Spyderco Para 3 Maxamet or CruWear?

I want to get one of the sprint runs but cant decide which one. I really don't need both because it will be a user. What are the differences in the steels? and What would be the better choice?

Toughness and more stain resistant =
Cruwear

Significantly higher edge retention, and abrasive wear resistance =
Maxamet

What do you want?
Something that won't dull on you after two days of work, or one that can take a heavy beating and not come out chipped?

Cru-wear sharpens like a boss, and is tough as nails, it also seems to be semi stainless. It's not as reactive as other pm tool steels like M4, 4V, 10v and maxemet.
It's not going to have the corrosion resistance as a real stainless (8cr13mov, 440C, etc)

But it's less reactive then even D2 in my experience.
Much like 3v

Maxemet is one of the hardest steels on the market next to Rex 121. Supreme edge holding. Not as tough, easy to sharpen, or as corrosion resistant.

But If you really like a aggressive edge that cuts a good while go Maxemet.

Just keep in mind your going to need to upgrade your abrasives to get the most out of Maxemet. The Arkansas stones aren't going to cut it :D

To add to the comments already posted, keep in mind that the Maxamet version will be a regular production model. So it should be available for a while. The Cruwear model will be a Sprint run and will likely sell out fast.

Personally I'm going for the Cruwear model. I have the PM2 Cruwear and like everything about it except it's a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. Para 3 Cruwear with a short Lynch deep carry clip should be great.

To add to the comments already posted, keep in mind that the Maxamet version will be a regular production model. So it should be available for a while. The Cruwear model will be a Sprint run and will likely sell out fast.

Personally I'm going for the Cruwear model. I have the PM2 Cruwear and like everything about it except it's a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. Para 3 Cruwear with a short Lynch deep carry clip should be great.
That's good to know. Thanks

Toughness and more stain resistant =
Cruwear

Significantly higher edge retention, and abrasive wear resistance =
Maxamet

What do you want?
Something that won't dull on you after two days of work, or one that can take a heavy beating and not come out chipped?
How about s110v? I keep hearing great things about it.

Just some add in info: I am physician during the day, hobby farmer after "work" and a backpacker/camper for rec. I am a knife dealer back from the days I had a business that sold gear so I can get these all pretty easily. I have the s30v version and pull it out many times every day. I noticed the edge ever so slightly turn after cutting off a limb for a walking stick when out hiking. I stroped it and it came out but thought it would be nice to have an edc with a bit more edge retention so the maxamet sounds pretty good.

Just some add in info: I am physician during the day, hobby farmer after "work" and a backpacker/camper for rec. I am a knife dealer back from the days I had a business that sold gear so I can get these all pretty easily. I have the s30v version and pull it out many times every day. I noticed the edge ever so slightly turn after cutting off a limb for a walking stick when out hiking. I stroped it and it came out but thought it would be nice to have an edc with a bit more edge retention so the maxamet sounds pretty good.
If you are chopping at the limb, go with Cru-Wear.

If you are cutting through it by taking bites, shaving down through it, or cutting diagonally through it, go with Maxamet.

If you have corrosion issues, go with S110V.

Personally, I live in NJ with tidal salt water within 5 blocks of me in three directions and I did not have any issues with Maxamet and corrosion.
That being said, I also haven't had an issue with M4, Cru-Wear, D2 or other tool and carbon steels. Even 1084, 1095, and O1 are fine, as long as I give them a wipe with mineral oil before I put them away.

Get cru wear, when your out hiking you won't have to worry about twisting this sucker in some wood

Cru-Wear is a favorite of mine. I am really impressed with Maxamet, but you have to be careful with it, no hard use. If I had to have one knife and it was between those two steels... Cru-Wear NO question.

If you are chopping at the limb, go with Cru-Wear.

If you are cutting through it by taking bites, shaving down through it, or cutting diagonally through it, go with Maxamet.

If you have corrosion issues, go with S110V.

Personally, I live in NJ with tidal salt water within 5 blocks of me in three directions and I did not have any issues with Maxamet and corrosion.
That being said, I also haven't had an issue with M4, Cru-Wear, D2 or other tool and carbon steels. Even 1084, 1095, and O1 are fine, as long as I give them a wipe with mineral oil before I put them away.
It is kinda hard to chop with a 2.95" blade. I was shaving down through it. On backpacking trips I don't carry any type of sharpener and have never had any problem with rust. I have a diamond sharpener system so I shouldn't have any problems. I think what I am looking for is a sharper longer edge.

How is cru wear on edge holding compared to s30v? Almost all of my folders have been s30v and overall it's been great but I do feel I sharpen it more than I want to.

How is cru wear on edge holding compared to s30v? Almost all of my folders have been s30v and overall it's been great but I do feel I sharpen it more than I want to.
Cruwear sharpens easier and takes a keener edge than S30V in every knife I have had in S30V. I have had 4 or 5 knives in S30V and one Cruwear Manix 2.
Edge holding would probably be close and likely depend on geometry more so than other variables.

All things being equal, S30V might hold an edge a very little bit longer, but not enough to worry about. I would appreciate the easier sharpening over edge holding

How would any of you compare m390 and elmax with these two?
M390 will hold a working edge longer than Cruwear and S30V, while likely being in between the two in toughness (less than Cruwear but more than S30V).

I do not have any hands on experience with Elmax, so I cannot comment on it further than suggesting you look into the S35VN vs. Elmax toughness thread. It is in general chat, and likely a few pages back by now.

I just wanted to say I had no idea the PM3 was going to have Sprint runs and production models in different steels. My mild bemusement for the PM3 has shifted into regretful happiness because I love the size and don't want to spend more money but obviously will.

I just wanted to say I had no idea the PM3 was going to have Sprint runs and production models in different steels. My mild bemusement for the PM3 has shifted into regretful happiness because I love the size and don't want to spend more money but obviously will.
Man I can tell you after owning so many high end knives for edc, this knife hit the "Goldilocks Zone" for me. The size is perfect (so much better than the PM2) and the blade length is perfect for travel were 3" is the max. At 3oz it is even ok with shorts. My only flaw is the hot spot on my hand with the clip. Just ordered a flat Ti clip off ebay. I think we have reached near edc perfection. Now to get that better steel.

Man I can tell you after owning so many high end knives for edc, this knife hit the "Goldilocks Zone" for me. The size is perfect (so much better than the PM2) and the blade length is perfect for travel were 3" is the max. At 3oz it is even ok with shorts. My only flaw is the hot spot on my hand with the clip. Just ordered a flat Ti clip off ebay. I think we have reached near edc perfection. Now to get that better steel.
I had a PM2 for a while and I liked it, but it was just a little too big. Comfy as all get out in the hand, and with the gear pattern backspacer it just felt awesome. Ultimately the slightly too big size and unpreferable blade steel (I detest S30V, hate the properties of it) caused me to fall out of love with it.

Back