Spyderco looks

The Military being my favorite folder of all time, functions superbly and I happen to think it looks sexy.

Then there are some spydercos that look like a squeezed turds. LOL

Personally I dont judge the entire brand based on one knife. Some are great looking. Some arent

They all function fantastically

Last edited:
I'll admit that the looks were something that turned me off from the brand for a while when I was first getting into knives- thought they looked kind like a bird. After taking a chance on a PM2 and using it for a few months, the looks definitely grew on me and I came to appreciate it. They kind of have this cool retro-futuristic aesthetic where form follows function. Big fan of them!

I like to be able to open the knife, use it and put it away with one hand. Spyderco always seems to be on the cutting edge with steels and design. They have a diversity of locations to manufacture for various price points and quality. They cover all the points that are important to me and looks are further down the line. I have many of their knives. Thanks Sal & Eric.

I don't know lately all these knives I see on knife swap groups with the decorative pivots, multiple finishes on the blade, exotic scales, etc just seem a little too much to me. I am preferring the utilitarian design and looks of Spydercos because at the end of the day for me a knife is a tool, not jewelry.

Sorry, I don't care for the Spyderco look, never did and never will. As for function, there are more knives than I could count that function as well, many even better.
Just curious why you are at a Spyderco forum? No offense intended but why read about knives that you have no intention of eve
What knives are you referring to? Why are you posting in the Spyderco forum if you are so unhappy with what Spyderco produces? Just curious.
What knives are you referring to? Why are you posting in the Spyderco forum if you are so unhappy with what Spyderco produces? Just curious.
I was going to ask the same question but you beat me to it!:)

Maybe it's an "eye of the beholder" thing, but I think they dress up just fine...

52241725384_beb2883a5f_b.jpg

I don't find a Delica or Police model to be particularly nice to look at, but other models I find super sleek and elegant and aesthetically pleasing. The SpyOpera comes to mind as a knife I think looks great, plenty others too.

The Manix 2 is NOT ergonomic... at least for my hands. The handle curves and not does contour to ones hand. The design puts way too much pressure on the index finger.

It is not something I want to hold in my hand for an extended period. Shaving off kindling for a fire is one of my main uses for a knife and the Manix 2 is not ideal.

But damn, the grip is tight! A bit too blocky, but most folders are.

HOWEVER! I love the Manix 2! Build quality is exceptional! I love the thumbhole. I eased the tension on the spring. I feel really good puling it out and putting it back in my pocket. I was able to get aftermarket parts so it is all metal with a deep carry clip. Very few pieces internally. Spyderco is FANTASTIC!

I decided I just need a fixed blade when I go in the woods.

I like Manix. It is a very good "working knife" which is my #1 criteria for a knife. That said I'll still stick with my good old CPM-M4 Gayle Bradley.

I keep thinking that I replaced the scales on my Manix 2. I have several posts stating my Manix is all metal. G10 scales. I have issues.

The Military being my favorite folder of all time, functions superbly and I happen to think it looks sexy.

Then there are some spydercos that look like a squeezed turds. LOL

Personally I dont judge the entire brand based on one knife. Some are great looking. Some arent

They all function fantastically
Iā€™m with you on the Military. Outstanding knife on every level including looks (in my opinion). Iā€™m hoping for more sprint runs and dealer exclusives in the near future.

I too am curious to what knives. Is it the hump that's found on many blades? The FRN scale pattern? I think it's ok to voice his opinion that he doesn't like how they look as I used to not find beauty in the things I mentioned but over time the looks do grow on you and you start to realize how sophisticated the design of Spyderco is. Also, how does one scientifically measure how well a knife functions? Lol it either does or it doesn't, and if it's slice-ability we're talking about not sure if many do it better.

32 years ago, I was fresh out of high school and working my first full time job (mall security, lol) There was a Hoffritz knife store in that mall, and I spotted the coolest knife I had ever seen. Fully serrated Clipit Delica with the integral plastic clip. I bought it with my first paycheck. I carried and used that knife for years, sadly it was ultimately lost somewhere. But I have been a Spyderco fan ever since and have owned dozens of different models.

32 years ago, I was fresh out of high school and working my first full time job (mall security, lol) There was a Hoffritz knife store in that mall, and I spotted the coolest knife I had ever seen. Fully serrated Clipit Delica with the integral plastic clip. I bought it with my first paycheck. I carried and used that knife for years, sadly it was ultimately lost somewhere. But I have been a Spyderco fan ever since and have owned dozens of different models.

That integral plastic grip was great up until the tip started to spread away from the scale. The clip eventually snapped when sideways pressure was applied where it bumped the steering wheel while getting out of the car. Can still hear the snapping sound in my memory when it broke. :mad:

Ended up using a hacksaw to cut off the rest of the clip, and butchered the scale pretty well. May still have the knife somewhere. Thought about getting one of the wire clips and trying to put it on.

Back