spyderco paramilitary 2 outdoor lock test

thank you all!
i really like this knife, when i took it first time i was really impressed! i used my para2 as edc since 9 august and totally satisfied with it. when i tried first time spine wack-test (10 august) knife passed it with no problem. well, i say you more, in this video i wasn't expect knife failed! this is no tricks or something like that, when i came home i tried to replay test. i took several magazines instead branch and stroked para2 - it fail on 7 or 8 test.:(
yes, i totally agree that in real life there are no needs to hit something with spine of folder. and also in my childhood the only knives i owned was slip-joints and all my finger still on its place:)
maybe it is a good idea to send knife to spyderco under warranty, but it will cost me about $40. i better spend it for UK Pen Maroon FRN:)

thank you all!
i really like this knife, when i took it first time i was really impressed! i used my para2 as edc since 9 august and totally satisfied with it. when i tried first time spine wack-test (10 august) knife passed it with no problem. well, i say you more, in this video i wasn't expect knife failed! this is no tricks or something like that, when i came home i tried to replay test. i took several magazines instead branch and stroked para2 - it fail on 7 or 8 test.:(
yes, i totally agree that in real life there are no needs to hit something with spine of folder. and also in my childhood the only knives i owned was slip-joints and all my finger still on its place:)
maybe it is a good idea to send knife to spyderco under warranty, but it will cost me about $40. i better spend it for UK Pen Maroon FRN:)

I would contact Spyderco for sure. :thumbup:

Send Sal Glesser a PM about it and or call them. :)

The knife is very well designed and shouldn't have had a problem, sounds like the lock is out of spec.

..... in my childhood the only knives i owned was slip-joints and all my finger still on its place:)

Good choice.

well, i say you more, in this video i wasn't expect knife failed!

I'm just wondering, then, why you didn't seem surprised at all when the lock did fail. This is how I would react if my knife failed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYz4RZwWcM

I'm the first one to say, "Alright, the knife failed, so let's look at it a little closer to make it better," but my Spydie senses tingle when someone is *surprised* to see his lock fail and shows it by hiding the knife quickly and shutting down the camera ASAP.

Just curious. Did you try to see if the lock would fail again? Maybe it disengaged somehow when it was hit. If it failed a 2nd time I would let Spyderco check it out.

Dumb luck (or lack of it) does strike more than once.

Check to see that your pivot is nice and tight, by the way.

Hi Zuzja,

Why don't you email me. (sglesser@spyderco.com)

Where are you located?

sal

Curious. I did the same with my ZT 0301 and it closed on me(fingers were out of the way of course). The interesting part was, when whacking it on something softer(like the armrest of a coach), it wouldn't fail no matter how hard I did it. But one good whack on something rigid(wood or hard plastic) would close the knife.

I'd imagine that simply trying to muscle the knife closed also wouldn't work.

It's very curious. But I don't exactly feel the need to send my 0301 back in. It just proves that the spine of a knife is NOT a hammer. So long as everyone respects that fact, there should be no missing fingers.

Edit:
Tried the same with my Gayle Bradley, that one also closed on me.

Last edited:
THG

To call it a fail is an overstatement. This could be repeated with just about any liner lock.
First of all, the "hitting the knife on the opposite side" that you're talking about is an "overstrike." It's a different test.

And secondly, as I'm sure you've been made aware, it's not a liner lock, my friend

True dat

Spine whacking is not a good way of testing lock strength at all IMO.

It's a little bit like testing the strength of a window by throwing a brick at it.

Spine whacking is not a good way of testing lock strength at all IMO.

It's a little bit like testing the strength of a window by throwing a brick at it.

...which a bulletproof window can do, I think. A lock designed for sheer strength should, in fact, BE that bulletproof window.

...which a bulletproof window can do, I think. A lock designed for sheer strength should, in fact, BE that bulletproof window.
Perhaps, but I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what real world scenarios might equate to spine whack testings. I means, I suppose if we were discussing some fantasy self-defense scenario in which you parry a guy's pipe iron with the spine of your folding knife it might be somewhat relevant:rolleyes:, if not exactly on the same planet.

The closest thing I can think of would be stabbing into a tree with your knife, as it would be very unpleasant if the knife closed on your fingers while you were doing that:thumbdn:. However, I still feel that stabbing still wouldn't have the same level of impact in the right direction as a sharp spine whack. Even that Gayle Bradley which presumably to some would have a "faulty" lock didn't close up on me when I stabbed it into compressed cardboard.

My daily use has never caused the lock to fail on any of my folders. And if my coworkers can use their SAKs without a lock for years, I don't see it becoming an issue for EDC use. To me, I feel the lock is simply there to keep the knife open. Anything else is really just extra.

Back