Spyderco price increases and higher MAP pricing

There are a lot of moving parts to Map pricing. I am slowly getting the just of it. My issue with Map (and please tell me if I am incorrect) is the idea that it helps brick and mortar stores. I don’t recall the last time that I saw a mom and pop selling knives or a local cutlery shop. I do see large retailers who are already sitting on million or billions in capital. So, who does Map really help? My opinion is that Map helps retailers make a profit and in turn, the knife company get their products on these large retailers shelves.

I definitely don’t see Sypderco as a greedy company. I see them as a class act who try to balance making a profit with concern for the consumer. This can be a difficult balancing act. Spyderco, back in the 90’s started my knife addiction and will always be a favorite of mine. I actually bought a pair of Spydies the last two weeks. A GB2 and a blacked out Manix 2. Spyderco will have my business so as long as I see value in their product.

Last edited:
Spyderco and their knife resellers aren’t charities and deserve/need to make $$$. Personally, a FEW bucks here and there isn’t going to change my mind on what I purchase. If a retailer makes 40% margin (they don’t) and the knife is well priced for what it is, I’ll still buy it. If Sal drives around in a Bugatti but his knives are well priced, I’ll still buy them. I received a $120 Para 3 yesterday from USA Made Blades and couldn’t be happier with the knife, value for money and retailer experience. But if that knife was $150+ I would have considered another Benchmade or my first ZT.

I do compare Spyderco pricing to other US brands and will buy based on price if a different brand offered better materials for a lesser price. Also companies like Cold Steel are making great stuff and are good values and will likely benefit from US brand price increases as well.

I have been on a bit of a buying spree lately, so luckily I have accumulated a nice small collection of Spydercos I love before any price increases.

Interesting to see how this actually plays out...

There are a lot of moving parts to Map pricing. I am slowly getting the just of it. My issue with Map (and please tell me if I am incorrect) is the idea that it helps brick and mortar stores. I don’t recall the last time that I saw a mom and pop selling knives or a local cutlery shop. I do see large retailers who are already sitting on million or billions in capital. So, who does Map really help? My opinion is that Map helps retailers make a profit and in turn, the knife company get their products on these large retailers shelves.

I definitely don’t see Sypderco as a greedy company. I see them as a class act who try to balance making a profit with concern for the consumer. This can be a difficult balancing act. Spyderco, back in the 90’s started my knife addiction and will always be a favorite of mine. I actually bought a pair of Spydies the last two weeks. A GB2 and a blacked out Manix 2. Spyderco will have my business so as long as I see value in their product.

The local brick and mortar store that is local to me carries Benchmade and they will cut me 15% off. I would buy everything from them if they had a better selection!

As someone else pointed out, if Amazon doesn't follow MAP then this increase in MAP will drive even more business to them.
No question that a price increase reduces demand. Not for everyone but at the margin it will impact sales.
I still think some Spydercos like the PM2 and the Manix2 are good values.

So does amazon still get to ignore MAP while routinely selling fakes?

Looks to me like items sold by Amazon are all at MAP, just look at the benchmades. Individual sellers on Amazon can do what they want though just like our exchange here.

As someone else pointed out, if Amazon doesn't follow MAP then this increase in MAP will drive even more business to them.
No question that a price increase reduces demand. Not for everyone but at the margin it will impact sales.
I still think some Spydercos like the PM2 and the Manix2 are good values.
I definitely think there will still be some great values in their catalog, just a bit less so than before.

Looks to me like items sold by Amazon are all at MAP, just look at the benchmades. Individual sellers on Amazon can do what they want though just like our exchange here.

Native 5 G10 is 125.72
Paramilitary 2 is 122.78
Delica is 59.50

I didn't realize that Spyderco could be sold on Amazon cheaper. The first two are shipped from and sold by Amazon.

Native 5 G10 is 125.72
Paramilitary 2 is 122.78
Delica is 59.50

I didn't realize that Spyderco could be sold on Amazon cheaper. The first two are shipped from and sold by Amazon.

I have noticed that the Amazon price reflects the difference in what I get charged for sales tax in ordering from Amazon--it is the MAP price less tax. I don't usually pay tax when ordering online, but due to the states suing Amazon, I do on Amazon. They are basically the MAP price after sales tax.

The vendors in their Marketplace do charge lower than MAP pricing sometimes. However, these vendors also sell fakes, too.

I have only bought one Spyderco for MAP pricing since they went to MAP. I think that it is price fixing and I do not approve of this practice. I will only buy on the secondary market and then only if the price reflects what I think is the value of that particular knife. The same goes for Benchmade and Zero Tolerance. The increases in the prices of knives have far exceeded the cost of living increases. Fanboys will still pay the fare, but I am not getting on the bus.

If dealers cannot make a go of it in the competitive marketplace, then they need to get out of the business. Competition is what built this country.

You are correct, I just checked. I was mistaken

My apologies, I wasn't trying to correct you. I don't buy knives from Amazon so I had never thought about checking to see if they were priced at MAP since it was put in place. I assumed it would be.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the Amazon price reflects the difference in what I get charged for sales tax in ordering from Amazon--it is the MAP price less tax. I don't usually pay tax when ordering online, but due to the states suing Amazon, I do on Amazon. They are basically the MAP price after sales tax.

The vendors in their Marketplace do charge lower than MAP pricing sometimes. However, these vendors also sell fakes, too.

I have only bought one Spyderco for MAP pricing since they went to MAP. I think that it is price fixing and I do not approve of this practice. I will only buy on the secondary market and then only if the price reflects what I think is the value of that particular knife. The same goes for Benchmade and Zero Tolerance. The increases in the prices of knives have far exceeded the cost of living increases. Fanboys will still pay the fare, but I am not getting on the bus.

If dealers cannot make a go of it in the competitive marketplace, then they need to get out of the business. Competition is what built this country.

They just instituted tax for our state. Price after tax is 138.76 for the Native 5 G10. But I do get 2 day shipping; with any online retailer they'll ship First class (3 - 4 days).

I agree with you. MAP in how they are enforcing it is price fixing!

I don’t play with amazon when buying Spyderco. I know they will have the best price, but too many horror stories on authenticity.

i wonder if this means prices in the EU are also going up.
since most knives here are actually sold above MSRP i guess it shouln't, but then again if everyone increases the prices why wouln't they.

I Posted this on the site forum thread:

Interesting thread.

I get the impression that many of you would be happier if we made all of our knives in China (cheap) and only sold to Walmart & Amazon (cheap) so YOU can get what YOU want as cheaply as possible? Or maybe we could get our crew, dealers, advertisers, shippers, suppliers, etc., to work for free?

It is our dealers that have asked us to do this. Not just B&M stores, but internet as well. Internet dealers have thanked us for doing it. The very same dealers that you get our knives from. Surely you aren't saying that you don't care about them, are you?

We don't make any more money from map. In fact it costs us more to monitor and enforce. Please try to broaden your understanding of production and distribution. You will have greater appreciation for what it takes to get you our product.

sal

Well Sal, I care as much about the dealers as they care about me. They are in it to make money.

I only have so much money, so I try to stretch it as far as I can. I look for value. This does not mean the cheapest, but rather a fair price with good value. If it is made in Japan, China, Korea, India, USA, Germany, Mexico, I don't care as long as the value and quality are there.

Someone, so ate up with consumerism, that they believe they have to buy every knife they like, will never be happy, in my opinion. Best not to even try.
There is a void at the heart of them, and it will never be filled with consumer goods.

I do not want to see the production moved to China.

Rather see MORE made in Golden. I know it comes at a higher price and maybe that means less knife purchases for the year, but just my opinion.
I do understand first hand the view of some who don’t want to see price increases, due to the frustration that most do not receive a pay increase each year that keeps up with cost of living increases. But thats a whole other issue.

Last edited:
Sorry Sal but the dealers don't care about Spyderco they care about them selves . Soon to be discontinued knives without value . Techno $225 , Caly3.5 $200 , Spyderco Sage 2 $205 and the list goes on . By the way the Southard is on sale Blade HQ $154 now that's value .

Rather see MORE made in Golden. I know it comes at a higher price and maybe that means less knife purchases for the year, but just my opinion.

That's not true look at the PM3 new model also look at the shaman . Great price for USA made knives

Back