and lack of bushcrafting hobby doesn’t really demand a knife like this. But still, I will get me some respect for sure!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_sheath_front_instagram.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_steel.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_sheath_frog.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_sheath_back.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_swedge.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect_edge.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_respect-reverse.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 33,4 cm / 13.15 inches
Blade Length: 20,2 cm / 7.49 inches
Blade Thickness: 6 mm / 0.30 inches
Weight: 354 grams / 12.5 ounces

I’ll admit I never really took to the first series of all-steel smaller clipitools. They were heavy for their size and offered few tools. I might have to adjust that opinion for this design. The ClipiTool feels like a regular EDC folder, but it also happens to have a few extra tools to go with it. The blade is just like any other Spyderco we like; full flat grind, forefinger choil, proper G-10, properly engaging linerlock etc.. The tools also open one-handed. The rescue hook, like the blade, is supported by a linerlock. The overall package is very thin, making it more of an EDC knife/tool combo. I hope this concept does well for Spyderco, with further development I’m hoping to see lefty-friendly tool/blade opening.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_profile_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_serrations.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_screwdriver.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_screwdriver-closeup.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_rescuehook.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_angle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_rescuehook_closeup.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-rescue_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Blade - Overall Length: 20,3 cm / 8.01 inches
Blade - Length: 9,2 cm / 3.61 inches
Blade - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Rescue Hook - Overall Length: 16,2 cm / 6.36 inches
Rescue Hook - Length: 5 cm / 1.96 inches
Rescue Hook - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Screwdriver - Overall Length: 14 cm / 5.50 inches
Screwdriver - Length: 2,8 cm / 1.10 inches
Screwdriver - Thickness: 2,5 mm / 0.98 inches

Weight: 120 grams / 4.2 ounces

Last edited:
The ClipiTool Standard is very similar to the ClipiTool Rescue, but with a different tool selection. The tools on this variant don’t lock, but the ‘slipit-action’ was solid. The tools are vey easy to access, a lot easier than many other pocket tools out there. It should be priced well too. If I recall correctly, it should have an MSRP below $100.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_screwdriver.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_canopener.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_clipitool-standard_blade_clipside.jpg

Specifications

Blade - Overall Length: 20,1 cm / 7.9 inches
Blade - Length: 8,9 cm / 3.5 inches
Blade - Thickness: 2.4 mm / 0.94 inches

Can Opener - Overall Length: 14,8 cm / 5.83 inches
Can Opener - Length: 3,6 cm / 1.43 inches
Can Opener - Thickness: 2,4 mm / 0.94 inches

Bottle Opener - Overall Length: 14,9 cm / 5.85 inches
Bottle Opener - Length: 3,7 cm / 1.45 inches
Bottle Opener - Thickness: 2.4 mm / 0.94 inches

Weight: 119 grams / 4.2 ounces

Time for the last new knife post in my Spyderco Amsterdam Meet Report 2018! It’s always very cool to see the Spyderco Amsterdam Meets creating a little buzz for new Spyderco designs. But to have the meets help create a new Spyderco collaboration, now that’s a different type of cool. I’m proud to finally show these images of a fellow Dutchman and knife designer, the Zoomer!

I had to do a double take at the smooth handle, amazing how they can machine G-10 this smooth and this consistently. Equally impressive was the hamaguri grind with zero edge though. This knife will be shipped with an elaborate sheath with accessory pockets and a dangling loop for carry. It will be quite the package!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_spine_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_maker.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_lanyard.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_handle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_steel.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_zoomer_reverse.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 25,4 cm / 10 inches
Blade Length: 13,2 cm / 5.20 inches
Blade Thickness: 4 mm / 0.156 inches
Weight: 272 grams / 9.6 ounces

Another interesting new design was the Kevin Smock design collaboration. To me, it looked like a new take on the compression lock. A large button appeard to be connected to the locking tab that pushes away the locking tab to unlock the blade. It was very easy to operate. Eric did mention that they are still working to refine the system, so there could be some changes in the final production version.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_closed.jpg
Seeing as how Eric has said they are still finalizing this knife, can I humbly encourage @Sal Glesser to add some jimping to the top of the flipper tab? (I speak as someone who has had a lot of pocket time with the custom version of this knife and who has asked, in this very forum, for a Spyderco version because I love it so much.)

I asked Josh @razor-edge-knives to add just a couple of "jimps" to my custom and it turned an "A" knife into an "A+" knife. That little extra bit of purchase on the flipper makes a big difference.

IMG_20180310_163524.jpg

Seeing as how Eric has said they are still finalizing this knife, can I humbly encourage @Sal Glesser to add some jimping to the top of the flipper tab? (I speak as someone who has had a lot of pocket time with the custom version of this knife and who has asked, in this very forum, for a Spyderco version because I love it so much.)

I asked Josh @razor-edge-knives to add just a couple of "jimps" to my custom and it turned an "A" knife into an "A+" knife. That little extra bit of purchase on the flipper makes a big difference.

IMG_20180310_163524.jpg

This^

Please do this. It is an awesome suggestion! The smock is the knife I am most excited for in the new line up. (Followed by the Brouwer and Respect) But the smock is the must have.

What makes it a must have for me is actually the low profile flipper tab I have long wanted to see used in a production folder. That bit of jimping will make it even better.

Also I would like to add the button activated compression lock actually reminds me alot of the Nak-Lock featured on some Benchmades like the shori.

naklok.gif

IMG_0506.jpg

Definitely want the standard clipittool. Perfect knife for tailgating/BBQ/picnic. Too bad the standard doesn’t give you option of serrations but I’ll live.

Also intrigued with the Techno 2, mantra 3 and the zoomer. Will prob end up with 2 of the 3 depending on prices/release dates

Mr. Blonde - Thank You for all of your hard work, and sharing your great photographs. I see that you saved the best for last. I have been excited about the Zoomer when I first saw it. The ergonomics look great. I do wonder how the handle is attached without any fasteners. Were you able to determine how this one is attached? I would not think that epoxy would be enough.

I hope there will be a Sabotage with different colors, while I dig orange in theory, it gets super dirty super quick, at least that's what happened with my other orange G10 handles knife. If not...I'll live with the orange, just to cool to pass up. :D (And I really need to go next year, I mean Amsterdam is not that far. :oops:

How’d that feel in your left hand? I’m worried that a tight lefty grip will press the button and release the lock.

It was OK, in my standard grips the button was completely out of the way. Eric did mention they will still work on the design and I think he mentioned that the button might be sitting lower in the handle/made smaller in the production version.

Back