Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

I would assume that since massdrop does an individual deal for each drop, they would not fall under MAP as such, since they have a different business model. They commonly sell a couple products that are otherwise only available from a couple of companies, (darn tough vermont for one) and that doesn't seem to affect the other agreements. I think its more the fact that the "group buy" model hasn't turned out to work so great, and doesn't produce the discounts that it did off the beginning.
It is because of map that it doesn't work that way. If they make an exclusive they can set pricing like dealers can.

And yes group buy doesn't work as well as it once did. They have to make money too and they are getting stuff from a vendor so vendors have to get theirs and money for shipping etc. It all adds up.

MD is special as I understand they contract direct with manufacturers for a product so likely the contracts with Spyderco are keeping them effectively at MAP. That is more a side topic anyhow but at page 12 how much more can be said on the core subject?

Many smart businessmen believe that taking good care of the customers will take good care of their business. I guess the question is who are the customers, the end users or the retailers?

This increase in MAP is at the sole request of the primary dealers. Safe to say that they are at least regarded as the customer in this case.

Last edited:
In the supply chain the dealer is a customer yes, that's just how it works. Anytime there is a price increase/MAP increase people will be upset.

I hope that @Sal Glesser and the fine folks at Spyderco realize that many of us including myself aren't so much upset about the price increase but how dealers are using MAP to stifle competition. I may not understand the nuts and bolts of everything involved; I just know in other industries that I spend my money in (Cars, Instruments, etc...) part of the competition is getting the best deal as well as quality customer service. I've spent more on a bass to support local and to support quality CS when I could've gotten it cheaper. It's always a balancing act when it comes to justifying spending money. We all know that.

I want Spyderco to do well! They are a pillar in the industry and I consider them one of the BIG 3 when it comes to high performance production knives. Sal has done a ton for the knife world and community and for that he will always have my respect.

In the supply chain the dealer is a customer yes, that's just how it works. Anytime there is a price increase/MAP increase people will be upset.

I hope that @Sal Glesser and the fine folks at Spyderco realize that many of us including myself aren't so much upset about the price increase but how dealers are using MAP to stifle competition. I may not understand the nuts and bolts of everything involved; I just know in other industries that I spend my money in (Cars, Instruments, etc...) part of the competition is getting the best deal as well as quality customer service. I've spent more on a bass to support local and to support quality CS when I could've gotten it cheaper. It's always a balancing act when it comes to justifying spending money. We all know that.

I want Spyderco to do well! They are a pillar in the industry and I consider them one of the BIG 3 when it comes to high performance production knives. Sal has done a ton for the knife world and community and for that he will always have my respect.

Well said . I agree. I greatly respect Sal and his business values. Spyderco knives are still the most interesting brand on the market, imo. I hope they continue to do well.

Last edited:
My bet, the 2018 catalog drops, followed by a hundred "take my money" memes, then instead of complaints about prices, we will go back to complaining that the knife we are waiting for will come out late in the year. Sal and Eric might well be at the top of their game, but I also think that they are humble enough to look at the next year or so honestly, and make decisions based on evidence.

Reactions: whp

Well said..... from a fellow bassist that has spent an insane amount of $$$ on basses and amps, but very happy with my buying decisions due to the stellar service I receive from the companies I support.

Yikes! Was super happy to see the dlc version, but $200 is a bit much

Some of those fixed blades, too~ $389 for the Zoomer, $363 for the Respect (sweet design though).... Can't argue it's the steel on the Zoomer because you can get a lot of customs in 20cv that size cheaper than that. They'll be nice with a discontinued discount tho ;)

OTOH, some of the sprints are pretty reasonably priced, like the Calypso Jr. for $77.

Wow just saw the MSRP on the shaman go up from $249 to $299 MAP Price $199 . Now lets be real ZT is a better Value .

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing...&kcno=123&mc_cid=efa3687f8a&mc_eid=d2d96fa16f

Ouch. DLC is always a little more expensive but that gives you a direction of where this is going.

That is a bit of "sticker shock". They might have done that since the knife is so new...most non-knife nuts won't know the difference.

Yes, for many this will be normal and the rest will be the new normal.

Yikes! Was super happy to see the dlc version, but $200 is a bit much

Some of those fixed blades, too~ $389 for the Zoomer, $363 for the Respect (sweet design though).... Can't argue it's the steel on the Zoomer because you can get a lot of customs in 20cv that size cheaper than that. They'll be nice with a discontinued discount tho ;)

OTOH, some of the sprints are pretty reasonably priced, like the Calypso Jr. for $77.

I don't understand how the Zoomer is $389. Bark River makes convex grinds everyday in the US in comparable steels for way less than that!
While the Respect is a great take on the Bowie knife 363 seems high too especially for cpm 154.

I could and have been wrong. They may sell for that price. Only time will tell.

I was considering getting a Shaman but at $195, I don’t see the value there. It’s current price is spot on and even at $170-180, I still see it at a fair price point. Once the Shaman touch’s $200, that value is gone for me.

I would look at G10 griptiliian or full Ti Zt for about $20 more first. The Shaman is in that price range now. I’ve been eyeing up a few Spydercos for a while and think I’ll get those before the price increase. I get that prices increase and I feel no angst against Spyderco but I will be more selective on the models I purchase.

Last edited:
W whp Both you need distributors to sell in volume but with out end users the distributors don't need your product.
The end users are the key to success. You have to keep your eye on the prize.
Simply, increasing Map is increasing the price of the product to end users through a mechanism of price fixing. Do either of the propositions appeal to us?

I was considering getting a Shaman but at $195, I don’t see the value there. It’s current price is spot on and even at $170-180, I still see it at a fair price point. Once the Shaman touch’s $200, that value is gone for me.

I would look at G10 griptiliian or full Ti Zt for about $20 more first. The Shaman is in that price range now. I’ve been eyeing up a few Spydercos for a while and think I’ll get those before the price increase. I get that prices increase and I feel no angst against Spyderco but I will be more selective on the models I purchase.

Spyderco is losing their value pricing business model. Now they ll be selling more marketing.

Spyderco is losing their value pricing business model. Now they ll be selling more marketing.

Businesses must do what they need to do and that's fine. However, personally the appeal of Spyderco to me has always been that they are outstandingly ergonomic user knives at attractive prices and possibly my favorite overall brand. If I somehow break a blade though, I have to buy a new knife rather than pay a relatively small fee for a new blade and tune-up, and is something I factor into the equation. A Delica at $55 was a no-brainer for me, but heading seemingly to about $75, I'm not so sure for what the knife is. If I break mine, I'll have to think about whether I'll replace it with another Delica or a different value folder. And that may possibly apply to other models if they break or get lost...I have enough knives that I might just use my others instead of replacing them.

If I break mine, I'll have to think about whether I'll replace it with another Delica or a different value folder.
The way I see it is, it's impossible to beat a delica's performance. If you go cheaper you can get something that does the job, just not as well. But hey that's just the way I'm looking at it. The bugout is thin slicer but more expensive. the Delica is ultimate edc for most folks.

Back