SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Islamorada been there.My friend is a fishing guide there.I caught many tarpons, mahi,, tuna, and bonefish around those waters.Did you see the famous persons boat in the Bass Pro Shop?

One of my favorite authors. Papa Hemingway's boat is a treat to see at that Bass Pro. Didn't get there this trip, but have in the past.

Always wanted to catch a tarpon. There are a few schools of them within the first mile of the seven-mile bridge in South FL. Otherwise, I must have driven by Robbie's a dozen times and never really checked them out. Those pics really changed my mind.

By the way, for casual fun, I highly recommend discovery cove at Orlando FL. They have a man-made reef that's been a joy to go swimming in. Swimming through schools of mullets, parrot fish, rays, etc is quite an experience. They also have a fake sunken ship on the bottom you can swim down to, and see barracudas on the other side of plexiglass.

On a spyderco topic, I ran across this:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Autonomy-Automatic-Knife-3--14709

spyderco-autonomy-c165gsbbk.jpg

I had no idea Spyderco made an automatic folder in H1. Anyone here played around with this?

Was in the Keys last week. Caught some nice yellowtail, a couple hogfish, a nice Spanish hogfish which I hadn't caught before, and a couple keeper grouper. We were there primarily for lobster. Did very well on those. If you have the opportunity to pick up the Aqua Salt do youself a favor and get one. Of all my spydies this is one of my favorites. Have both the PE and serrated. I think Sal also designed this knife. Another classic Spydie in H-1.

Went to breakfast at the Hungry Tarpon/Robbie's after the ride through the mangrove cut. Folks really enjoy that ride the first time. Some years back, my daughter was pulled in the water feeding the tarpon.

Folks say you lose track of time in the Keys....I lose track of the days :D

Teflon, I have an Emerson Endura 4. I challange anyone with an auto knife to get it out of their pocket and open faster. Great knife and no legality issues.

The only Salt I currently have is a Schempp Rock. Of course I'll buy the ARK just as soon as it's ready...

Teflon, I have an Emerson Endura 4. I challange anyone with an auto knife to get it out of their pocket and open faster. Great knife and no legality issues.

I have no doubt only a fixed blade will technically be faster than a waved knife. That being said, autos can be cool too.

The only Salt I currently have is a Schempp Rock. Of course I'll buy the ARK just as soon as it's ready...

The Schempp Rock is made in VG-10. It was a remake of the previous version 'Rock Salt' which was made in H-1. Both are very cool knives.

Got some mackerel and grouper this morning off the kayak. I filleted this guy with my pm2. I had put a hairsplitting edge on the knife and just wanted to use it. Took about 20 seconds! Mackerel is a really easy fish to filet anyway, but the edge I had on my pm2 cut through it like it wasnt even there! I was outside without a cutting board so when I had my two long filets and wanted to cut them in half I was able to hold em up by one end and push/slice cut em in half in one pass. Forget the paper test! Mackerel test! ;). Man, I love a sharp knife!

A20F69EF-CDE4-46B3-989C-8669ADC2B8FD-10765-00000F4038D8F2C4_zps18c10490.jpg

Always wanted to catch a tarpon. There are a few schools of them within the first mile of the seven-mile bridge in South FL. Otherwise, I must have driven by Robbie's a dozen times and never really checked them out. Those pics really changed my mind.

By the way, for casual fun, I highly recommend discovery cove at Orlando FL. They have a man-made reef that's been a joy to go swimming in. Swimming through schools of mullets, parrot fish, rays, etc is quite an experience. They also have a fake sunken ship on the bottom you can swim down to, and see barracudas on the other side of plexiglass.

On a spyderco topic, I ran across this:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Autonomy-Automatic-Knife-3--14709

spyderco-autonomy-c165gsbbk.jpg

I had no idea Spyderco made an automatic folder in H1. Anyone here played around with this?

Boom! That is a new knife on the way! Tx. is gonna let me have "switch blades" after 9/1/13. I could own them anyway, being a fireman, but this opens a lot of doors.

I've been looking for a Rock Salt but they are few and far between. I've read the thread on the ARK. Any timeline? And will Sal make it in H1?

I've been looking for a Rock Salt but they are few and far between. I've read the thread on the ARK. Any timeline? And will Sal make it in H1?

I missed the boat on the Rock Salt too.

As for ARK, the slim chance it'll be in H1 is if they're a japanese model to begin with. With H-1 exclusively made in Seki City, only the Japanese made models (delica, endura, dragonfly, etc) seem to get a conversion now and then.

I've been used to carrying ZTs at work for light tasks to cutting branches etc. But thought it would be nice to have a knife I could do food prep with as well and not care about any parts of it rusting. I'm so impressed with my Pacific Salt so far and have become a Spyderco fan. My ZT 0561 and Pacific will be fighting for pocket time that's for sure. That H-1 takes a wicked edge on the strop by the way, it may not keep it super long but I maintain it well. It's just so nice to carelessly run the knife under hot water to clean it.

IDeM7VL.jpg

I've been used to carrying ZTs at work for light tasks to cutting branches etc. But thought it would be nice to have a knife I could do food prep with as well and not care about any parts of it rusting. I'm so impressed with my Pacific Salt so far and have become a Spyderco fan. My ZT 0561 and Pacific will be fighting for pocket time that's for sure. That H-1 takes a wicked edge on the strop by the way, it may not keep it super long but I maintain it well. It's just so nice to carelessly run the knife under hot water to clean it.

View attachment 372175

They are awesome knives for real world use. ALL Spydercos are. Try the paramilitary 2. Try the dragonfly 2. Gayle Bradley.

Just got back from a trip to NH and didn't do well fishing. Skunked on bass, but the closest one I had reminded me of surf gringo. Had a nice smallie on until he jumped like 5 feet from the boat and almost beaned me in the head with my lure! On the knife side I always have my para 2 in my pocket when I fish...pictured is the scrapyard wiener dog...

Did catch my first black crappie- nice fish and the fella had some heft. Cool looking fish.

In better fishing news, my daughter caught her 1st fish and my son cleaned up on sunfish, perch and got his 1st pickerel...

Back