SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Hey gurdy, Salt 2 for sure! The main difference is the handle which is now has the same shape as the Delica 4. The new handle has better ergonomics (I know that is subjective but nearly everyone agrees that the Delica 4 ergos were an improvement over Delica 3). Another big improvement is the salt 2 handle is slightly thicker and feels much more rigid and stronger than the original salt 1.

As a guy who knows nothing about spear fishing, I'm genuinely curious. Aside from not just giving the catch to the sharks, what other mistakes did he make?

Biggest mistake was in the excitement of dealing with the sharks he let himself get badly tangled in his line. That can prove fatal with a powerful fish on. Whatever, it's easy to armchair qb when I'm not fighting off two sharks for my dinner. I guarantee you that guy is fully aware of whatever mistakes he made and doesn't need my help. Again, kudos to him for coming out on the good end of that.

Hey gurdy, Salt 2 for sure! The main difference is the handle which is now has the same shape as the Delica 4. The new handle has better ergonomics (I know that is subjective but nearly everyone agrees that the Delica 4 ergos were an improvement over Delica 3). Another big improvement is the salt 2 handle is slightly thicker and feels much more rigid and stronger than the original salt 1.
Thanks Gringo! I just posted the same question on the Spyderco Forum and then saw your response. I'm leaning towards the Salt 2 but it's nice to get opinions from folks that have first hand experience.

Biggest mistake was in the excitement of dealing with the sharks he let himself get badly tangled in his line. That can prove fatal with a powerful fish on. Whatever, it's easy to armchair qb when I'm not fighting off two sharks for my dinner. I guarantee you that guy is fully aware of whatever mistakes he made and doesn't need my help. Again, kudos to him for coming out on the good end of that.

Interesting. Thanks. I hope it didn't come across like I was asking you to jump all over him and harp on his errors. In the heat of that moment, who knows what anyone would do!
I was just interested since I've never done anything like that and completely lack experience.

Interesting. Thanks. I hope it didn't come across like I was asking you to jump all over him and harp on his errors. In the heat of that moment, who knows what anyone would do!
I was just interested since I've never done anything like that and completely lack experience.

No no, not at all. I just always roll my eyes at all the internet experts that come out of the woodwork anytime something like this is posted so I just didn't want to sound like I was being "that guy".

Aye yay yay I ordered one of each but can only afford to keep one of them. From everything I've read people seem to have good reasons to like the old and the new style. Figure the only way to do this right is to get both in my hand and form my own opinion. Thanks for everyones input.

Do any of you guys take apart and clean your pacific salt after a day at the beach or just rinse and dry?

Andy

Rinse and dry. No need to ever take that knife apart. Mine is coated in guts, goo, fish scales and salt everyday and it needs nothing more than a garden hose to rinse it out. Once or twice over the last five years I have gotten some small fish scales lodged in the pivot that wouldn't blow out. I just loosened the pivot a hair to make some space, blew it out and retightened. Good to go.

Rinse and dry. No need to ever take that knife apart. Mine is coated in guts, goo, fish scales and salt everyday and it needs nothing more than a garden hose to rinse it out. Once or twice over the last five years I have gotten some small fish scales lodged in the pivot that wouldn't blow out. I just loosened the pivot a hair to make some space, blew it out and retightened. Good to go.

Thank you gringo

Lol. That sounded funny in my head cause I'm Hispanic.

Hi! Another “just rinse and dry” dude here :). I remember I have completely disassembled my Pac Salt only once (and it hasn’t been very easy for me but probably I lacked experience back then). I normally rinse it under warm running water and soap, scrub it with a toothbrush and, sometimes, even use those dental soft pricks to scrub off the most stubborn gunk/debris in the least accessible areas :). As for all the other folders I own, after washing, I blow it dry with compressed air or, when not at hand, with my wife’s hairdryer :D. Good to go.

For the wash/rinse and blow dry, do you add a drop of lube to the pivot?
I sometimes do just to make the action a little slicker. The nice thing is there are no bushings and the tang runs straight against the frn. This means there's no way to really "gunk up" the pivot and you can be cavalier with both quantity and quality of lubricant. I usually just hit mine with a shot of wd40. You don't really NEED to lube the pivots on the salts but if you do, I think lighter lubes work better.

I use WD40 too, on most of my knives, aside from CRK's. For cleaning as much as for lubing. It is thin enough to clean without disassembling. Just shake dry. It's non-toxic as well.

WD40 for these three too

ulRafU2.jpg

Qepbvfl.jpg

I really love this thing. I work in landscaping in the summer and this has been great, really saves the edges of my PE knives. I can't believe I hated serrations before this!

So after many months of planning I finally picked up a salt! Of course being in Minnesota I'm about as far away from the ocean as possible although it is the land of 10,000 lakes that from where I live is still a half hour drive for the first lake and hour and a half for a decent fishing lake. But i had other motives also! My salt fish tank hobby needed a knife that wouldn't rust!
WLjHIm9.jpg
i have only had the knife for a few days now but using it around the tank and carrying it the last few days I have seen no rust at all. My cheapo kershaw rusted on me even after cleaning it super well after and not Edcing it. So looking forward to many adventures with this one!

Back