Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

It was OK, in my standard grips the button was completely out of the way. Eric did mention they will still work on the design and I think he mentioned that the button might be sitting lower in the handle/made smaller in the production version.
Thanks that’s good to know. I love the look of it but that is my main worry about buying it without feeling it myself. I would definitely like the smaller and moved button concept.

Thank you for the write-up, Mr Blonde.

I think the one knife in this batch I am most interested in is the Sabotage. Those are some meaty liners on that baby Machete

A little dessert from the Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018! Just before the meet started, I had the opportunity to take a few close-up videos of some of the knives I had photographed for my other posts. I figure these clips will offer a better impression of the knives' sizes and how they fit the hand. The labels with numbers on the blades help attendees give feedback on these designs, on special cards that were collected at the end of the meet.

Please note, these are all production samples and I have no information on prices or availability.

This video includes, from start to finish:
1) Paysan, Peter Rassenti design
2) Brouwer, Jerry Brouwer design
3) Respect, Spyderco design
4) Nati Amor, Nati Amor design
5) Lil' Native Backlock, Spyderco design
6) Mantra 3, Spyderco design
7) Amalgam, Brian Lai design
8) Reinhold Rhino, Michael Reinhold design
9) Zoomer, Thomas Zoomer design
10) Parata, Paul Alexander design
11) Hanan,Brad Southard design
12) Techno 2, Marcin Slysz design

Thanks for watching!

Another interesting new design was the Kevin Smock design collaboration. To me, it looked like a new take on the compression lock. A large button appeard to be connected to the locking tab that pushes away the locking tab to unlock the blade. It was very easy to operate. Eric did mention that they are still working to refine the system, so there could be some changes in the final production version.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_button.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_smock_clipside.jpg

Specifications
Overall Length: 22 cm / 8.66 inches
Blade Length: 8,8 cm / 3.46 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 104 grams / 3.66 ounces
I hope that Spyderco doesn't let the Smock 23 go into production with that butt-ugly clip! This knife is begging to have a wire clip! Why cover up the three hole design, when you could use the highly praised wire clip that would allow the holes to be seen?

Man, I really like the lines on the Respect, but the bolts make the handle kind of fugly. It would fix half the issue to just black oxide them I think.

Man, I really like the lines on the Respect, but the bolts make the handle kind of fugly. It would fix half the issue to just black oxide them I think.

Yeah, that's a plastic prototype handle. I'm interested in seeing what the production G-10 handle looks like when the Respect becomes available. I suspect it will look a lot nicer.

I personally don't feel the need for removable handle scales on this knife, but they aren't a deal breaker for me.

I'm trying to control my excitement because it will probably be several months before we see it!

Last edited:
Back