1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by RevDevil, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    I also frequent Jeff Randalls site whom is one of the owners of ESEE knives. He said they have very little trouble with Amazon, but frequently with ebay.
    Me? I prefer buying from an authorized dealer. Sure, I pay a bit more, but I know what I've got too.

2. H0bbs

H0bbs Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I recently picked up a PM2 from a forum where I couldn't see anything wrong in the photos but upon receiving it I had some concerns...
    The PM2 was supposedly a "S35vn without the original scales, and flytanium carbon fiber scales"... Came with a box and Edge-u-cation paperwork stating it as a S35 brown exclusive. Where my big concern is the grind line above the Spyderhole... Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I notice that this looks a bit like the ones sold by "t_amena_oyuno3" on a certain auctioning site.... Anybody have an opinion on this knife's authenticity?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    The lack of grind line above the hole is suspect, at least to me. Any pics of the underside of the liners, showing the tiny "w" shaped notches that are stamped in them?

4. hoboken

hoboken

Dec 17, 2005
    Does anyone know if there are fake GB2s out there?

5. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Fake Domino on flea bay

Says correct markings on it.

Seller from Florida.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. Hermit_Knight

Hermit_Knight

Mar 19, 2018
    The fake spydercos are getting scary in how accurate they look, I’m getting a Yojimbo 2 in a couple of days I got it for a great price but I’m worried, would this be the correct thread to post pics of it when I receive it? Thanks.

7. Hermit_Knight

Hermit_Knight

Mar 19, 2018
    Could someone please tell me if this is a real endura I picked it up at a pawn shop it had no box thanks guys!

https://imgur.com/a/aGydh

8. darth_cholo

darth_cholo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Any fakes with laminated steel? Or are those safe? I figure that's a high effort thing to fake.

9. Hermit_Knight

Hermit_Knight

Mar 19, 2018
    Look inside the liners for a little notch on each side that’s a good sign for authenticity I’ve been told.

Blues likes this.
  10. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    H0bbs,

I have a early PM2 with S35VN and a PM2 with CTS204P that have identical upper grind lines to your photos. The remainder of the PM2 liners and lock appears to be also identical.

Later production PM2 have a more pronounced grind line that is vertical and not blended in a curve as your example. Slight change in Spyderco grinding production is my guess.

Regards,
    FK

11. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    I will never buy knives online unless it's from an authorized dealer. I stopped using FleaBay well over two years ago now. I think I have enough knives to last the rest of my life, as long as I don't lose them. :thumbsup:

D1N0 likes this.
  12. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I purchased a PM2 (S110V) from amazon which arrived yesterday. I checked it against every video / thread that I could find and it seems to pass every test for a counterfeit that I came across.

The box ends had tape but I have read that the knives frequently do from amazon. There was no paper, only the little folding product info / warranty guide. The foam was the dense, slightly undersized type. The box itself appeared legit to the best of what I can glean online.

All the hardware, grinds, lock, liners, etching, G10, fit and finish passed the smell test. I was a little concerned that the blade didn't drop free (much) at first, but it sure did after I hit it with some Slip 2000 EWL.

BTW, my understanding is as reported above...any returns sent back to amazon are not sold as "new". (Though I have personally experienced an error of that sort once on a pair of shoes from them which had a Zappos receipt in it. Amazon owns Zappos or did, and apparently used the same warehouse to fill shoe orders.)

Oh, the funny thing is I had a good premonition about this knife. When I walked down with the dog to get the mail on the main road, the only two things in the mailbox were the package containing the knife...and a pretty decent sized spyder guarding the package at the back of the box. Truth.

Looking forward to putting the knife to work and into the rotation alongside some other classics.

13. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Steven W. Knight likes this.
  14. Smoke

Smoke

Oct 14, 1998
    I just got a knockoff Reverse and the most obvious difference is that the Fake has NO screws in the handles, so switching the knife to be like the P'kal isn't possible

Here’s a list of things that I noticed compared to my Gen 2 Reverse.

Fake blade came oiled, slightly bigger Spyderhole, tang shaped different, font of company and steel is engraved and a different font, handle bolts and slabs are not seamless to the touch, narrower blade section toward the front and not as tall, company and designer logos only on 1 side and the roughly ground blade is sharp at the first inch only.

Fake sheath is wider, with rough lips and a fake Tek lock which flexes if you pinch it, the box isn’t the same Spyderco box and wrapping they use, and mine came with a letter of history..... describing the Jot Singh Khalsa folder. [​IMG]

15. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    uxo2 likes this.
  16. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Where did you get it from?

17. Smoke

Smoke

Oct 14, 1998
    Sorry about that, Ebay seller based in Asia.

18. neffarious

neffarious

Jun 23, 2012
  19. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I buy vape and electronic stuff from them and if stuff like vape gear says authentic, it is.

A Spyderco though? Not a chance. I would never buy a knife from FT. Really bad idea.

They have pulled down fake Spydercos in the past quickly though.

20. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Looks real to me. I have never seen a fake with the correct jimping. The real ones have jimping that looks like stairs climbing up over the arch over the Spyderco. The fake ones have jimping that points straight up like ^^^^^^.

Look at your jimping vs this. All the fake Spydercos have jimping as pictured below. The real Spydercos have jimping like yours that looks like stairs climbing up the spine.

[​IMG]