Spyderco Delica w/profile MODIFICATION...

On the "all carbon fiber" above, is the backspacer cf, too?

Yes... it's smooth and flush... but doesn't show up well in the one pic I took...
fYjgIOj.jpg

A recent request came in to slightly alter the butt of the Lil'Para to more resemble the Dragonfly 2's. The requester desired that flowing line of the DF2 butt profile and closed blade be brought to the larger Delica/Lil'Para... with a secondary want of reducing butt pocket protrusion while employing a deep carry pocket clip. The attached vector drawing and CAD renders are the result...

A prototype machining will follow shortly...
48bJYtg.jpg

mG1zAPc.jpg

6cfUa8s.jpg

E08eTod.jpg

I recently broke my left elbow, left wrist and also tore ligaments in the wrist. The recovery and healing is going more slowly than I'd like... with a prognosis of several months yet for full recovery. Lots of physical rehab with more to look forward to. Actually I do not look forward to those session as they are torturous. I just got out of the wrist cast last Thursday and I have zero strength and very little ability to move my wrist. Ligaments have no vascular supply and are very slow to heal so I'm told.

I need to regain sufficient strength and dexterity to have the ability to tighten and loosen the spindle collet for changing bits. That's my short term goal. It's going to be a week to week deal for just when I will be able to accomplish that. I have a couple of jobs on the whiteboard that I have been relying on a friend to do the physical stuff so that I can machine and complete those requests. Not ideal... but it's better than total entropy.

I will certainly post when I'm back up and running and my books reopen...

Tested out the returning strength in my left wrist by machining a cherry blossom textured Delica/Lil'Para in black G10 with pink G10 liners. It's finished off with a pink G10 smooth back spacer...
Ov01au7.jpg

9P5VZ5l.jpg
nSlATuy.jpg

This one is headed to Hawaii...

The recent request to further alter the butt of the Grindmod Delica/Lil'Para to more resemble the Dragonfly 2's came from from Forum brother geemann. His desire is for the flowing line of the DF2's closed blade spine and butt profile be brought to the slightly larger Delica/Lil'Para profile.

I worked it up in CAD using my archived models of the Delica blade and Lil'Para scales profile modifying the butt to achieve that flowing line geemann desired. The resulting CAD render looked terrific. So I set about to machine the prototype.

Upon assembling the knife I was greatly disappointed to discover that my archived CAD model of the Delica blade was not entirely accurate. The blade geometry is correct however the KICK region in my CAD model is disparate to an actual blade. The KICK in my model is fuller than an actual blade's and thus in my CAD drawing portrays the closed blade position incorrectly. In reality the blade closes slightly deeper which alters the spine angle to a more acute entry. The result is that the pleasing line seen in the CAD render is not present in the actual knife. To achieve the aesthetic appearance seen in the CAD render it would require a redesign of the blade for a slightly taller KICK so that the blade stops sooner. I do not ever see that happening... OR... the back lock bar could be altered to achieve the same outcome. If I had a TIG welder and the skill I would add a small contact pimple to the bottom of the bar where the blade's kick contacts the bar when closed.

This was the CAD render but due to the inaccurate blade kick on my CAD drawing this cannot be produced...
48bJYtg.jpg

This is the actual machined result...
EUltTD6.jpg

This would be the FIX to achieve the original CAD render result as seen above...
0PnK5yC.jpg

The resulting prototype is quite attractive... just not having the cleaner lines of what was originally intended...

ilzE4mG.jpg

StJ7986.jpg

wYwjqPo.jpg

kyK8ciX.jpg

Qqafxby.jpg

sG73CPZ.jpg

NAYJsw6.jpg

z4H6dHn.jpg

Here are two profile modified Delicas... the first is one I've already shown with one exception... this design is the Delizano but with a larger head swell that embeds the blade notch I find unattractive on the Delica. LVA carbon fiber scales and back spacer.
9fPsoBz.jpg

8UL0KWX.jpg

GBuXyJZ.jpg

dxKAH0o.jpg

This next is a new profile design... the Alcantar. Like the Delizano it is a simple blade swap requiring no mods... and it too embeds the blade notch. LVA carbon fiber scales and jade G10 back spacer.
mVsgHQd.jpg

LixJfVm.jpg

vwzT2KQ.jpg

6gyonWB.jpg

Continuing to play with profile mods...

Delica/MINI Street Fighter... a slightly more aggressive design than the Alcantar and still having the buried blade notch.
LT51rp9.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoying the new ways that you have found to hide the blade-notch / back-stop! I have no idea why a visible back-stop bothers me so much when the knife is closed, but it completely ruins the aesthetics of an otherwise beautiful and functional knives. I bought a Delica knowing how it looked when closed and I thought I could get over it. There are so many positive Delica reviews, a lot of happy owners, and the specs are right in the sweet-spot for me, but I just can't get over that visible back-stop... Very glad for the options you provide and I am very excited for the Grindmod Delica/Lil'Para/Dragonfly concept that will check all of my aesthetic boxes too!

I now have a total of three profiles for a Delica/Street Fighter design. Straight scale swap design... no modifying of the liners required.

I'll machine all three as time allows this week or next. I have some ghost black G10 that I want to use to see if I like this new material.

pG2XUAZ.jpg

After machining and some critiquing of the first MINI Street Fighter design... it's just not working for me... so I've binned that one and I'm on to machining the MINI Street Fighter 2 and MINI Street Fighter 3 profiles.

Last edited:
I've machined the 2nd of the three MINI Street Fighter profiles or MSF-2 for short... ghost black G10 ... FanBlast Frag machined texture... jade smooth back spacer.

uDPSt10.jpg

0OeIVor.jpg

oPSNss8.jpg

3u6iBrz.jpg

9IWToWk.jpg

XXbnodU.jpg

lYWidvO.jpg

n67T4uS.jpg

n7BrSjA.jpg

Last edited:
I've machined the 2nd of the three MINI Street Fighter profiles and also rephotographed the MINI Street Fighter 1 with a FFG blade in lieu of the Lil'Matriarch reverse 'S' blade...

Here is the MINI Street Fighter 2 design or MSF-2 for short... ghost black G10 ... FanBlast Frag machined texture... jade smooth back spacer.

uDPSt10.jpg

0OeIVor.jpg

oPSNss8.jpg

3u6iBrz.jpg

9IWToWk.jpg

XXbnodU.jpg

lYWidvO.jpg

n67T4uS.jpg

n7BrSjA.jpg

These are the MINI Street Fighter 1 pics with the FFG blade... ghost black G10 ... CombatBlast machined texture... jade smooth back spacer.

e4hLS4e.jpg

mrGwfSu.jpg

ilXEKLI.jpg

G4qp9g1.jpg

SGOO2xJ.jpg

yaMLMzO.jpg

s7hLEUj.jpg

6HuVf9D.jpg

I'll take the MSF-2 Steve, shoot me your paypal addy...:D Really, I'd take em if you decide to put em up for sale!

Here's the last of the MINI Street Fighter profile mod designs for the Delica... the MINI Street Fighter 3.

I also intend to port the MSF-2 and MSF-3 profiles over to the ENDELA...

2fb6aoF.jpg

Dv2KFBd.jpg

6q9KExh.jpg

ZRXSf9D.jpg

n6uleNf.jpg

6aWXBje.jpg

h2wpnyT.jpg

Last edited:
Carbon fiber is always an elegant look..!

I went with LVA 1 X 1 checkerboard plain weave carbon fiber for my new Delica/MINI Street Fighter 3 (MSF-3). They came out a treat...!

2T7T1yo.jpg

ybWPK21.jpg

IouhKf7.jpg

G6W5jPT.jpg

Back