Spyderco Rubicon Goodness

WOOT! my nick name is taking off, also I love orange so the Rubicon is just the right amount of tickle for my fancy!

Non lefty friendly like the Southard is a deal breaker for me. The "Big Daddy Techno" is what I want most no doubt.

The Rubicon looks like it has more room for a lefty to use the Spyderhole than the Slysz bowie does. Wish they'd do 4 way clip on the Rubicon.

Yeah. What I mean is the pocket clip. I can probably spidey flick it and get it open with slight inertia. Especially if it's a Taiwanese Spydie. They're smooth. Hate carrying in my right pocket or carry backwards in left pocket. Causes too much manipulation. Rubicon looks like it is only right side pocket clip. I'd love a Millie too but don't have one for same reason (right side tip down only)
The curse of being a lefty.

Yeah. What I mean is the pocket clip. I can probably spidey flick it and get it open with slight inertia. Especially if it's a Taiwanese Spydie. They're smooth. Hate carrying in my right pocket or carry backwards in left pocket. Causes too much manipulation. Rubicon looks like it is only right side pocket clip. I'd love a Millie too but don't have one for same reason (right side tip down only)
The curse of being a lefty.

I'm a lefty and it sucks having to pass up knives that are awesome for right handed people but don't work for us Southpaws. I can usually deal with right-handed pocket clip placement because I tend to carry left rear pocket for my modern folders. What I cannot deal with is poor opening access. I'll pass on any knife that I can't open easily left handed.

Anybody know what the weight of the Rubicon is? I figure with titanium liners and CF it should be around 3 ounces.

What's to :barf: about?

The looks. See below (not my pic).

img-kershaw-turbulence-04.jpg

I'm amazed how a simple clip can detract some whereas many a times I have to carry my over 3" blade completely concealed, sans clip, since it's the law in my locale. Yes, slower draw! It's a just a clip after all and not a show stopper!

Clipped to the pocket is how most people carry, and as such it is the part of the knife visible at most times. I'm sure the clip design has affected people's enjoyment of their knives in the past, so they have opinions about clips independent of the knife itself. People seem to be quite vociferous on their preferred clip design on the forums, anyway. Just see all the wire clip v non wire clip arguments, or comments on the Southard clip. However, I don't think it's a show stopper either, the clip is easily changed.

I'm a lefty and it sucks having to pass up knives that are awesome for right handed people but don't work for us Southpaws. I can usually deal with right-handed pocket clip placement because I tend to carry left rear pocket for my modern folders. What I cannot deal with is poor opening access. I'll pass on any knife that I can't open easily left handed.

I second that:thumbup:

From my personal observations, southpaws are a major minority (business-wise) and for most knifemakers a definite pass.

From my personal observations, southpaws are a major minority (business-wise) and for most knifemakers a definite pass.

There are plenty of us on here. On a funny note go ahead and substitute left handed with any other minority group. Discrimination against left handed people continues to be rationalized while discrimination against other minorities is outlawed. If you were left handed you would think differently.

There are plenty of us on here. On a funny note go ahead and substitute left handed with any other minority group. Discrimination against left handed people continues to be rationalized while discrimination against other minorities is outlawed. If you were left handed you would think differently.

Firstly, I hope we're approaching this subject in good jest. :)

I've shot courses of fire (firearms) left-handed and it's a pain but I also see left-handed firearms instructors brush it aside: Larry Vickers (Delta) and Max Joseph (USMC/TFTT). In a right-handed world you adapt! In combat, you adapt... Adaptation translates to survival. I once used a lit cigar as a distractionary defensive device.

Firstly, I hope we're approaching this subject in good jest. :)

I've shot courses of fire (firearms) left-handed and it's a pain but I also see left-handed firearms instructors brush it aside: Larry Vickers (Delta) and Max Joseph (USMC/TFTT). In a right-handed world you adapt! In combat, you adapt... Adaptation translates to survival. I once used a lit cigar as a distractionary defensive device.

What a small world! I once used the head of a Barbie doll for the same purpose.:rolleyes:

As for the knife, I just can't get over the orange bits on it. A little too Mantisesque for me.

I once used a lit cigar as a distractionary defensive device.

What a small world! I once used the head of a Barbie doll for the same purpose.:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, mine was a true incident on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles about 15 years ago. Was your's a true incident with the "Barbie Doll"?

For what it's worth, mine was a true incident on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles about 15 years ago. Was your's a true incident with the "Barbie Doll"?

Of course. I faked him on the right and threw a left round house. That teddy bear never knew what hit him. :)

Just because something or someone is a "minority", as you termed it, doesn't meant they deserve to be ignored or forgotten about. Hopefully you wise up to one day be the minority in something and realize the benefit of it. Regardless if it's a thought, an idea, or something physical.

Back