1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by RevDevil, Dec 4, 2010.

1. DMG

DMG

Dec 30, 2005
  2. DMG

DMG

Dec 30, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DMG

DMG

Dec 30, 2005
    In the second picture please look at the size of the blade pivot bolt and the bolster bolt. The torx on a real one should be the same size, no?

Also, the liner lock seems extremely thin.

The price was way low, about $60.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3c1CtXA70
    [video=youtube;9_3c1CtXA70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3c1CtXA70[/video]

5. DMG

DMG

Dec 30, 2005
    It may be fake based on that but not 100%. I am going to try to return it.

6. goddardm

goddardm

Aug 15, 2013
    I've seen plenty of 'fake' Ti Militarys with 'smooth' handles, but has anyone seen, or does anyone know of, fakes using the fluted Ti handle? There's one that keeps popping up on that auction site, fluted handle, with a partially serrated blade. I'm guessing it is some sort of "home made" configuration, due to the combo blade. But, if the handle is the 'real deal', IOW, if, for some reason, someone re-purposed a genuine fluted Ti Millie handle with a 'real' combo blade - it may make for an interesting conversation piece, for the right price.

7. ShepardCC

ShepardCC

Dec 4, 2012
    There are now fake native 5 g10 models and lava sprint run fakes

8. Artifakt

Artifakt

Jan 16, 2017
    I purchased a blue sprint run Tenacious on the bay. After reading this thread I think it may be a clone! Reason being the scale screws are rounded and not flat like on my black g10 tenacious. They look to be the same screws used for the pocket clip![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Artifakt

Artifakt

Jan 16, 2017
    Also I just noticed this......
    If my eyes aren't mistaken the blue tenacious liners are thicker than the black ones! [​IMG][​IMG]
    The steels even reflect light differently. I switched there position in my hand to show it wasn't just how they were being held.
    Any and all comments welcomed please!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  10. hoodtube12

hoodtube12

Jul 19, 2016
    Moved

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  11. Chilegod

Chilegod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I just bought this off ebay and was wondering if anyone could tell if it's authentic with these photos.
    It looked to me like the total length was 93/8"
    It weighs in at 121.5 grams or 4.28 ounces if my conversion was right.
    The knife seemed good but maybe short and maybe the handle was more worn than the blade? I just haven't been able to make a conclusion so if anyone out there can help out a fellow Spyderco fanatic It would be most appreciated. Hopefully it's the real thing. Oh and no box with it. Thank you very much, Drew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. Chilegod

Chilegod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I just bought this off ebay and was wondering if anyone could tell if it's authentic with these photos.
    It looked to me like the total length was 93/8"
    It weighs in at 121.5 grams or 4.28 ounces if my conversion was right.
    The knife seemed good but maybe short and maybe the handle was more worn than the blade? I just haven't been able to make a conclusion so if anyone out there can help out a fellow Spyderco fanatic It would be most appreciated. Hopefully it's the real thing. Oh and no box with it. Thank you very much, Drew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Stratsandaks

Stratsandaks Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 30, 2016
    I just received the same one off of eBay, if it's from the same guy, the pictures in the auction look legit but the knife he's shipping out, definitely is not.

I also noticed that the liners looked further apart.... it's because there are white nylon washers in place of the correct phosphorous bronze ones.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  14. Artifakt

Artifakt

Jan 16, 2017
    I haven't disassembled mine but I will do so when I get home. Thank you for responding even though it's because of the same BS. so yours looks the same as mine? If you would pm me the seller and in the meantime I'll look up my invoice if they are the same we should go after him together as I haven't because the time line I think has past for mine. That's because I just recently found out it is fake. I even got conformation from Spyderco it's a clone. Together though would prove it wasn't a one time accident and that he's purposely selling clones!

15. Stratsandaks

Stratsandaks Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Yes, mine looks identical. Wrong screws, poorly cut gimping, etc.

PM sent

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

16. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The "time limit" for being charged for Mail Fraud or Wire Fraud is five years (18 U.S.C. ยง 3282). Contact U.S. Postal Inspectors in your area.

skyhorse likes this.
  17. Kilohotel

Kilohotel

Nov 25, 2010
    What can one espect as a steel in a "s30v" PM2 ebay knockoff? 8crmov? Aus8? 440?

18. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Probably some Chinese equivalent of 420j

19. JWpipes

JWpipes

Jun 1, 2012
    I just purchased a Byrd Raven 2 from BRK that I am reselling. The box states the steel is 8Cr13Mov when the knife is known to have and is labeled as BD1. The liner looks a bit thin compared to a persistence I have. I'm worried. Anyone from Spyderco care to comment?