1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco CPM M4 Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by PachaasPaisaa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. KarlMaldensNose

KarlMaldensNose

Feb 3, 2009
    +1 Yeah, it's onlt relevant with knives in longterm storage/neglect.

I don't use mineral oil anyore b/c of it getting gummy on me. Well, maybe not gummy, but it definately thickens.

I always see that choji oil for sale with sword stuff. What's it made from?

2. vvk

vvk

Feb 16, 2005
  3. proguide

proguide

Mar 26, 2004
    min oil

4. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
  5. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Choji oil is a mix of mineral and clove oil. I think.

6. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    Fluid Film. Food safe and very effective.

[​IMG]

7. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    ??? The Bay Area gets about the same rainfall as southern california. Hell, SoCal has had a TON more rain than the bay area so far, we've just had a couple days of light rain here and there.

Unless maybe you're in the more Santa Cruz areas....

Never had a problem with rust here, even on 1095 which will rust/patina MUCH faster than CPM M4. But I use Mineral Oil. Odorless/tasteless, cheap, etc... :p Keep them dry, and wipe them down after use. wipe them down with an oil rag before bed. done.

8. Buffalohump

Buffalohump

Sep 7, 2006
    Yeah, I must admit I havent felt the urge to test its bowel clearing properties but I do know it is available in capsule form so I guess there must be something in it! I just use my knives to cut food quite a bit so I always use it just to be safe. I also use Break-Free and Tuf-Glide for pivot areas and WD-40 to clean G10 but Ballistol gets used on the blades. ;)

Steven R Gerard likes this.
  9. ctk123

ctk123

Feb 1, 2009
    I typically wipe my EDC (the m4 millie right now) down with tuf cloth at night.

well, I skipped last night, was out side in the rain a bit this morning, and had light rust dusting on one side of the blade!! I was pretty worried, but did some research, and some comet on a tooth brush took care of everything, and didn't leave any scratches or anything!

A close call, but it's a good lesson for me to take extra care of this m4 steel.