Spyderco or kershaw?

There's a reason that the Tenacious is always topping lists and is a big dominator in budget EDC. Even if you can't see it, when you handle one it will be obvious. Best liner lock I've ever owned! It is truly a beast and I carry mine quite often despite having "better" options (on paper anyway). I wasn't a fan of the looks either, but you'll get the form-meets-function design when you handle it. Now I love those weird looks ;)

I'm in agreement of made in USA all the way. Also not a huge fan of the spidey hole but have lately come to appreciate the Spyderco native 5 light weight. My most carried knives are benchmade 556-1 & ZT 0450 G10. Find a way to put your hands on one instead of just looking at pictures and relying on other people's subjective opinions. It's the only way you will know what feels and works best for you.

I gave my one and only Kershaw away. I also will say that the Tenacious is my least favorite Spyderco knife. Something about the big fat handle and blade I don't really care for. It's much bigger than it needs to be, and aesthetically it looks 'off.' I've loved every other one, however.

I've gifted 2 Tenacious folders and was impressed for the money. Both knives very well received.

Spyderco without a second thought

wpvF9Rx.jpg

I think you owe it to yourself to give Spyderco a shot. I as well as others did not care for the Spydie look.
Once I tried one out,there was no turning back.

I'll second this. The hole can give Spyderco knives an odd look, but the ergonomics on the ones I've owned have been fantastic.

I happen to like the look of the Spydie hole, but I can understand why some folks might not (and it does make many of their models wide in the pocket). Spend some time with one and see what you think.

I tend to carry traditionals on a daily basis but when I used to require a good folder for work purposes I carried a spydie about 90% of the time. The spydie hole is especially handy when wearing gloves. You should absolutely give them a try.

I buy a lot of Kershaws out of curiosity, but they never make it into rotation over Spyderco. Spend a few weeks with the hole and see if you still take issues with it.

Buy a spyderco. They have better steel options. Kershaw is mostly 8cr steel that don't last long and often have speedsafe which I dislike. Kershaw do have some really good USA models tho... And either way they have good warranty. the USA models usually have better steel choices but most still come with speedsafe. some kershaw models now come with bearings, hawk lock which i think are still chinese manufactured, there's also the usa made classic skyline. it is a pb washer flipper.

I didn't like the look of spyderco... But after trying them out I fell in love. Pure work knives with so many steel options. Excellent craftmanship for USA and Asian made models (the stuff made in China like the bird branded spyderco are okay but leave much to be desired.

anyways, best of luck in the decision.

Last edited:
Buy a spyderco. They have better steel options. Kershaw is mostly 8cr steel that don't last long and often have speedsafe which I dislike.

I'm not a fan of assisted openers either, but I will say that I've owned two Kershaw SpeeedSafe knives that got it right: the Cryo 2 and the Knockout. Both knives would be more expensive as manual openers -- to the best of my knowledge, at least -- and SpeedSafe gives them action similar to a pricier knife without the price.

It's 37$ at my local Walmart. If it's still there I'll probably pick up the tenacious when I cash my next check in, or tomorrow if I get off of work early

Op I have a tenacious user that you are more then welcome to try out for a few weeks if you want up to you

Cool, let us know what you think of the Tenacious. I think it's a great knife.
The only Kershaw I own is the Blur which is quite nice.

Right on man I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just wasn't sure when you were going to buy it and I like to handle a knife before I buy so I offered

Well I just got it, and so far I like it. Wasn't sure what to think but it's a good seeming liner lock (I actually trust it) and the flip actually flips without being insanely loose. Havnt cut anything with it yet tho, but I like flat gring more than hollow so that's already a plus

Ergonomics are great so far, and it cut through cardboard like butter. I think the steel is decent from the crkt's I have with it. Seems very well made. Don't like how it has a stylized China on it tho.

If comparing imported knives, I'll give the nod to Spyderco. Whether looking at a Byrd or a Chinese Spyderco (Tenacious), they're all generally better knives than the imported Kershaws.

If you're looking for a USA made blade, Spyderco runs into a little trouble. Kershaw offers some great value domestic knives that Spyderco can't compete with. The Link, Dividend, Skyline, Leek or Blur don't really have a USA produced counterpart (price-wise) from Spyderco. The Kershaws can be found ranging from $35-60; Spyderco doesn't offer any domestic knives near that range.

I'd give Kershaw a little edge on customer service but not enough to make a huge difference.

Enjoy your Tenacious, it's a great knife!

Reactions: Mo2
Back