Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Here is the fake PM2 Tanto, the comp lock is absolutely terrible, you can very easily tell and feel that this is not a Spyderco, unless you've never handled the brand.
Also there are visual features, like the F'ed up spider logo, the font is off compared to the real PM2 and the ricasso line does not go past the hole like it should. Also, the liners are still not nested, which is good, this is the most obvious thing to check for so as to not buy a fake PM2.

Also, it says "Golden.Colorado U.S.A.Earth" on the back, not "Golden, Colorado U.S.A, Earth". Check for this, too.

So, good, there are still pretty distinguishable visual features on the knife such as this that would let someone know it is not real. Because it definitely doesn't feel anything close to real, feels like a terrible backwards liner lock.

Last edited:
Well poo. I guess the PM2 that I have been carrying on and off for years is fake, I picked it up at a swap meet from a seller who was reselling amazon electronics return pallets. I only paid 5 bucks, the seller said he didn't know anything about it, it was just with the random returns he bought. (In my defense, I had fallen out of the knife hobby at the time, was more busy in college and nothing stood out on the knife.)

It's got all the signs I'd never have though to look at, "Golden.Colorado U.S.A.Earth", only two cutouts in the liners instead of three, no laser cutter notch.

It's scary because nothing about the quality, fit or finish made me question. Even the steel is quite good, no real difference from my c30v and CM154 bladed BMs, Kershaws and Gerbers.

oYSRz4h.jpeg

I feel the need to destroy it as it's a dirty counterfeit but at the same time, if I hadn't seen this thread, I'd be going on my happy way, no the wiser.

For those more knowledgeable than I, any reason to believe this GB1 isn’t authentic?

Relative to a few I’ve seen for sale recently, the writing designating Taiwan seems a little different and the hollow goes a little higher (smaller flats toward the tip).

Thank you!

4B250D25-0CF2-4BD9-88A1-ECAE5ABF0EA3.jpeg1E458227-C4D1-4FB9-AF46-503E35557643.jpegF1B36E3A-0B22-47E9-8FCE-25B3992B05E4.jpeg08F21465-AA9C-4D7D-9644-F36E32634B75.jpegE8FD8C4E-D3EC-4CCA-A5E9-694C3DC228BE.jpeg

I am holding mine while looking at your pics.

The only differences I see are that my lockup is a bit later; meaning the liner lock is flush with the blade tang.

Also, my hollow grind on the left side has a bit more of a curve near the flats. Your right side looks normal.

The lettering is the same.

Tough to say if it's fake or not, as it is possible it's just a primary grind being a wee different.

For those more knowledgeable than I, any reason to believe this GB1 isn’t authentic?

Relative to a few I’ve seen for sale recently, the writing designating Taiwan seems a little different and the hollow goes a little higher (smaller flats toward the tip).

Thank you!

View attachment 1870649View attachment 1870650View attachment 1870651View attachment 1870652View attachment 1870653
Your GB1 looks authentic to me.
I have had mine since it was released and I don’t recall seeing any fakes around but I could be wrong about that.

Did the Manix2 ever come with nylon washers? I just picked one up and the nylon washers along with the Spyderco logo make me think it’s a fake. Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back