Spyderco CPM M4 Maintenance?

PachaasPaisaa

BANNED
Any tips from the spyderco gurus (maybe Sal himself? :D) about the best way to maintain their M4 steel

i am getting one of the M4 millies and i want to edc it but its going to be wet and cold for the next few months where i am so i want to make sure there is minimal to no corrosion

thanks!

:thumbup:

Any tips from the spyderco gurus (maybe Sal himself? :D) about the best way to maintain their M4 steel

i am getting one of the M4 millies and i want to edc it but its going to be wet and cold for the next few months where i am so i want to make sure there is minimal to no corrosion

thanks!

:thumbup:

If you won't be cutting/slicing food, try either Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide or Boeshield. Both leave behind a slightly waxy residue that is very good at protecting from corrosion.

is there any lubricant that would be food safe?

being that i will edc it, i cannot say for certain that i would not use it to cut food packets or meat etc

PSU is correct, Mineral oil would be my choice if food prep is in the equation.

m4 is more rust resistant then say 1095. just keep it dry and wipe it down every now and then and u should be fine.

Fwiw Gayle Bradley has recommended silicon spray for use with M4 over on the Spyderco forums. I'm not too sure how safe that is around food though...

Bo

My work knife is m4 and it helps me in all kinds of dirty plumbing and hvac work. I never put any lubricant on the blade on purpose. :D I have a small amount of patina on the blade but never any rust. I don't think m4 is as prone to rust as a lot of people tend to say.

That said I probably wouldn't swim in the ocean with it every day!

Made the mistake of leaving my mule on the TV table for a day after cutting an apple to discover stains and two tiny rust pits.Would of helped to have know more about this steel.

Fwiw Gayle Bradley has recommended silicon spray for use with M4 over on the Spyderco forums. I'm not too sure how safe that is around food though...

Bo

It's not... :( Mineral oil works. Olive oil or other vegetable oil also works.

I have used Mineral Oil on my M4 Mule since it was recieved from Golden. I do not have any visible rust or patina on it. I am using Mineral Oil on my M4 Military as well. I don't oil either knife constantly. Just wipe clean when using it and when you put it away wipe a little oil on the blade. Works for me so far. But I do not live in a overy humid area or near salt water.

Klever Ballistol is non-toxic. www.ballistol.de

I have used and have had great results with Ballistol. But...

...what I really want to know is...

...they claim you can ingest it and that it will have good effects on your GI system...

...is there anyone in the audience who's actually swallowed this stuff??? :eek: :D :barf: :foot:

(BTW, I'm not questioning that it's non-toxic...but it does have a certain odor and I don't think I care to swallow this stuff!)

thanks for all the advice guys

let me be more specific as it probably made it seem like i was enduring typhoons, hurricanes and major flooding during monsoon season which is not the case

i live in southern california, but i will be frequenting the bay area within the next few months so im assuming that the rains will be moderate to heavy

anyone know anything about hemp oil?

thanks for all the advice guys

let me be more specific as it probably made it seem like i was enduring typhoons, hurricanes and major flooding during monsoon season which is not the case

i live in southern california, but i will be frequenting the bay area within the next few months so im assuming that the rains will be moderate to heavy

anyone know anything about hemp oil?

hemp oil? don't support the hippies!

Back