SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

That's really good one.

Thanks! That is up at Lee's Ferry in AZ. Near Page. What river is that running next to the road? Looks like Rock Creek near Clinton, MT. I have fished there a few times during the Salmonfly hatch, that is a blast! So far I haven't fished anywhere that beat Montana!

Thanks! That is up at Lee's Ferry in AZ. Near Page. What river is that running next to the road? Looks like Rock Creek near Clinton, MT. I have fished there a few times during the Salmonfly hatch, that is a blast! So far I haven't fished anywhere that beat Montana!

That's a close guess, for sure. It's heading South towards Holter Lake near Great Falls, MT. Me and a buddy were heading towards Bozeman.

I've had some great fishing there, but I'm a salt water guy at heart :p.

I
photo.php

Caught a few jacks today, along with a small AJ, a bonito, and some grouper. I don't really eat jack so I called my buddy Pablo. He and his wife and eight kids pretty much live on rice and beans...they seem to think that Jack tastes just fine. ;). He was stoked with the meat and pretty impressed with the Pacific salt too!

C7332D93-872A-412E-801A-379B333362A5-13140-0000125D9A8B9BF9_zpsff05de38.jpg

528480C0-133E-43CC-AB30-EC7AA259381E-13140-0000125DAA186911_zps7240536d.jpg

Yeah, he road off happy with a 15 pound fish gill-stuck on each handlebar of his bike! For sure they are stoked. Pablo's good people. Nicaraguan immigrant and a very good baseball player. He and I actually started, equipped and coached a team of Nicaraguan players here. It was a good time!

That is awesome S.G. I am really enjoying all your pics and stories! I used to fish a lot more when I lived in the PNW, but the lack of rain here in AZ is really nice!

I was wondering about that jack in an earlier picture that looked like it was being kept. I've never eaten one, but they are one of my favorite fish to catch. Hit like a freight train and don't know the meaning of quit!

Yup, they'll fight almost like little tuna! I got a bigger one today and it was a 15 minute fight and he dragged my kayak about 400 yards before I finally landed him!

I've eaten jack. There ain't nothing wrong with it if you're hungry! I can soak it in milk then bread it and fry it and you'd be hard pressed to guess you were eating jack. Most people who say Jack sucks have never even tried it. I've got a freezer full of better stuff though, so Pablo and other friends get the jacks! ;)

Looks like Pablo might be in line for a salt some time. I'm sure he would treasure it if someone "donated" one to him & his family. Nice report on the fishing!

Looks like Pablo might be in line for a salt some time. I'm sure he would treasure it if someone "donated" one to him & his family. Nice report on the fishing!

Yup, I'm sure he would. I gave away 4 knives last month to local guys here. Yeah, they were cheap gerbers and a swiss army and they were all used, but man, it was awesome. Our maintenance guy where I live got the swiss army. You'd think I gave him a sebenza! ;). He's 29 years old and he looked like a 9 yr old on Christmas Day. His hands were shaking when I handed it to him. That's no joke. You've gotta remember though that it would cost him a weeks salary to buy the knife. I think I might enjoy giving a knife away more than I enjoy getting one!

Hehehe...having said all that, I'm not letting go of either of my salts anytime soon! Sorry Pablo! Anybody's got one gathering dust that they want to pass along I'll deliver it and post pics, but Pablo only gets to LOOK at mine! :).

Anyone use Spyderco’s Enuff Sheepfoot in H-1 steel? It's basically a Salt fixed blade knife with a small balde.

FB31YL_L.jpg

H-1 Enuff Serrated Sheepfoot (FB31SYL) Specifications:
length overall 6.75" (171 mm)
cutting edge 2.54" (65 mm)
blade length 2.75" (70 mm)
blade thickness 0.157" (4 mm)
blade steel H-1
handle material FRN
weight 3.9 oz (111 g)

I love my Atlantic Salt. Some Glamor shots

DSCN1226800x600.jpg

DSCN1242800x600.jpg

DSCN1244800x600.jpg

DSCN1249600x800.jpg

DSCN1250600x800.jpg

DSCN1253600x800.jpg

My Salt-1....that I believe is somewhere around 6 or 7 years old now. It did not have the H-1 logo on the blade.

DSCF3654_zpsad843f49.jpg

DSCF3655_zps3ff17fb2.jpg

Regrind

DSCF3657_zps144c5a08.jpg

DSCF3658_zps102f3aab.jpg

DSCF3656_zps12e9324d.jpg

Here you can see the Salt-1 and Atlantic after the regrinds:

[video=youtube;wrU6LqxZmQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrU6LqxZmQE[/video]

Back