spyderco knives

SIRGALANT

BANNED
i know this is a sog forum , don`t get me wrong i have about 7 sogs , but i just bought a spyderco harpy and was wondering what you guys thought of spyderco?

I love spyderco and they make great knives. Alot of times they arent the prettiest knives to look at, but dont let that fool you. If I had to choose 1 producer of knives to be used as my Beater and hard use knives it would be Spyderco. They are like the AK-47 of knives imo. They can take abuse, always reliable and never malfunction, VG-10 holds a great edge, have great ergonomics, great lockbacks that i have never seen fail, backed by a great warranty and creator and they are the sharpest knives out of the box i have ever felt.

in the movie "hannibal" hannibal lecter uses a spyderco knife with the same blade sahpe as my harpy to cut a guy open and to slit someones throat. i like to buy knives i see in movies . an awesome knife fight was in "under seige 2" in which steven segal uses a mission knife to fight a guy with a double edged gerber. steven segal make two moves and it looks like hes done nothing but then the guy looks down and goes "f#$k , you ruined my coat" . i love knife fights in movies . in one steven segal movie he takes out his gerber , lift the guys arm up with one hand and stabs the guy in the armpit 3 times with the gerber in the other hand . i wanted the gerber knife he used but they are very rare in australia

the point is that the movie made me buy that spyderco , and now i love it.

SirGalant,
In the movie I think it may have been a harpy, in the book it's a Civilian. I see your point, but was rather disturbed to see that the book and movie both had such a vile psychotic character using a brand name knife by a well respected company. Just more fodder for the sheeple. Back to the thread topic, I love Spydie folders, though I only have one at the moment. I disagree with the thread starter though, I think SOG makes a really nice line of folders, based on what I've read here and elsewhere, but they just seem to be overshadowed by the fixed blades. Have to say I don't have any of their folders but I do love the fixed blades. I own or have owned several different models and plan to own many more.

Lagarto

I *think* in "Hannibal" Lecter used a Harpy for a low strike, and seems to have discarded it. Later, in the US, he went to a gun show and purchased a Civilian (the seller was surprised when Hannibal asked for it by name, not many in general public would know about it), and then also purchased a "Spyderco 4" drop point blade", although I have no clue what specifically it could have been. I read the book maybe 4-5 years ago, so don't quote me on these things. I did have a Harpy by then, so I was surprised to see it in print and used as a weapon, seeing as it had the slipperies handle of the knives I had at the time.

Since I started gathering the Spydies, I started noticing them in movies which I saw several times but didn't *see* the knives for what they were. Police in "Hard Target", Endura in "Cliffhanger", etc. I own dozens of Spydies now. Great knives, especially in terms of bang for your buck. The raw creativity and the whackiest designs (Dodo, Dialex's Adventura) definitely set them apart. Not to mention that I love the opening hole.

Having said that, I have my share of SOGs as well. SOG has a nice choice of large bowie type fixed blades that Spyderco doesn't. My first SOG was a Desert Dagger, and it is the most spectacular, functional and esthetic dagger I ever owned. Soon the Pentagon and Mini-Pentagon followed. Pentagon proved itself in the kitchen, camping and during house renovations, frankly I was surprised that the tip survived all the cutting and sawing (I love the dual plain-serrated blade on that one). Thes SOG Flash II, just to try out the SAT opening, and I have to tell you I've been yelled at to stop flicking the darn thing, it's so addictive.

Overall, I came to expect more sharpness out of the box from Spyderco. The way they get S30V blades to be scary sharp is really impressive. SOGs to me seem to be sharp, very sharp, but not terrifyingly sharp. But that hardly matters, since after I work off the original edges and sharpen them later they all end up the same sharpness. Spydies are small, neat, scary sharp, premium steels (CPM stuff, VG-10, etc.). SOGs are large, reliable, sharp, good steels.

So for something in my pocket I go with a Spydie, and for something on the belt or for really serious work I go with a SOG.

I prefer the SOG fixed blades to Spyderco's. The first SOG folder I owned was a Tomcat, great knife but it was replaced by a Spydeco folder. The new SOG Trident folder might be my next folder purchase as I don't own any assisted opening knives. Still I prefer Spyderco folders for the most part and the fact they are of a better grade of steel.

i had a trident folder , gave it to my girlfreind for self defense purposes. ihave 2 flash 2s , both of which are 50/50 bladed , one zytel handled,the other graphite handled . they are awesome knives , but now i`m starting to lover spydercos , but i have tools to buy , and i have a love affair with snap on tools .

It takes a brave man SIRGALANT to admit to his tool-buying obsessions, lol... good job man. The first step is admission... :D :p

Catch ya later as always...
-Cleary

Speaking of Spyderco sighting, a civilian was used in the first season of 24 and this year on Desperate Housewives (not that there is much action in the later).

When was the Civilian used in the first season of 24? Just curious....Didn't remember seeing it.

IMO, Spyderco makes the best "for use" production folders, bar none. Premium steel, practical handle materials and ergos, and great value for the price.

Yes, but no one will ever know we are talking about Spydies......:p

Unless someone tells Chris at SOG...............:rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson;)

Back when Spyderco was using AUS8, a SOG with AUS6 seemed acceptable if I preferred the blade shape. But now Spyderco is way ahead. Why can't we get Autoclips with good steel and NORMAL blades, instead of this silly x42 tanto? I like a lot of the simple SOG lockbacks, but I am slow to go crazy for them because the steel is not as good as dozens of other knives. Spyderco is finally going to kiss AUS6 goodbye, except for keychain knives probably, when they update the stainless Delica. In a few months SOG will be using steel for most of their good designs that everyone else has dropped.

BK400,

It was in the episode when Jack went to the office and had the gun fight with all the glass partition being shot up. He used the Spyderco to cut the finger off one of the shooters who was killed so he could get an ID.

I know I've seen a Microtech Halo (highly illegal here in Canada, never had the pleasure of holding one) on 24, the part where Jack's family was kidnapped and senator Palmer (?) was the target. I must have missed the Spydie episodes.

Oh, and having said that, I just got the Dialex's Adventura folder, and it is REALLY nifty. Really thin, really light, the blade shape is unorthodox but great at cutting with any part of it with any grip, and the handle is comfy and more secure than full stainless handle models. Just wanted to share my joy a little... :p

To me the SOG Trident Folder is a step in the right direction - good design and decent steel with AUS-8. Bump that up to 154CM and the prices on New Graham from 67$ to the 80$ range.

SOG has great fixed blade designs but they would be better if they used steel better than AUS-6.

Back