spyderco knives

I have just been ignoring this thread because I found it interesting to see what others thought about Spyrdeco and the influence seeing knives on TV has on people. I must admit that when ever I see a knife on TV I have to see if I can figure out what kind of knife it is.

About SOG's fixed blades using AUS-6. Many of our more popular fixed blades use AUS-6, but if you check out the newest models, such as the Tech Bowie, Daggert, Gov-Tac and SEAL Pup Elite, they all use AUS-8.

We are working on introducing a new couple models with a more exotic steel, (there may be a Trident folder with an exotic steel coming) but the majority of our customers are buying on price over steel selection. Of course this is only true to a point and we realize that steel is at the heart of a knife's performance. We feel that our steel choices, AUS-6 and AUS-8, offer a good balance between price and performance.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the response. I am not trying to come off harsh, just as a knife nut I am more nit-picky than the average consumer. A average consumer is going to buy a knife based on looks vs steel. Benchmade is going at this market with well designed knives in 440C. CRKT has actually changed some of its models from AUS-6 to AUS-4, which is getting them some flack from Knife nuts.

The SOG Tomcat I bought, when they 1st came out, was a great knife to me at that time. I used it till I found it easier to carry knives with clips and opening holes/studs. From that point on I never saw any SOG folders that appealed to me till the SOG Trident Folder. If I was still in the Army I would probably EDC one quite a bit.

SOG fixed blades I have owned were the Desert Dagger and the NW Ranger. The Desert Dagger was bought just because I did not own any Daggers and I preferred the looks of it over the others on the market at that time. The NW Ranger was bought while in the Army as a easy to carry fixed blade for the field. It did the job wonderfully, but a better quality steel would of cut down on the resharpening. Gave the NW Ranger to a soldier who worked for me and I am sure it is serving him well still.

I am glad to see SOG making some changes for the better in both design & steel. As soon as the Christmas bills are paid I will be purchasing a new SOG. I am torn between the SOG Pentagon & the Trident Folder. The Trident Folder would see more use but I love the design of the Pentagon.

Hello Chris!

The Trident is cool, but I want simpler knives with better steel. AirSOG and Autoclip (with either clip or drop point, NOT tanto) are some of my favorite knife designs. I only just recently bought a new AirSOG (I previously had an extremely used and beat up one) because I got a deal on it. The steel always made me hesitate to spend significant money on it, but I don't have a problem spending $50 or more if it had better steel made harder.

I would LOVE an autoclip with either a drop- or clip-point BG42 blade. A plain edge AirSOG with BG42 (or maybe VG10 since it's from Japan) would also be nice.

I don't see why the Spyderco Delica should be the only medium priced lockback with a top quality blade.

I think the Autoclip is made at a good price for being made in the US, but why try to make a cheap knife out of cheap steel? There is always going to be someone that works for less, but there isn't always someone wanting to make a better knife. Look at all the knives Gerber is selling. Stores are packed full of hundreds of their 420hc and who knows what else blades made in Taiwan, China, and just a small handful in the US. There is no way a low-price-tuned US made Autoclip is going to beat Gerber's ability to import stuff, so why not try making it the better knife rather than the cheaper one?

The x42 is not a bad price, but the tanto fad seems to be fading into a preference only a few customers have.

Back